Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gerdev

Corholio wrote: »
    Don't know why some people are so upset and throwing terms like 'hipster' or 'pretentious' around the place. Every big festival lineup announcement will always bring discussion, disappointment, agreement and disagreement.

Agreed. But this is why we love festival season!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Gerdev wrote: »
    I would consider both Massive Attack and Leftfield to be better headliners than Beck and Portishead. Both in terms of their live performance and song selection. (and yes I do know them very well indeed)
    Utterly subjective though. Massive Attack and Portishead are so similar in terms of popularity and performance style you really weaken your argument by even noting your preference for one or the other.
    Beck is more popular than Leftfield. That's just a fact, really. He's a bigger artist, and he stole the show from Radiohead at a gig in Marlay Park, so I wouldn't write him off until you see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

Exactly! Generally speaking, the first thing people look at when checking out line ups is the top 3 headliners. And unfortunately, Portishead Outkast and Beck are the weakest top 3 headliners Electric Picnic has ever produced.

Oh ffs, Fatboy Slim headlined last year.

The likes of Festival Republic/MCD can't pluck headliners out of thin air, they can only go on bands/acts that are touring around the end of August/start of September and on a very rare occasion an exception to that rule will be made.

I think what you really should have said was "I don't like Portishead, Outkast or Beck, I'd rather have x, y and z in there instead".

For the record, I would consider 2012 to have had the worst headliners. You have to hand it to The Killers: they just won't **** the **** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Head down to Outkast on the day and see how weak they are. They'll absolutely rock it. Beck and Portishead are also a good call. Elbow and The Killers were two of the big headliners the last time I was there, and I may as well have been at Oxegen. I'm not a huge fan of any of this year's big names, but they're well suited to Electric Picnic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

BadTurtle wrote: »
    For the record, I would consider 2012 to have had the worst headliners. You have to hand it to The Killers: they just won't **** the **** off.

You'll probably be on here in 15 years time cheer leading their reunion appearance at EP, whilst casting your scorn on those of us who don't appreciate their artistic merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Any chance of Pearl Jam at this stage? Or even Aphex Twin as the dance act? I love the lineup but I think they're one big name short of selling that Sunday ticket which makes them the most profit, so there's definitely something in the pipeline IMO.

P.S. I've seen a few on here knock the Portishead performance at Glasto last year. Granted I wasn't there, but watched all of it online and was blown away. Even the number of people raving about it on eFestivals (who were there) afterwards relayed just how good it was.

Perfect mix of songs from all 3 of their albums played exceptionally well and adapted for a live setting, an intensity to their light show/projections perfect for that time of evening on the Other Stage and a breakdown of the band/punter void with Beth venturing out at the end to hug everyone in the front row. If it's anywhere near as good as that, I'll meander through B&S with a huge grin etched across my face.

Utterly subjective though. Massive Attack and Portishead are so similar in terms of popularity and performance style you really weaken your argument by even noting your preference for one or the other.
    Beck is more popular than Leftfield. That's just a fact, really. He's a bigger artist, and he stole the show from Radiohead at a gig in Marlay Park, so I wouldn't write him off until you see him.

Of course its subjective and we will obviously never come to a solid conclusion as to who would be a perfect headliner. But all in all, I believe its a rather underwhelming lineup. And like it or not Electric Picnic is now Irelands flag ship music festival. I was just expecting something a bit more adventurous I suppose. But different strokes for different folks.

Jazzzman wrote: »
    You'll probably be on here in 15 years time cheer leading their reunion appearance at EP, whilst casting your scorn on those of us who don't appreciate their artistic merit.

The Killers are a terrible band. Truly awful. If they play in 15 years time they'll pack it out, but only in an ironic, Rolf Harris at Glastonbury, kind of way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fago123

Any indication as to who the Sunday headliner will be for us un-cool day trippers? Outkast seem the best fit?

ThirdMan wrote: »
    The Killers are a terrible band. Truly awful. If they play in 15 years time they'll pack it out, but only in an ironic, Rolf Harris at Glastonbury, kind of way.
    I think he was trying (and failing) to be funny by suggesting I only like old bands because I like Portishead, Massive Attack, Beck etc. Blaming me for his goldfish memory with regards music, presumably.

I think he was trying (and failing) to be funny by suggesting I only like old bands because I like Portishead, Massive Attack, Beck etc. Blaming me for his goldfish memory with regards music, presumably.

I was being deadly serious.

Of course its subjective and we will obviously never come to a solid conclusion as to who would be a perfect headliner. But all in all, I believe its a rather underwhelming lineup. And like it or not Electric Picnic is now Irelands flag ship music festival. I was just expecting something a bit more adventurous I suppose. But different strokes for different folks.

I think EP has really fallen behind in terms of electronic acts over the past few years as well. As you say, we'll never agree on the perfect line-up, and all of the DJs and producers over the past few years have their advocates, but it's just not box office stuff anymore. John Digweed is a fantastic DJ, but he just didn't belong on that line-up in 2012.

I think EP has really fallen behind in terms of electronic acts over the past few years as well.

Absolutely! Annie Mac is pretty sweet though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I don't hate The Killers or anything, but if they play somewhere in 15 years time they will probably be seen as a pure 00's throwback. A band of their time rather than a band that transcends generations, kind of like Simple Minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Is there supposed to be another line-up announcement at 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Jazzzman wrote: »
    I was being deadly serious.

And boring. An unfunny

I think EP has really fallen behind in terms of electronic acts over the past few years as well. As you say, we'll never agree on the perfect line-up, and all of the DJs and producers over the past few years have their advocates, but it's just not box office stuff anymore. John Digweed is a fantastic DJ, but he just didn't belong on that line-up in 2012.

Who would you prefer? There aren't many leading lights in the genre that the festival hasn't booked at some stage IMO.

And boring. An unfunny

Now now. If you can't handle people bad mouthing the line up then perhaps a forum isn't the environment for you.

To think you were trolling quite well a few pages back too. Oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Come on now lads, we're all here for the music at the end of the day!

Any good speculation as to who might be announced this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Eod100 wrote: »
    Is there supposed to be another line-up announcement at 7?

media launch is at 7.

the last 2 years there have been a few additions then. doesn't neccassarily mean there'll be some tonight though.

The Killers were added at the launch in 2012.

Come on now lads, we're all here for the music at the end of the day!

Any good speculation as to who might be announced this evening?
    Chromeo. I'd imagine that'll be it for the time being. Hopefully proved wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Crossing everything for QOTSA!

Shít, not sure but does that make me a hipster?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Le_Dooner

How many acts can we expect to be announced at 7? Obviously not expecting that many 'massive' acts but is there any hope for one more headliner type act? QOTSA preferably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Mince Pie wrote: »

I've resigned myself to this not being the case, but I can still hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Wouldn't mind seeing QOTSA. Not the biggest fan but any time I've seen them they were great fun.

Mince Pie wrote: »

Likewise! But pretty sure it aint gonna happen! Cant see them being second billing to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Looking forward to the announcement at 7. Fingers crossed for another headliner and a few smaller acts this evening.
    Looking forward to the other announcements over the next few months too.
    It's shaping up to be a great festival again.

Only wish Lily Allen wasn't on the line-up as my husband loves her and I do not so it'll be difficult for me to avoid her.

Other than that I have no complaints and am really looking forward to it all!

• Advertisement

Saw QOTSA in the Odyssey before Christmas.

Enjoyable gig, albeit in a garbage venue. Setlist is decent, unsurprisingly heavy on the new stuff (which I'm not a huge fan of) but when they wheel out the oldies, it's great. The backdrop is class though, would work really well in a field at night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement