Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Ernest Oreo

-=al=- wrote: »

Ah jaysus lads coming home a month early from my Aussie year to go to this thing...

really?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭endainoz

really?

Ha, nearly did the same thing myself for 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I've been for the last three years. The area in Oscar Wilde was definitely more packed, but the queues for toilets/beer/food were as long as ever.

Also, as another poster pointed out, the 5,000 capacity increase isn't necessarily happening this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

well they can't make the Oscar Wilde any bigger, only thing really is to extend the Joplin campsite, maybe by moving the campervan site elsewhere.

a 14% increase when it was already way too packed last year? you would definitely notice it. even just selling out last year was noticeably busier than previous years with long lines for food and toilets in the campsites.

I didn't think it was packed at any stage last year. Theres was loads of people everywhere but I didn't find it unpleasant at any stage. Its a festival with 35k people, there are always going to be massive queues for toilets and food. Its part of what happens at festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

well they can't make the Oscar Wilde any bigger, only thing really is to extend the Joplin campsite, maybe by moving the campervan site elsewhere.

a 14% increase when it was already way too packed last year? you would definitely notice it. even just selling out last year was noticeably busier than previous years with long lines for food and toilets in the campsites.
    I posted last year that there was seemed to be an overflow campsite located just past Janis Joplin and beside the Campervan area. It was almost as big as the Janis Joplin site itself but wasn't used as Janis Joplin didn't quite fill up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

MadYaker wrote: »
    I didn't think it was packed at any stage last year. Theres was loads of people everywhere but I didn't find it unpleasant at any stage. Its a festival with 35k people, there are always going to be massive queues for toilets and food. Its part of what happens at festivals.
    not really. i've been to many festivals over the years in Ireland and elsewhere that haven't had huge queues.

the queues in the campsites last year were the longest i've seen, including when EP has sold out before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Ernest Oreo

not realy. i've been to many festivals over the years in Ireland that haven't had huge queues.

the queues in the campsites last year were the longest i've seen, including when EP has sold out before.

so in other words the queues werent down to volume of visitors.
    rather poor process mgmt, or underresourcing at EP end..
    #cuttingcorners

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Some one has their info wrong, either the Times or the Sun

From the Times yesterday
    "Electric Picnic promoter Melvin Benn said the festival capacity may rise to 40,000 in future if demand warrants it.
    This capacity for this year’s festival remains at 35,000 despite last year’s festival being a sell-out and ending a run of a couple of years when the recession took its toll on numbers. In 2012 just 22,000 turned up."
    http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/beck-and-outkast-put-electric-picnic-rumours-to-rest-1.1730755

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Beans_On

Some one has their info wrong, either the Times or the Sun

From the Times yesterday
    "Electric Picnic promoter Melvin Benn said the festival capacity may rise to 40,000 in future if demand warrants it.
    This capacity for this year’s festival remains at 35,000 despite last year’s festival being a sell-out and ending a run of a couple of years when the recession took its toll on numbers. In 2012 just 22,000 turned up."
    http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/beck-and-outkast-put-electric-picnic-rumours-to-rest-1.1730755

Tht Times defo more reputable than the Sun. so fingers crossed it still 35k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Went looking online to see if I could find the planning permission application for it but google and the Laois COCO site were not forthcoming, figured it would probably be listed in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭endainoz

Went looking online to see if I could find the planning permission application for it but google and the Laois COCO site were not forthcoming, figured it would probably be listed in that.

Id say its too early for the licence application, most events don't do it until closer to the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

endainoz wrote: »
    Ha, nearly did the same thing myself for 2012

Visa expires few weeks after e.p kicks off so figured might as well try and catch it... I've been to the last few and it would be a nice way to aid the post holiday blues meyhem 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Graham1978

Have to say I'm thrilled with the line up. Would love to see JAMES added, seen them in the olympia last year and it was one of the best gigs I've been to. Roll on 29th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

The toilets were horrendous last year so I hope, if there is an increase in attendees, that the toilet situation is vastly improved.
    The toilets on the Saturday night in Body&Soul were a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hugeglobe

Very much looking forward to seeing bicep. These lads have been making serious waves lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

hugeglobe wrote: »
    Very much looking forward to seeing bicep. These lads have been making serious waves lately.

Along with Forearm and Hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

I tried to find my comment from way way back when I said I wasn't going but I couldn't.
    I bought tickets yesterday.
    Fuppin Portishead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

so in other words the queues werent down to volume of visitors.
    rather poor process mgmt, or underresourcing at EP end..
    #cuttingcorners
    well it's both really, if there was the same number of visitors as 2009-2012, the resources last year would have been fine.

if there's even more visitors this year, and only a slight increase in toilets/food outlets, then i'd expect huge queues again this year.

hopefully the Irish Times report is correct. if it's looking like selling out before the licence application, I'd imagine they'll increase the capacity before sending it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Al70

paulie13 wrote: »
    Where did you hear this?

Www.petshopboys.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

AdMMM wrote: »
    I posted last year that there was seemed to be an overflow campsite located just past Janis Joplin and beside the Campervan area. It was almost as big as the Janis Joplin site itself but wasn't used as Janis Joplin didn't quite fill up.

Yeah, there was loads of space in there and queues for the toilets were way smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They definitely need more toilets this year, regardless of whether the capacity is increased or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Rob094 wrote: »
    I'd love to see an act like Frank Turner or Frightened Rabbit (who we're brilliant in the Olympia few months back) announced. Then an Explosions In The Sky or And So I Watch You From Afar type too. A guy can hope!

I think you must be my musical soul mate...we should start a festival together. :D

Feeling a bit meh about the line up, but to be honest it's never the headliners that attract me to a festival - it's always the smaller indie acts. I guess I'll have to wait and see what smaller acts are announced before I can get all excited about this (still buying a ticket anyway).

I lived last years EP out of the Oxjam tent more or less - followed Mick Flannery around like a lost puppy and had my heart broken when Funeral Suits and Overhead, the Albatross clashed...

Am I a music snob? :eek:

Also I'd love if they announced: 'More Toilets' as a main act...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭paulbok

And more cash machines

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭deeks

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Along with Forearm and Hand.

And of course Elbow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Rob094 wrote: »
    I'd love to see an act like Frank Turner or Frightened Rabbit (who we're brilliant in the Olympia few months back) announced. Then an Explosions In The Sky or And So I Watch You From Afar type too. A guy can hope!

Hopefully Frabbit follow the pattern of Foals (and probably some others) by going Longitude > Olympia > EP. Would love to see them again and I've never seen ASIWYFA live so that'd be great, even God is an Astronaut if we're going along those lines.

Got my full discount code there, took two days so for the people waiting I guess just hold out if it's taking a while for them to send it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Mr.S wrote: »
    Walk to the village for that! Much much quicker! Or some of the stalls do cash back.

Maybe we should start an EP survival tips thread... We could start with - "Alternatives to queuing for the portaloos"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Got my full discount code there, took two days so for the people waiting I guess just hold out if it's taking a while for them to send it on.

I'm still working on gathering evidence to send. :o It won't sell out before the deadline will it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Maybe we should start an EP survival tips thread... We could start with - "Alternatives to queuing for the portaloos"
    Simple: Piss on the boundary fences.

Next tip: Don't camp near the boundary fences!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Mince Pie wrote: »
    I'm still working on gathering evidence to send. :o It won't sell out before the deadline will it?

It's extremely unlikely. Probably won't sell out til the middle of the summer unless they pull something massive out of the bag. It might not even sell out at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

It's extremely unlikely. Probably won't sell out til the middle of the summer unless they pull something massive out of the bag. It might not even sell out at all.

<hipster>
    If you ask me it sold out years ago.
    </hipster>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement