Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

Some of the Jabberwocky acts would be great additions, although with two weeks between the two festivals it maybe a big ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Amid all the speculation of big names, has it ever happened that a headliner has been confirmed for Electric Picnic after the initial announcement? Just don't see any bands of the stature of Prodigy, Coldplay, Basement Jaxx not being announced at the very start.

I don't recall a headliner being announced later, acts a little lower down like Robert Plant last year have been.

But then usually there isn't this ****e between POD and Festival Republic going on. There seems to be a space for pretty high end Sunday night slot that will draw in the Day Trippers that hasn't been filled yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I think it would make good business sense to announce a fairly big act after loyalty tickets are gone. Whether they'll do it or not is another matter

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gerdev

GenieOz wrote: »
    As obvious as the post you quoted being sarcasm I think you'll find EP fans come in all shapes and sizes and are quite different from each other.

Absolutely, but from reading over this thread I think you'll find that a majority of the discussion is based around people fretting over what sort of crowd it will attract. People complaining that AM attracted the dreaded "Oxegen Crowd" last year and that bands like The Prodigy will do the same. You get dickheads at every festival, it doesn't matter who is playing. All the moaning over the crowd just gets tiring after a while.

It reminds me of that South Park episode where everyones freaking out because all of the guidos from Jersey start coming to Colorado haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Amid all the speculation of big names, has it ever happened that a headliner has been confirmed for Electric Picnic after the initial announcement? Just don't see any bands of the stature of Prodigy, Coldplay, Basement Jaxx not being announced at the very start.

It's highly unlikely. Think people that weren't happy with the three main headliners are getting carried away. The biggest size act I'd expect for the remainder of the announcements is someone around the size of Foals or Chic. Definitely no Prodigy or Coldplay or, unfortunately, QOTSA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Gerdev wrote: »
    Absolutely, but from reading over this thread I think you'll find that a majority of the discussion is based around people fretting over what sort of crowd it will attract. People complaining that AM attracted the dreaded "Oxegen Crowd" last year and that bands like The Prodigy will do the same. You get dickheads at every festival, it doesn't matter who is playing. All the moaning over the crowd just gets tiring after a while.

It reminds me of that South Park episode where everyones freaking out because all of the guidos from Jersey start coming to Colorado haha.

Aside from the nonsense in the last few pages of the thread about Prodigy and Am etc, there has been a noticeable difference in the crowd in the last few years of the festival.

And not in terms of age, it's always been 18-whatever agewise.

Panda Bear seems to be on the move. Would like to see him added.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Did Brian Wilson not get added quite late in 2008, he's a bit of a legend, in other years I've seen some quite significant acts added later on in the bill.

Yeah and he was absolutely brilliant, one of the highlights of the weekend for me but he was the third from the headliner on the main stage. It's that kind of announcement I'd expect to be honest, third, fourth down the list on the main stage and second, third elsewhere.

Yeah and he was absolutely brilliant, one of the highlights of the weekend for me but he was the third from the headliner on the main stage. It's that kind of announcement I'd expect to be honest, third, fourth down the list on the main stage and second, third elsewhere.

Spot on.
    Let's not get greedy. Listen to everyone on the lineup before you make your minds up how good it is. To be honest the only people I don't want to see that I've listened to are Paolo Nutini and Lily Allen. Slowdive, John Wizards, Temples, Kaytranada, The Blades, SOHN, White Denim, FKA Twigs are all definitely worth checking out if you haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Ernest Oreo

Still no word on Coldplay?
    I'm beginning to fear it wont happen..

• Advertisement

Top tip to avoid undesirables, position yourself on the left hand side of the site, avoiding the Main Stage and the Bacardi bar. Has worked a treat in previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Fingers crossed here! That its not happening. No way are Coldplay gonna be there.

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Spot on.
    Let's not get greedy. Listen to everyone on the lineup before you make your minds up how good it is. To be honest the only people I don't want to see that I've listened to are Paolo Nutini and Lily Allen. Slowdive, John Wizards, Temples, Kaytranada, The Blades, SOHN, White Denim, FKA Twigs are all definitely worth checking out if you haven't.
    Only got round to listening to that John Wizards album yesterday, an awful lot going on, but going on brilliantly. A world music flavour to this year's Picnic with Omar Souleyman on the lineup too. I like.

I'll definitely have to look in on Omar Souleyman, what I've heard of his album is crazy. Reminds me of Panjabi MC.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think you and your brain are going to have to consciously uncouple yourself from that idea. Sorry.

I think you and your brain are going to have to consciously uncouple yourself from that idea. Sorry.

LMFAO!!! :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

When you do the instalment plan do TM take a service charge all 3 times u pay? Or is it only the 1st one?

When you do the instalment plan do TM take a service charge all 3 times u pay? Or is it only the 1st one?

Said on the website service on the first one only.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Only on the first one.

Previous years they took the service charge with the last instalment, this year it seems to be on the first.

Bought my tix this morning. €60.60 first payment, €50 01/05 and €50 01/06 according to the T&Cs. Happy with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Two Door Cinema Club were announced in the 2nd announcement last year, and while not being a "headliner" on the poster/PR, they played after Bjork on the Main Stage in what would basically be the EP headliner's slot....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The dude going on about coldplay is just trying to troll. Probably best ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I laugh everytime!

So, can anyone let me know what the Oscar Wilde campsite is like? Myself and me mates are late (young) thirties and don't want to be in a mental site.
    Need some comforts.

Two Door Cinema Club were announced in the 2nd announcement last year, and while not being a "headliner" on the poster/PR, they played after Bjork on the Main Stage in what would basically be the EP headliner's slot....

And they'd be much much much cheaper to book than any of the names being brought up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

No dates for 2014, confirmed on their website.
    http://www.coldplay.com/tour.php

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Said on the website service on the first one only.
    maximoose wrote: »
    Only on the first one.

Previous years they took the service charge with the last instalment, this year it seems to be on the first.

Bought my tix this morning. €60.60 first payment, €50 01/05 and €50 01/06 according to the T&Cs. Happy with that :)

Cheers was thinking if they charge €6 each time ill just wait to buy the ticket in full then. Thank god thats not the case ill start the plan now

BadTurtle wrote: »
    And they'd be much much much cheaper to book than any of the names being brought up here.
    i'd say they're on-par cost-wise with The Prodigy.

obviously much cheaper than Coldplay, but they won't be playing. probably not far off QOTSA but they would probably have been announced in the first announcement if they were playing.

Mince Pie wrote: »
    So, can anyone let me know what the Oscar Wilde campsite is like? Myself and me mates are late (young) thirties and don't want to be in a mental site.
    Need some comforts.
    grand, we usually camp there. a bit cramped last year with the sell-out.
    i like that it's relatively contained and easy to know where you're camped.
    the other campsites just seem like sprawling messes.

grand, we usually camp there. a bit cramped last year with the sell-out.
    i like that it's relatively contained and easy to know where you're camped.
    the other campsites just seem like sprawling messes.

Ah thanks for the heads up, think thats where we'll aim to head then. Whats the best time to get there on a Friday to get a fairly decent pitch? Oh and is there any point in bringing a cheapy gazebo to sit out in case of rain?
    Oh and is it a bit quieter than the others? Which site do you have to go through to get to the rave in the woods?
    3 of sharing the same tent.

• Advertisement

i'd say they're on-par cost-wise with The Prodigy.

obviously much cheaper than Coldplay, but they won't be playing. probably not far off QOTSA but they would probably have been announced in the first announcement if they were playing.

Nah, you're talking about an Irish band with a strong following but still very much in their early days. The Prodigy and QOTSA can command higher prices because they both have at the very least sub-headliner status and have done for at least a decade.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement