Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

BadTurtle wrote: »
    No it isn't. The Prodigy attract that crowd, these others don't. There's a reason the Prodigy caused hysteria in the 90s when these others electronic acts didn't. It's because of how they incite crowds at gigs. You get people taking drugs at most gigs, but the nastier element comes with The Prodigy. Oxegen 2008 was one of the worst electronic gigs I've ever been at, scores of lads kicking the **** out of each other while off their faces. Normal electronic music doesn't have that violent element.

Was at Oxegen on a day trip in 2010 Sunday, caught loads of acts, but much preferred the Prodigy set over Eminem's, Eminem's crowd was absolutely massive, The Prodigy had about a thousand but was the best craic of the whole day along with Fake Blood's set earlier in the evening. That was the first time I seen them. I think they would be perfect for Saturday night, the soundtrack of my youth from MTV's Chill Out Zone and Party Zone and videos such as Smack my Bitch Up, Firestarter, Voodoo People, retro, punky, indie and extremely good electronica.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

No it isn't. The Prodigy attract that crowd, these others don't. There's a reason the Prodigy caused hysteria in the 90s when these others electronic acts didn't. It's because of how they incite crowds at gigs. You get people taking drugs at most gigs, but the nastier element comes with The Prodigy. Oxegen 2008 was one of the worst electronic gigs I've ever been at, scores of lads kicking the **** out of each other while off their faces. Normal electronic music doesn't have that violent element.

I've been to two Prodigy gigs, I seen a few nutcases and knackers and do you know what I did? I stayed away from the scrotes and enjoyed the prodigy with a crowd of sound people all there for the same reason. If you look for trouble anywhere you'll find it.

Another thing, drugs when taken responsibly aren't bad m'kay?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

End of the Road and EP always share a certain amount of acts - no surprise given it's on same weekend - a few names on both bills already like St. Vincent, SM & the jicks.

Fingers, toes and eyes all crossed that tUnEyArDs get added to the Picnic. Would be very happy with Wild Beasts, Yo La Tengo and Gruff Rhys as well.

Die Antwoord is also playing Rock en Seine, would be an interesting EP addition, I don't really rate them as rappers but the stuff they done with Aphex Twin was interesting, he is apparently one of the producers on their new album and he plays on a few tracks too. I'm just wondering if Richard would guesting with Die Antwoord on his tour. Hopefully he starts gigging again.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Looks like Shpongle's touring and doing a few festivals this summer, would be deadly EP material!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

just locked down two family camping tickets for myself and my boyfriend :D first year my daughter will be camping, just for the one night, CANNOT FECKIN WAIT! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rockey4215

Regarding The Prodigy, I've only seen them once that time at Slane, and yes there were a lot of dodgy characters there (that whole day was horrendous). On the other hand, I was worried about the crowd Fatboy Slim would bring in last year (I know he played Marlay Park a few years back and apparently the crowd there was very dodgy). But I didn't notice it being any worse than before. So it's hard to say. A good point was made about there not being any other event that would bring in such a crowd this summer. But they probably won't play at all so this is all very likely redundant. Though Paolo Nutini is playing both. I guess he's more current and popular. I'm just thinking out loud here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Only noticed this now. Again, BS. I was at the Malahide Castle AM gig and it was a total skanger fest. Loads of kids off their faces on pills. Plus there was loads of trouble at the gig.

What a pile of untruth sir!

rockey4215 wrote: »
    Regarding The Prodigy, I've only seen them once that time at Slane, and yes there were a lot of dodgy characters there (that whole day was horrendous). On the other hand, I was worried about the crowd Fatboy Slim would bring in last year (I know he played Marlay Park a few years back and apparently the crowd there was very dodgy). But I didn't notice it being any worse than before. So it's hard to say. A good point was made about there not being any other event that would bring in such a crowd this summer. But they probably won't play at all so this is all very likely redundant. Though Paolo Nutini is playing both. I guess he's more current and popular. I'm just thinking out loud here.

Someone else pointed out that Oasis and Kasabian also played that particular Slane and they are even bigger scanger magnets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Jaysus lads the who brings a bigger scummer element to the fesitval for acts that aren't even announced is getting tiresome.
    Could ye not just grab some handbags and arrange a dawn standoff?

• Advertisement

And you are the authority obviously. If you didn't see it it didn't happen.

Prodigy attract a huge amount of skangers, as does practically any gig at Slane. EP does not, but an act like that definitely would bring them in, there's no festival tailored for skangers this year, they'd flock to EP to see Prodigy.

And if you want to fudge the line between people on pills and pillheads fine, but you're only deluding yourselves. I get that ye really want Prodigy to play, but is there really any need to come up with this kind of nonsense to keep the dream alive? They're not going to play, it would be moronic to let them be booked for EP when they're already playing the marquee. Never would happen.

Paolo Nutini

• Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭endainoz

Only noticed this now. Again, BS. I was at the Malahide Castle AM gig and it was a total skanger fest. Loads of kids off their faces on pills. Plus there was loads of trouble at the gig.

Yeah that gig at Malahide was very rough, two mins into the first song saw a heap of fights breaking out but to be fair, saw nothing at last years picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

Mince Pie wrote: »
    So for those who have been, can you do a pros and cons of the different camp sites?

Hendrix is the maddest, messiest, loudest, and probably the most fun. I stayed in Wilde for the first time last year and that's great as well, just a bit less mental. Those two are right beside everything. The others are a bit more of a trek in. Although I think the other two are closer to the car parks from what I can remember, so that might suit some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

just locked down two family camping tickets for myself and my boyfriend :D first year my daughter will be camping, just for the one night, CANNOT FECKIN WAIT! :D

Hope ye enjoy it! (providing ya have plenty of tea of course) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Paolo Nutini

Difference there being Nutini brings in the moms and kids crowd that would never grace a festival in their lives. His gig is also about 15 quid cheaper. Prodigy are less popular and more expensive, it would badly undercut their gig to be announced for EP before it, and after it, they'd never announce someone that big that late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I was at their set at Oxegen 2008 and didn't see any fights. The main problems I encounted were crushing up near the front and a couple of friends getting spiked. Other than that I thought they attracted a very eclectic crowd, a mixture of ravers, rockers, ordinary Joe Soaps, and unfortunately some scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

What a pile of untruth sir!

Oh really?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

End of the Road and EP always share a certain amount of acts - no surprise given it's on same weekend - a few names on both bills already like St. Vincent, SM & the jicks.

Fingers, toes and eyes all crossed that tUnEyArDs get added to the Picnic. Would be very happy with Wild Beasts, Yo La Tengo and Gruff Rhys as well.
    i'd say Wild Beasts will be announced anyway. playing their own gig here this weekend which still isn't sold out so will prob be announced in the next lot of acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Tuneyards would be great alright.
    Starting listening to St Vincent's new one, its brilliant. Prefer it to Strange Mercy I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Bad example to try prove your point.

This is nearly all banter and just hammered and morbidly obese people putting themselves out there for a bit of homoerotic wrestling, nothing more.

I'm not saying there wasnt trouble, but using the above as an example is a little precious

• Advertisement

Honestly this reads like a 19th century letter!

Oh and I've seen them 4 times. And I lose my mind at their gigs!

One thing I'd would love to see, some chap hop at the picnic :)

miller82 wrote: »

This is nearly all banter and just hammered and morbidly obese people putting themselves out there for a bit of homoerotic wrestling, nothing more.

I'm not saying there wasnt trouble, but using the above as an example is a little precious

Fair enough, but I just searched for "Arctic Monkeys Malahide" on Boards and the thread (linked) came up. Someone else posted that video and I thought it was relevant to the messiness of the day. I wasn't gonna go trawling through YT for other clips. I'm sure they are there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Honestly this reads like a 19th century letter!

Oh and I've seen them 4 times. And I lose my mind at their gigs!

One thing I'd would love to see, some chap hop at the picnic :)

I could see this working at the picnic.

And it would mean there'd be cucumber sandwiches instead of pills and knives....

But on a personal level. Oh dear god, how is this even a thing!

I could see this working at the picnic.

And it would mean there'd be cucumber sandwiches instead of pills and knives....

But on a personal level. Oh dear god, how is this even a thing!

It's great fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Get in! Tickets sorted! Ain't missing it again this year.

BTW, I have a full discount code, I only bought one ticket on it so should be able to use it for one more.
    Can pass it on if anyone wants to give it a whirl! PM me.

Code gone.

Wow, that video is quite literally bursting with trouble! You'd never see pushing at a Prodigy gig! Only ladies and gentlemen in evening gowns sipping tea!!

I suppose "trouble" is a vague term. Trouble, to me, means Swedish House Mafia at Phoenix Park. Trouble to you means a bunch of teenagers jumping around enjoying a gig.

I was at that gig in Malahide, and I'm dangerously stable, educated, and middle-class. I wouldn't have considered it a "troublesome" gig. I didn't even have to have my parents pick me up afterwards.

We can agree to disagree.

Wow, that video is quite literally bursting with trouble!
    Well I did clarify why I posted the video. :)
    You'd never see pushing at a Prodigy gig! Only ladies and gentlemen in evening gowns sipping tea!!
    I was only responding to the claim that there was no trouble at AM gigs compared to Prodigy gigs.
    We can agree to disagree.
    I think that's probably for the best. ;)

Given your username I'd assume that you were at Slane when Oasis played? Verdict? Much trouble?

Well I did clarify why I posted the video. :)

I was only responding to the claim that there was no trouble at AM gigs compared to Prodigy gigs.

I think that's probably for the best. ;)

Given your username I'd assume that you were at Slane when Oasis played? Verdict? Much trouble?

That's fair enough.

I would say not really, when you consider there was (officially) 80,000 people at the gig, and it took some people (me) five hours to get a pre-paid Dublin Bus back to the city centre.

Having said that, there was murder during the prodigy support slot. Bottles of beer, punches, and vats of heroin being thrown everywhere!! It was nearly as bad as Arctic Monkeys at Malahide Castle for a while ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

miller82 wrote: »

That's the kind of stuff that wrecks my head at concerts. Why can't morons like that just meet in a park when there isn't a gig on instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Effects wrote: »
    That's the kind of stuff that wrecks my head at concerts. Why can't morons like that just meet in a park when there isn't a gig on instead?

totally agree, but just pointing out its not an example of violence really.
    Its an example of gobshiites !!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement