Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

symbolic wrote: »
    It's a shame that metal never creeps in either :) (or maybe it has over the years and I've missed it?). Love the way at something like Primavera you get such a mix of genres. I know tastes are subjective, but I always feel Primavera just picks the great acts, regardless of genre. So you can watch Neurosis and then head and catch the Knife. An ATP stage at Electric Picnic would be the job.

Jesus that would be epic. Eagles of death metal would be perfect for the picnic as well.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

You're just gonna have to accept that Oxegen's gone, man.

Basement Jaxx , Foster The People , Janelle Monae and i think Dan Le Sac vs Scroopious pip have played EP before and im guessing Cast Of Cheers have played at some stage.

As said Jimmy Eat World would suit EP more than Oxegen these days .

Dont see the big deal with bands that have played Oxegen cannot play or EP or cannot be classified as EP acts because of that .

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Basement Jaxx , Foster The People , Janelle Monae and i think Dan Le Sac vs Scroopious pip have played EP before and im guessing Cast Of Cheers have played at some stage.

As said Jimmy Eat World would suit EP more than Oxegen these days .

Dont see the big deal with bands that have played Oxegen cannot play or EP or cannot be classified as EP acts because of that .
    I don't have issues with a lot of individual acts there. I'd like to see Vampire Weekend and Basement Jaxx fairly rocked it back in 2009, from what I can vaguely recall.

It's just that as a list that absolutely looks like an Oxegen lienup circa 2006.

Imagine Dragons and Foster the People doe. What the ****, man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Don't understand the hate for Foster the people!? Surely a great EP band.
    As are dan le sac vs scroobius pip.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It is a shame as some have mentioned that we do not get some more rock and metal oriented bands, Pukkelpop 2008 for me was one of the best and most diverse festivals I have been to. You had the likes of Metallica, Within Temptation, Meshuggah, Crystal Castles, M83, Caribou, Sigur Rós, Manic Street Preachers, Flaming Lips, Bob Mould, Robyn, Róisín Murphy, Serj Tankian, Mercury Rev, The National, Dropkick Murphys, Volbeat, Anti Flag and dance stuff like Boys Noize, Hot Chip, Deadmau5 and 2 Many Dj's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Would love band of horses to play, a man can dream...

Xenji wrote: »
    It is a shame as some have mentioned that we do not get some more rock and metal oriented bands, Pukkelpop 2008 for me was one of the best and most diverse festivals I have been to. You had the likes of Metallica, Within Temptation, Meshuggah, Crystal Castles, M83, Caribou, Sigur Rós, Manic Street Preachers, Flaming Lips, Bob Mould, Robyn, Róisín Murphy, Serj Tankian, Mercury Rev, The National, Dropkick Murphys, Volbeat, Anti Flag and dance stuff like Boys Noize, Hot Chip, Deadmau5 and 2 Many Dj's.

I'd probably kick a kitten for that line up.

Lightly mind..and wearing a padded slipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

How many stages are there at ep? Is there a separate one for djs? Just wondering where the likes of Annie Mac will end up playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Foster the People were one of the EP highlights for me in 2011!

D.Q wrote: »
    How many stages are there at ep? Is there a separate one for djs? Just wondering where the likes of Annie Mac will end up playing?

Probably end up playing at rave in the woods I'd guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

GenieOz wrote: »
    Probably end up playing at rave in the woods I'd guess.

I'm guessing she would be in the electric arena tent(?) I think the red bull thing last year got a separate line up arena last year

Rfrip wrote: »
    I'm guessing she would be in the electric arena tent(?) I think the red bull thing last year got a separate line up arena last year

Ahh crap, yeah you're dead right actually!
    That'd be more than likely!

As a seperate thing the wailers by rights should be in trench town though but that will hardly happen :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Duff

Question regarding tent size lads. I usually go to festivals with my mates and we share a massive 10 man tent between the 5 of us. It's prefect with a big porch area so sit and drink etc. However, the g/f has decided she wants to go to EP this year too so I've to buy a tent. Would a 3 man be too small for the two of us? We'd have a rucksack each and the usual drink? Any recommendations on tents? Want to get it bought and out of the way early.

Duff wrote: »
    Question regarding tent size lads. I usually go to festivals with my mates and we share a massive 10 man tent between the 5 of us. It's prefect with a big porch area so sit and drink etc. However, the g/f has decided she wants to go to EP this year too so I've to buy a tent. Would a 3 man be too small for the two of us? We'd have a rucksack each and the usual drink? Any recommendations on tents? Want to get it bought and out of the way early.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=11101&langId=-1&productId=910607&catalogId=15551
    Bought this one for myself and the girlfriend, extra room for clothes and drink, nice porch that you can sit down and relax in and a room just for sleeping. Perfect IMO! And cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Duff

Cheers for the replies, lads! The 4 man ones are cheaper than I imagined they'd be. I'll head into Halfords during the week and check them out.

Thanks again. :)

Duff wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies, lads! The 4 man ones are cheaper than I imagined they'd be. I'll head into Halfords during the week and check them out.

Thanks again. :)

Yeah they're grand, definitely go 4 man though! 60 is a great price

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Rewind83

If you go to Capel Street and check our the tents there for size-and they have a few good deals. I got a 4 man basic all weather tent for 40 last year-was perfect and get a 2 man blow up mattress

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

D.Q wrote: »
    She'll more than likely play the Little Big Tent (the electronic/dj oriented stage).

There are 5 main stages/tents at EP. The Main Stage, Electric Arena, Crawdaddy Stage/Rankin Wood, Cosby Stage, Little Big Tent. Then a whole host of smaller ones in the Body and Soul area, Trenchtown, etc. Here's a timetable from last year with all the stages listed:

http://www.goldenplec.com/festivals/electric-picnic-2/electric-picnic-2013/

Violent Femmes playing London June 18th. Wish it was closer to the picnic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Beth Orton would be someone I would love to see added. She tends to play folk festivals though.

Alt J have no shows planned at all over the summer, so I'm not going to hold out hope for them this year, like I did for so long last year.

I can't wait to see where the lineup goes from here. I have a feeling that those who predicted that the EP friendly lineup has been announced first, with more mainstream acts to follow, are right. It could be a tactical move to shut Reynolds up about the direction the festival is taking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

cee_jay wrote: »
    Foster the People were one of the EP highlights for me in 2011!

One of my stand out EP gigs of 2011, friday night in the tent..the crowd was up for it big time.

This thread is hilarious..

"I'd love if these bands would play..."
    "Go back to oxegen man...you dont belong here :cool:"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

the snobbery is intoxicating

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

miller82 wrote: »
    the snobbery is intoxicating

It's fantastic isn't it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

It's fantastic isn't it??

some gems being posted alright

"They're actually that ****e that they'd contaminate the entire Picnic and drag other overall festival experience down a number of notches "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

a noble sentiment

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bren4q

MattD wrote: »
    ... future islands there's a ton of great 'picnicy' acts with new albums that could stand to be added to that lineup!
    Future Islands...
    yes
    YES
    YES!!

Would love to be able to catch this quirky but engrossing performance at EP.

I would love to see the likes of Sun Kill Moon, Kurt Vile, Speedy Ortiz, Real Estate, Blood Orange, Deerhunter, Dinosaur Jr, Darkside, Boards Of Canada and Deafheaven added.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭roll

I would love to see the likes of Sun Kill Moon, Kurt Vile, Speedy Ortiz, Real Estate, Blood Orange, Deerhunter, Dinosaur Jr, Darkside, Boards Of Canada and Deafheaven added.

that's a list and a half! you forgot the war on drugs tho....

roll wrote: »
    that's a list and a half! you forgot the war on drugs tho....

Their new album Lost In A Dream is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Someone said before that Boards of Canada haven't toured since 2001 so I would be utterly shocked (and delighted) if they were added.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement