Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Don't really get people saying this will appeal to mid-20's demographic, Portishead last played here 17 years ago, Pet Shop Boys were in their prime in the 90s, Chic before then. Simple Minds, The Blades are def before someone born in 88/89's time. Same for Slowdive and the Stranglers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

tumblr_mmo5mgR4qw1rw5ztvo1_500.jpg

That's what this place has been like since 12PM today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Jazzzman wrote: »
    Don't think for one second that the EP organisers give two hoots about what you think or want.

They've successfully found a niche were suckers will now go every year with a weak lineup because they're under an illusion of the festival being 'something different'.

This is the same festival that had Chemical Brothers, Basement Jaxx, Fatboy Slim etc. etc. as headliners.

The EP pot isn't as deep as it once was, hence the lineup reverting to a much lower key, cheaper option.
    Gerdev wrote: »
    Very underwhelming line up in my opinion. I know a lot of the 'seasoned' EP'ers would consider this to be a return to form of sorts for Electric Picnic, mainly due to the high number of indie pop bands on the bill. But come on, regardless of the EP ethos, its not hard to see that the line up is completely lacking in energy and any sort of stand out acts (apart form maybe Outkast). I know I will probably told to 'go back to Oxegen' for this type of heresy, but I believe the organisers dropped the ball big time with this line up. As it was a huge chance to build on last years success. I don't think any one would be confident in saying that it will sell out, as there is simply not enough pulling power.

Excellent, exactly the type of punter i was hoping would be upset.

I thought the festival was in terminal decline but they've really pulled it out of the bag, that's a fantastic line up of music for an initial announcement.

Well done EP imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gerdev

Comparing those bands is like comparing chalk and cheese.

I'm more so comparing the fan reaction as opposed to the actually music style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

'Who the feck are Outkast, do they do that ms Jackson song? They're ****e headliners!'

'The only exciting or innovative act on that lineup is Outkast, this won't sell out'

Make up your mind naysayers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Gerdev

Excellent, exactly the type of punter i was hoping would be upset.

Sums up the pretentiousness of the typical EP hipster perfectly.
    I have been going to EP for years and just because I am disappointed with acts like Foals and London Grammar, it doesn't mean I want Sweedish House Mafia or Tiesto to play. And as for for Portishead, fair enough they are were a good band. But their live performance is awful nowadays (see:Glastonbury 2013 performance)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I think its a decent line-up, typical of EP, I wouldn't expect anything else (The Killers was just bizarre to have at EP)

You can set your watch by complaints about the EP line-up in this forum on announcement day every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I know it sounds bad but the only people that are really let down, or so it seems to be (obviously not everyone) , are the people that moved over to EP from Oxegen last year.

There is definitely enough there to get excited about especially with more to be announced :D

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭strawberryb0y

They're funny aren't they. The best ones are the ones who come out with "I've been going to EP for 8 years and the crowd last year were so young and awful" while failing to grasp that the demographic hasn't really changed, they're just 8 years older than they were when they started going.

I have been going to EP for years and just because I am disappointed with acts like Foals and London Grammar, it doesn't mean I want Sweedish House Mafia or Tiesto to play. And as for for Portishead, fair enough they are were a good band. But their live performance is awful nowadays (see:Glastonbury 2013 performance)

"pretentious" & "hipster"

yep, very very predictable that you'd use those terms.

It's an excellent line up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I've always wanted to know, do hipsters actually know that they are hipsters? Or is it just other peoples perception?
    Am I a hipster? How do I find out?

I know it sounds bad but the only people that are really let down, or so it seems to be (obviously not everyone) , are the people that moved over to EP from Oxegen last year.

There is definitely enough there to get excited about especially with more to be announced :D

yep, they get very hormonal.

Mince Pie wrote: »
    I've always wanted to know, do hipsters actually know that they are hipsters? Or is it just other peoples perception?

Do you like the line-up? Then you may well be a hipster :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Anyone think a good dance act like Paul Kalkbrenner will play (played EP in 2011)

Any chance of Jagwar Ma playing? Their Whelan's gig sold out months and months ago. They also appear to be free that weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

They never know.
    They get extremely annoyed when people call them hipsters though, if more than one person has referred to you as a hipster then chances are, you are one.

Have you ever uttered the phrase as a means of conversation "Yeah, I knew about [insert subject] years ago, it was much better back then"
    Yup, hipster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Outkast and Beck. Noice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Most hipsters actually like complaining about other hipsters :pac:

The lineup is good, not fantastic, but people should be expecting this, with the economic climate the way it has been the last few years you are not gonna be seeing lineups with the quality and quantity that we had circa 2005-2009 here or in Europe for a couple of years yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

GenieOz wrote: »
    They never know.
    They get extremely annoyed when people call them hipsters though, if more than one person has referred to you as a hipster then chances are, you are one.

Have you ever uttered the phrase as a means of conversation "Yeah, I knew about [insert subject] years ago, it was much better back then"
    Yup, hipster.

hhhmmm, I can't recall anyone ever calling me a hipster, well at least not to my face.
    I DO like the line up.
    And I'm sure we are all guilty of the immortal "Yeah, I new about...." at some stage.
    More investigation needed. Analysis inconclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rockey4215

Hey, to anyone who emailed them requesting a code, how long was it before they replied? Emailed them yesterday, still nothing. Hoping to get my ticket tonight. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

do you listen to any band that has

a) never played during the X-Factor results show?
    or
    b) collaborated with Will.I.Am?

if so, you're a hipster and/or a music snob.

Surely claiming that all a band's music is as good as it ever was is a bit silly though? Surely it's not "hip" to be objective? I mean Heathen Chemistry was worse than (What's the Story) Morning Glory? Does that make me an Oasis hipster?!

rockey4215 wrote: »
    Hey, to anyone who emailed them requesting a code, how long was it before they replied? Emailed them yesterday, still nothing. Hoping to get my ticket tonight. Thanks!

Emailed them last night and got it this morning

do you listen to any band that has

a) never played during the X-Factor results show?
    or
    b) collaborated with Will.I.Am?

if so, you're a hipster and/or a music snob.

This definition is just about spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Forgot about the hipster debates that always follow an EP announcement. Great.

So, Electric Picnic or Longtitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rockey4215

Emailed them last night and got it this morning

Damn. All right, guess I'll have to start annoying them. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I have seen 14 of the bands announced already, does that make me a hipster or am I a hipster because I have not seen the rest.

So, Electric Picnic or Longtitude?

Electric Picnic

by a wide margin

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    I have seen 14 of the bands announced already, does that make me a hipster or am I a hipster because I have not seen the rest.

Both

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement