Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

So, Electric Picnic or Longtitude?

Electric Picnic, besides two bands at Longitude, I would have no interest or own anything by the other bands on the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

maximoose wrote: »
    Forgot about the hipster debates that always follow an EP announcement. Great.

The old post line-up announcement hipster debates were the best. Those were the days. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's a good lineup, but missing that, as a poster said earlier, unmissable headliner.

Portishead aren't as great live now as they used to be. Beck, Metronomy and Foals would get a thumbs up from me definitely. Outkast I can take or leave, they would be an interesting band to see live but I wouldn't go out of my way to see them. I don't get the whole Chic explosion either really, they're a fun disco act with an outstanding musician to lead them, but I wouldn't stand around for hours and listen to them.

St.Vincent is also another great addition, any fans of female vocalists should definitely go see her instead of London Grammar if they happen to clash. It'll be interesting to see if they have 1 big name left in them to announce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

What time is the next announcement actually?

BadTurtle wrote: »
    On what planet are those three the quintessential EP bands? Paolo Nutini? Christ. Portishead> MBV Slow Dive > OCS Beck > Bjork.

Ah now. Let's not go nuts here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

What time is the next announcement actually?

Electric Picnic
    Tickets for #ElectricPicnic2014 will now go on sale at 5PM TODAY!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Still 7pm according to ticketbastard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Sell the tickets at 5 because there is no one being announced at 7!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gerdev

Corholio wrote: »
    It's a good lineup, but missing that, as a poster said earlier, unmissable headliner.

Exactly! Generally speaking, the first thing people look at when checking out line ups is the top 3 headliners. And unfortunately, Portishead Outkast and Beck are the weakest top 3 headliners Electric Picnic has ever produced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

So, Electric Picnic or Longtitude?

tumblr_inline_mw9ym9HzAr1reao9v.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I would consider Outkast a great headliner, they will being some great energy anyway.

I would consider Foals headliner material ahead of Portishead anyway.

Gerdev wrote: »
    Exactly! Generally speaking, the first thing people look at when checking out line ups is the top 3 headliners. And unfortunately, Portishead Outkast and Beck are the weakest top 3 headliners Electric Picnic has ever produced.

Why would you categorise them as weak headliners?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Outkast are a great headliner IMO.

GenieOz wrote: »
    "Yeah, I knew about [insert subject] years ago, it was much better back then"
    Yup, hipster.

If you insert 'Electric Picnic' in to that it becomes a perfect description of some of the EP die-hards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Regarding ticket prices, will they be doing a similar discount to the one they did last year if you can produce tickets, wristbands, etc. to show that you've attended previous years?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Regarding ticket prices, will they be doing a similar discount to the one they did last year if you can produce tickets, wristbands, etc. to show that you've attended previous years?
    http://electricpicnic.ie/tickets1

To answer your question, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Jazzzman wrote: »
    Don't think for one second that the EP organisers give two hoots about what you think or want.

They've successfully found a niche were suckers will now go every year with a weak lineup because they're under an illusion of the festival being 'something different'.

This is the same festival that had Chemical Brothers, Basement Jaxx, Fatboy Slim etc. etc. as headliners.

The EP pot isn't as deep as it once was, hence the lineup reverting to a much lower key, cheaper option.
    I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Fatboy Slim played a pub in Cork for Arthurs Day not long ago.
    Basement Jaxx are sub sub headliners at Wireless, below Pharrell Williams, Rudimental and, yes, OutKast, in billing. Chemical Brothers play every few years, and it's hard not to get sick of them.
    You're just upset because there isn't a big dance act playing really. Portishead, OutKast, Beck etc are decent sized headliners, just not the ones you wanted.

Roxy Music, Massive Attack & Leftfield? Not bad headliners, but not huge acts. The fact that you don't like them (realistically - don't know them) is not a deciding factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

If you insert 'Electric Picnic' in to that it becomes a perfect description of some of the EP die-hards.

and they're hipsters, no point denying it.

• Advertisement

Roxy Music, Massive Attack & Leftfield?

Roxy and Leftfield yes. The phrase 'weak headliner' could never be used about Massive Attack though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Outkast are good enough to headline Coachella but not EP?

Roxy Music, Massive Attack & Leftfield? Not bad headliners, but not huge acts. The fact that you don't like them (realistically - don't know them) is not a deciding factor.

I would consider both Massive Attack and Leftfield to be better headliners than Beck and Portishead. Both in terms of their live performance and song selection. (and yes I do know them very well indeed)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

a lot people need to realise this debate is totally subjective and all a matter of opinion. One mans weak headliner is another mans brilliant headliner. stupid discussion really. there will always be someone saying its **** and someone saying its brilliant. there is no right or wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Delighted with this. Should draw a slightly more mature crowd than last year. Although I did enjoy it last year Arctic Monkeys and Disclosure brought in a few more scummers than id have liked.
    miller82 wrote: »
    a lot people need to realise this debate is totally subjective and all a matter of opinion. One mans weak headliner is another mans brilliant headliner. stupid discussion really. there will always be someone saying its **** and someone saying its brilliant. there is no right or wrong

All very true, but that doesn't stop morons from arguing about it, just take a look at the EP facebook page.

Don't know why some people are so upset and throwing terms like 'hipster' or 'pretentious' around the place. Every big festival lineup announcement will always bring discussion, disappointment, agreement and disagreement. Why would someone not be disappointed about a band they don't like? It's just human nature.

I'm relatively content with the lineup but still missing a big headliner IMO. I also think it's missing a few real surprises out of the bag, ones like David Byrne or The Cure etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Becks setlist will be interesting, no doubt he will rollout the classics, but his new album is quite mellow, think Sea Change for people who have not heard it yet.

Corholio wrote: »
    Roxy and Leftfield yes. The phrase 'weak headliner' could never be used about Massive Attack though.
    I'm not suggesting they're a weak headliner. But they're not a big band. They haven't had a hit song or album in over 15 years. They headline on reputation. Like Portishead, Leftfield, Roxy Music, Sex Pistols, Beck, George Clinton, Orbital, New Order, The Cure, Pulp....errrr most EP headliners, in fact, barring those deigned good enough from the current crop (Arcade Fire, Sigur Ros, Elbow)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Fatboy Slim played a pub in Cork for Arthurs Day not long ago.
    Basement Jaxx are sub sub headliners at Wireless, below Pharrell Williams, Rudimental and, yes, OutKast, in billing. Chemical Brothers play every few years, and it's hard not to get sick of them.
    You're just upset because there isn't a big dance act playing really. Portishead, OutKast, Beck etc are decent sized headliners, just not the ones you wanted.

Sorry to disappoint, but I don't listen to dance music. My point of mentioning the dance acts was to highlight how your beloved boutique festival all too frequently panders to the dance audience.

I'm excited about OutKast.

Portishead? Their '13 Glasto gig was beyond boring. No ta.

Beck? 1997 called. It wants it's headline act back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Uh, I'd like to hear from Sideshow Mel!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement