Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Can't see it being QOTSA. Chromeo has been pointed out as leaked, maybe Damon Albarn, surprised he wasn't there initially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Who would you prefer? There aren't many leading lights in the genre that the festival hasn't booked at some stage IMO.

Exactly. Genre. That's the problem. Look at the line-up in 2011* and try categorise the electronic acts that easily. I used the term box-office and it was misleading, because I don't mean big names or 'leading lights'. If that were the case John Digweed and Ben Klock would be perfect. I mean cutting-edge, and it's been lacking it of late. There's always some pretty unique stuff during the day, but when the sun goes down its business as usual. Of course everything I've just said is based on my taste in music, so as has been pointed out already these discussions are fairly pointless.

*In fairness, 2011 was a huge improvement over 2010, so I'm not saying it's on a downward spiral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Jazzzman wrote: »
    Beck? 1997 called. It wants it's headline act back.

:confused:

His new record is fantastic. One of the best albums of the year so far, and one of the best albums he has ever made. Admittedly, I don't know how it will go down in a festival setting, it is very mellow and I think it would be more suited to an intimate venue, but I'm excited to hear him live anyway.

ThirdMan wrote: »
    Exactly. Genre. That's the problem. Look at the line-up in 2011* and try categorise the electronic acts that easily. I used the term box-office and it was misleading, because I don't mean big names or 'leading lights'. If that were the case John Digweed and Ben Klock would be perfect. I mean cutting-edge, and it's been lacking it of late. There's always some pretty unique stuff during the day, but when the sun goes down its business as usual. Of course everything I've just said is based on my taste in music, so as has been pointed out already these discussions are fairly pointless.

*In fairness, 2011 was a huge improvement over 2010, so I'm not saying it's on a downward spiral.

I was quite happy with the mix over the last few years. Squarepusher, Rustie, Hudson Mohawke, DJ Shadow, Fever Ray, now Flume. Decent spread beyond heavy hitters like Chemical Brothers or Basement Jaxx.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dickfloppy

Looking at that lineup, its quite possible that oxegen will include some rock music this year. Big gap in the market for a camping festival for 18-25 year olds. Most young people wont look at this years EP lineup twice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Jazzzman wrote: »
    Now now. If you can't handle people bad mouthing the line up then perhaps a forum isn't the environment for you.

To think you were trolling quite well a few pages back too. Oh well.

You've made your point about the line up, when you keep making it, it gets boring, when you continue with that it leads to cards and bans...

As i'm feeling generous, you're not getting a ban. Just a warning. Don't post in this thread for the next 2 days. When you return, I'd advise you to alter how you express your opinion as it's not coming across very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Booked, cocked, locked and ready to rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Fugs!!

That is a propper ep line up. So much nostalgia there I could cry. Average age just jumped 5 years. I thought the stranglers were all strangled and the blades slash.... Oh you get me...

Double post sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dickfloppy

Gerdev wrote: »
    Exactly! Generally speaking, the first thing people look at when checking out line ups is the top 3 headliners. And unfortunately, Portishead Outkast and Beck are the weakest top 3 headliners Electric Picnic has ever produced.

It could badly do with a big rock act and a big dance act. Dont think it will happen tho

• Advertisement

I was quite happy with the mix over the last few years. Squarepusher, Rustie, Hudson Mohawke, DJ Shadow, Fever Ray, now Flume. Decent spread beyond heavy hitters like Chemical Brothers or Basement Jaxx.

Well I can't stand Chemical Brothers and Basement Jaxx, so I'm with you there. Different strokes I guess. And good on you for enjoying Rustie. I almost gave up on electronic music when I first heard him. He's too Boomkat for my tastes.

That is a propper ep line up. So much nostalgia there I could cry. Average age just jumped 5 years. I thought the stranglers were all strangled and the blades slash.... Oh you get me...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gerdev

There are some really sweet new Irish bands like Girl Band and Swords that should be added!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Mince Pie wrote: »
    I've always wanted to know, do hipsters actually know that they are hipsters? Or is it just other peoples perception?
    Am I a hipster? How do I find out?

Is a hippopotamus a hippopotamus or just a cool opopotamus.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sdgbt

Looking forward to these guys!

(this one is worth it for the video alone... little kid doing some amazing breakdancing - esp the last minute or two)

and Portishead, it goes without saying :)

Well I can't stand Chemical Brothers and Basement Jaxx, so I'm with you there. Different strokes I guess. And good on you for enjoying Rustie. I almost gave up on electronic music when I first heard him. He's too Boomkat for my tastes.

Rustie is one of the most interesting producers in electronic music at the moment. Some can't abide the excess, but it's a lot more palatable than the likes of Fatboy Slim or Kalkbrenner to my ears.

Rustie is one of the most interesting producers in electronic music at the moment. Some can't abide the excess, but it's a lot more palatable than the likes of Fatboy Slim or Kalkbrenner to my ears.

It's not the excess. It's the cheapness. It sounds so thin. I like the electro-funk licks he lays down, but they're just smothered in that digital sheen.

Fatboy Slim and Kalkbrenner are rubbish. I seriously cannot understand now the former has a career as a DJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Happy enough with the line up. Much improved on last year, il b going for chic alone. Now the fun starts, you tubing all the acts I've never heard of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Tickets bought.
    Deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Parish King

Sorry I haven't been following the thread particularly closely, but where have the rumours of The Killers playing come from? Also is there any chance of James Vincent McMorrow?

I'll admit that I don't know a lot of the indie bands, so the big draws for me are Outkast, Lily Allen, Foals and Paulo Nutini. I think I'm probably in between the EP and Oxegen moulds, but just have a broader exposure to the mainstream artists so was quite disappointed when Oxegen strayed into a pure dance festival. EP gives an opportunity to discover new bands though, already started listening to London Grammar and properly giving Beck a go too. I guess what I'm trying to say that it'll be great craic regardless, and a couple more mainstream acts (not even huge acts like the Killers, couldn't believe they'd been mentioned this year along with KOL and Coldplay), would help create a festival that caters for almost everyone whilst encompassing the EP spirit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

EP saying on fb there won't be any more acts announced this evening..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

It's not the excess. It's the cheapness. It sounds so thin. I like the electro-funk licks he lays down, but they're just smothered in that digital sheen.

Fatboy Slim and Kalkbrenner are rubbish. I seriously cannot understand now the former has a career as a DJ.
    I'd agree with Fatboy Slim is terrible but calling Paul Kalkbrenner rubbish is fairly harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I have a feeling no more acts will be announced tonight, hope I'm wrong though! What's the story with Chromeo being on the poster Portishead posted but no other ones? I'm quite happy with the line up so far, Chic and Outkast will be fantastic then there are a number of other bands worth seeing, surely all of the electronic acts are still to be announced too. The foundations of a fantastic weekend have been laid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Worth the ticket just to hear this live

Outkast are going to kill it.

byrneg28 wrote: »
    I'd agree with Fatboy Slim is terrible but calling Paul Kalkbrenner rubbish is fairly harsh

Fair enough. Personally, I don't really enjoy his DJ sets but I can see why other people do. However, I think his productions are really poor and I can't understand their popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

X2 loyalties in the bag! €321.20!
    Get in there!!

Eod100 wrote: »
    EP saying on fb there won't be any more acts announced this evening..
    The way the question was phrased sounded like the person expects another announcement tonight, rather than 1 or 2 more names like in previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    What are the chances of london grammar making an appearance? Playing bestival a week later and would suit EP to a t in my opinion

Praise the festival gods! :D absolutely hooked on london grammar, honestly delighted with that lineup!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Praise the festival gods! :D absolutely hooked on london grammar, honestly delighted with that lineup!

Just about to come on and ask where would one start with London Grammar and spotted Strong what a song

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

This is all very tasty. Was a Shoegaze child. Slowdive will be very interesting. They've not played for years. Just back together. Foals were brilliant a couple of years back.
    Bring is on!

Martin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement