Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I will have to wait and see about this when more bands are added, the only band on it that I have not seen before and would be interested in would be Slowdive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Gerdev wrote: »
    Very underwhelming line up in my opinion. I know a lot of the 'seasoned' EP'ers would consider this to be a return to form of sorts for Electric Picnic, mainly due to the high number of indie pop bands on the bill. But come on, regardless of the EP ethos, its not hard to see that the line up is completely lacking in energy and any sort of stand out acts (apart form maybe Outkast). I know I will probably told to 'go back to Oxegen' for this type of heresy, but I believe the organisers dropped the ball big time with this line up. As it was a huge chance to build on last years success. I don't think any one would be confident in saying that it will sell out, as there is simply not enough pulling power.
    Last years success was extremely off-putting for long times goers. All the wrong types of people turning up for Fatboy Slim and Arctic Monkeys aren't much better.
    This lineup is far more indicative of the type of festival EP is, and the promoters are showing that by avoiding booking bigger acts just to sell out. It's gratifying that they're not going that the same route Oxegen went down.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

Shocking line-up.

OutKast are the only standout act.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I hate to say it and I'll probably be lynched considering their absolutely diabolical cover of Rhythm of the Night but I have to say I'm a little disappointed at no Bastille.
    I know they're playing Longitude but Meh to the rest.

Settled for me anyway, Forbidden Fruit Saturday for the Flips, Flylo and **** Buttons, Longitude Sunday for Massive Attack and EP weekend. Good summer ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

The branding this year is much nicer than last years rank one, which is the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I know it's his most known song probably but I just can't wait for

"I'm a loser babyyyyyy, so why don't you kill meeeee" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lop11

Does anyone know how to go about getting the loyalty code from a ticketmaster outlet? When you bring in your proof is it up to the person working there to give out the code or does the proof have to be sent off to someone to process before you get it?

Loser, Where It's At, Devil's Haircut and E-Pro will all be big sing-alongs I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gerdev

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Last years success was extremely off-putting for long times goers. All the wrong types of people turning up for Fatboy Slim and Arctic Monkeys aren't much better.
    This lineup is far more indicative of the type of festival EP is, and the promoters are showing that by avoiding booking bigger acts just to sell out. It's gratifying that they're not going that the same route Oxegen went down.

But even the quintessential EP bands that played last year are better than this year. For example- My Bloody Valentine > Pet Shop Boys , Ocean Colour Scene > Paolo Nutini , Robert Plant > Chic.
    The classic 'I liked EP before it was popular' argument doesn't change the fact that the line up is extremely lacking. That said, hopefully the promoters will flesh it out with some better acts in the coming weeks and months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

God, all the idiots punters complaining about the line up.

Beck has a sh!tload of great songs.

St. Vincent's recent gig in the Olympia was one of the best gigs I ever saw.

Portishead are usually astonishing live.

Whatever you think, Pet Shop Boys always put on a great show.

Etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Simple Minds, jay-sus, not seen them live since 1989 when they played the RDS, think it was the day I got my leaving cert results.

Here come the obnoxious 'how dare you complain about the line up' gang.

For the guts of 200 quid, people are entitled to criticise the line up.

Not eveyone is a fan of the Pet Shop Boys or Simple Minds.

I'll be sure to forward the line up to my grandad though. He'll probably love it.

But even the quintessential EP bands that played last year are better than this year. For example- My Bloody Valentine > Pet Shop Boys , Ocean Colour Scene > Paolo Nutini , Robert Plant > Chic.
    The classic 'I liked EP before it was popular' argument doesn't change the fact that the line up is extremely lacking. That said, hopefully the promoters will flesh it out with some better acts in the coming weeks and months.
    On what planet are those three the quintessential EP bands? Paolo Nutini? Christ. Portishead> MBV Slow Dive > OCS Beck > Bjork.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭beansybeansy

St Vincent and David Byrne were biblically good at EP last year and I agree, the gig at the Olympia was one of the best ive ever seen. She would kill it on the big stage. Luckily im going to see her - and several of the other announced acts - at Primavera this year. This is shaping up to be a great summer

I'm going to be the assh*le at Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks screaming for Pavement songs, he'll like that :P

BadTurtle wrote: »

Don't think for one second that the EP organisers give two hoots about what you think or want.

They've successfully found a niche were suckers will now go every year with a weak lineup because they're under an illusion of the festival being 'something different'.

This is the same festival that had Chemical Brothers, Basement Jaxx, Fatboy Slim etc. etc. as headliners.

The EP pot isn't as deep as it once was, hence the lineup reverting to a much lower key, cheaper option.

Well this thread is like a little ray of sunshine isn't it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Jazzzman wrote: »
    Don't think for one second that the EP organisers give two hoots about what you think or want.

They've successfully found a niche were suckers will now go every year with a weak lineup because they're under an illusion of the festival being 'something different'.

This is the same festival that had Chemical Brothers, Basement Jaxx, Fatboy Slim etc. etc. as headliners.

The EP pot isn't as deep as it once was, hence the lineup reverting to a much lower key, cheaper option.

Yo Jazzzman calm down, its only the first announcement and more getting added at 7pm, there will probably be another 7 announcements over the coming months.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Mince Pie wrote: »

A bit, I think the line up looks f'n great meself so far.

• Advertisement

A bit, I think the line up looks f'n great meself so far.

Me too! :D

Mince Pie wrote: »

I'm very excited :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭endainoz

Now its time for the fun part, spending most of the day on youtube finding out about the bands I dont know about. Last year got to discover Parquet Courts and Chvrches amongst others, so far this years new cool band seems to be London Grammar. Amazing stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I would be in the camp of "it's good but missing a un-missable headliner"

Hoping for another sneaky big addition in a next announcement. The Knife were my highlight last year!

Going regardless! Time to brush up on all the bands I should know!

Maybe Moderat will be added to the 7pm announcement, it would be nice anyways.

I'm still holding out for QOTSA and a big dance act yet.

A man can dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭recyclebin

That line up doesn't offer a lot for me. Electric Picnic are going back to their roots with it.

A lot of those who got too old for Oxegen and moved to Electric Picnic last year will be left disappointed.

recyclebin wrote: »
    That line up doesn't offer a lot for me. Electric Picnic are going back to their roots with it.

A lot of those who got too old for Oxegen and moved to Electric Picnic last year will be left disappointed.

In a way I don't mind that too much, it was a bit messy last year at times, hopefully that carnival will revert back to the novelty thing it was from previous Picnics too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Comparing those bands is like comparing chalk and cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

People complaining about the line up..well that's surprising. It could have had every single band to cater to every single persons taste and there would still be someone giving out about it.

Yet watch it sell out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement