Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ed Smith would have been superb...but I guess his Today FM contract wouldn't allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭pale blue dot cotton

Seminal Merchandising were behind the programme, I don't know if they also done the tee shirts but no harm in throwing them an email. http://www.seminalmerchandising.com/ and Redman Aka was behind the lanyard http://thisareredmanaka.com/ Both these items were available at the merchandising stall. The label on my EP t-shirt says Continental so I haven't a notion really, maybe contact the addresses above they might know who you can get in touch with.

PS: firebrandlive.com also done them back in 2010, so I don't know if they are still behind the tee shirt designs and what not, but worth checking them too. http://firebrandlive.com/

Cheers, thanks for the info. But my point was that from a business point of view, they'd make more money on merch when people are leaving then when they've left and are forced to mail the suppliers direct. Maybe if it was a 3rd party looking after it all they left after the festival ended on the Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I think she died a good few years ago, what about Michelle Doherty or Elton Mullally who presented Under Ether, they definitely knew their stuff. Amazing presenters and journalists sitting under their nose, I hope they think it out better for next year as this years coverage wasn't great bar the few clips shown. Someone else mentioned why didn't they do the programme on Sunday instead, that way we might have got more Saturday night sets as well as some Sunday ones too.

Uaneen Fitzsimons?

Uaneen was great, wonderful knowledge and taste in music & enough cop on to give interviewees the spotlight, as opposed of the moronic attention grabbers RTE go for these days.

Such a shame she wasn't around to see EP, she would have lived and breathed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Uaneen was as influential in my tastes in music as my bro and sis. Loved No Disco when she was presenting it. Always had amazing tunes. Introduced to so many bands.

Uaneen was as influential in my tastes in music as my bro and sis. Loved No Disco when she was presenting it. Always had amazing tunes. Introduced to so many bands.

Yeah, i'd say a lot of people in a fairly narrow age bracket would say the same.

Impressive for the relatively short time she was on the airwaves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Wow that looks class, looks like the Pink Floyd lasers from the late 1980s , Bestival.

10635972_10152697128275135_2076970038273444641_n.jpg?oh=2b1775b69b1906c66e9a0fd1cec0d1b9&oe=54887786&__gda__=1418505277_243bb7b91f892c63d875c0230c44e1bd

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I wanna go back to the Picnic, damn it anyway I have to wait another year now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

I just sorted my ticket for next year in the installment plan so that has slightly cheered me up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

I wanna go back to the Picnic, damn it anyway I have to wait another year now. :(

It's an awful feeling knowing you're at the furthest point from festival season once it's over and at the same time not wanting to wish away a year of your life for a festival! boo to the blues!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Would there be any advantage to having EP on in say early June or the end of May?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

ah there's the start of festival season in May to keep everyone satisfied in the meantime.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Would there be any advantage to having EP on in say early June or the end of May?

None that i can think of.

You could just go to Body & Soul in June, early bird prices about 80 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

nicer weather but would probably run into clashes with other european festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

There is less going on late August Early September on the festival circuit compared to June July, would be far tougher and possibly pricier to book bands. EP doesnt really work in partnership with a sister festival in the Uk like longitude/latitude and Oxegen/T in the Park. Security companys vendors etc are far busier too.

One thing about the weekend they are holding it on, they are losing electronic acts to the Electric Zoo in New York on the same weekend, for the most part its an EDM ****fest but some good acts do get snapped up by them.
    The other thing i have noticed is that some acts start heading over to US for the Autumn festival circuit that weekend.

The weekend its on has its flaws but its worked out well, it was very well thought out from day one. It kept school kids to a minimum which is what made the festival over the years. The weather has worked out very well except for the storm in 2010 a few wet days here and there and some very cold night.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

lbj666 wrote: »
    The weather has worked out very well except for the storm in 2010 a few wet days here and there and some very cold night.

that storm was awful! I had to leave massive attack early on in their set. That night my tent wall was pressed against my face the wind was so bad.

lbj666 wrote: »
    There is less going on late August Early September on the festival circuit compared to June July, would be far tougher and possibly pricier to book bands. EP doesnt really work in partnership with a sister festival in the Uk like longitude/latitude and Oxegen/T in the Park. Security companys vendors etc are far busier too.

One thing about the weekend they are holding it on, they are losing electronic acts to the Electric Zoo in New York on the same weekend, for the most part its an EDM ****fest but some good acts do get snapped up by them.
    The other thing i have noticed is that some acts start heading over to US for the Autumn festival circuit that weekend.

The weekend its on has its flaws but its worked out well, it was very well thought out from day one. It kept school kids to a minimum which is what made the festival over the years. The weather has worked out very well except for the storm in 2010 a few wet days here and there and some very cold night.

They did in 2007 and 2008 with Scotland, Scotland had Connect festival that occurred the same weekend with more or less the same line up and boutique idea albeit with a smaller capacity 20,000. Sadly it wasn't as successful as the Picnic at the time plus both Connect editions suffered atrocious weather, lots of rain. The Picnic in 2007 had one mad downpour for an hour on the Sunday afternoon so everyone rushed into the EA for the Beastie Boys and Sunday 2008 the skies opened up about 1.30 am, so the Picnic fared a bit better than most. There is also End of the Road festival that shared some of the same acts the same weekend this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connect_Music_Festival

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

that storm was awful! I had to leave massive attack early on in their set. That night my tent wall was pressed against my face the wind was so bad.

As bad as the storm was it's actually one of my fondest memories of Electric Picnic. The guy at Massive Attack wearing nothing but shorts, sandles & sunglasses is still brought up everytime me and a mate talk about EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Although it gets cold at night for the EP, it's bearable provided you're prepared with extra blankets/sleeping bags etc.
    Glastonbury this year was at the other end of the scale! Air temps were 25-27deg and fook me it felt like double that in the tent, chap stick melted out from the container, as soon as the morning sun came out that was it no chance of sleeping (for me anyway) lack of sleep is mental torture!
    So I think the EP is nicely positioned on the Calendar!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Although it gets cold at night for the EP, it's bearable provided you're prepared with extra blankets/sleeping bags etc.
    Glastonbury this year was at the other end of the scale! Air temps were 25-27deg and fook me it felt like double that in the tent, chap stick melted out from the container, as soon as the morning sun came out that was it no chance of sleeping (for me anyway) lack of sleep is mental torture!
    So I think the EP is nicely positioned on the Calendar!

Last year was Baltic though, but only at night. But yeah, as much as the sun is great and it initially puts everybody in great spirits, it can become like torture if it's relentless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Yeah actually delighted it wasnt as sunny for EP as it was this weekend just gone. Would have been grand on the friday when you're setting up and fresh, but alcohol, dehydration and the rest mixed with constant sun, is an absolute nightmare.

• Advertisement

I just remembered a heart warming memory of sitting in the main arena somewhere, one of the benches and this rubbish picker (Green Warden) was picking up rubbish around me and I said to him, relax, sit down a few minutes have a rollie and I offered him my pouch of tobacco and he turned to me and said, 'I have something for you' and he handed me a full pack of cigarettes and a full pouch of tobacco, he said he didn't smoke but found these when he was cleaning up, I thought that was a really nice touch. It sorted me for smokes for the next two days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Anyone keen to catch Tradiohead again should head along to The Cobblestone on October 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I just remembered a heart warming memory of sitting in the main arena somewhere, one of the benches and this rubbish picker (Green Warden) was picking up rubbish around me and I said to him, relax, sit down a few minutes have a rollie and I offered him my pouch of tobacco and he turned to me and said, 'I have something for you' and he handed me a full pack of cigarettes and a full pouch of tobacco, he said he didn't smoke but found these when he was cleaning up, I thought that was a really nice touch. It sorted me for smokes for the next two days.

Dammit, I lost a full sealed pouch the first night and was deeply upset at having to smoke cigarettes all weekend cos they can't sell tobacco in the shops.
    Mental why they can't sell it,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

would you not have just walked to Stradbally village to get some?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Han534

Best weekend ever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

would you not have just walked to Stradbally village to get some?

Should have done but had bought the cigarettes at that stage and they ain't cheap and I was broke. Rationed for the weekend and got donated a bit of baccie by one of our nice camp neighbours.

Taking about neighbours it suddenly occurred to me I never mentioned one if our experiences in the Oscar Wilde.
    A couple of times I've been told that our neighbours at the back questioned people going into our tent to make sure it was theirs or they had good reason to be in there. Was really impressed by that and people looking out for each other, just cos some people had a different experience so thought is mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Electric Picnic posted this today. I'm not sure if it will help or hinder post-festival blues :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,953 ✭✭✭paulbok

Not feasible.

They depend on using neighbouring farmers fields for car parks and they don't cut the crops until mid August.
    Even if part of the estate it would mean paying them well to have the fields free earlier in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

paulbok wrote: »
    Not feasible.

They depend on using neighbouring farmers fields for car parks and they don't cut the crops until mid August.
    Even if part of the estate it would mean paying them well to have the fields free earlier in the year.

I heard a rumour that they just plough the whole land after with all the rubbish and left-overs, is this true? or is a clean up done first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

pretty sure most, if not all, of those fields used for car parking don't have crops in them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement