Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just listening to a bit of Flume, kinda reminds me at times of Modeselektor's Berlin with Miss Platinum, interesting enough. I'm liking Space Cadet.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Mince Pie wrote: »
    So, can anyone let me know what the Oscar Wilde campsite is like? Myself and me mates are late (young) thirties and don't want to be in a mental site.
    Need some comforts.

Go there every year I've been - would be of similar age - just find a good spot on the hill and you'll have a great time. Close to the Rave in the Woods and Trenchtown too.

Andy Warhol is a good one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Nah, you're talking about an Irish band with a strong following but still very much in their early days. The Prodigy and QOTSA can command higher prices because they both have at the very least sub-headliner status and have done for at least a decade.
    it doesn't matter if they're in their "early days", they're a pretty big band.
    headlining Latitude in the UK this year. no.2 album in the UK charts.
    they essentially headlined EP last year. and at the very least were "sub-headliner status" that The Prodigy would have.

they would definitely command around the same fee as The Prodigy these days.

as I said, they wouldn't be as big as QOTSA, but in the UK/Ireland, they're not far off. they'd play the same size venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

it doesn't matter if they're in their "early days", they're a pretty big band.
    headlining Latitude in the UK this year. no.2 album in the UK charts.
    they essentially headlined EP last year. and at the very least were "sub-headliner status" that The Prodigy would have.

they would definitely command around the same fee as The Prodigy these days.

as I said, they wouldn't be as big as QOTSA, but in the UK/Ireland, they're not far off. they'd play the same size venues.

The Prodigy command about £150K for private appearance gigs, can't imagine 2DCC are at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gerdev

Aside from the nonsense in the last few pages of the thread about Prodigy and Am etc, there has been a noticeable difference in the crowd in the last few years of the festival.

And not in terms of age, it's always been 18-whatever agewise.

Well I'm afraid thats what you get when a festival receives more mainstream exposure. As I said in an earlier post, Electric Picnic is now Irelands flag ship music festival. This wasn't the case a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Last year I thought they said they weren't going to allow gazebos but I seen plenty with them..wonder what the story will be this year, they're a great addition to have if you've a decent sized group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Gerdev wrote: »
    Well I'm afraid thats what you get when a festival receives more mainstream exposure. As I said in an earlier post, Electric Picnic is now Irelands flag ship music festival. This wasn't the case a few years ago.

It is, and more's the shame. What made EP special was the people who attended it, even people who went last year for the first time have been saying in this thread how chilled/relaxed and friendly the people were.

It's being seen as a "flagship festival" by some because of the failure of other festivals, but there's plenty of room in Ireland for a Reading/Leeds type festival, it doesn't have to be EP.

Which is why your "pretentious hipsters" were delighted with the initial announcement, because it was heavily weighted with quality over hype. Hopefully more of the same to follow with the coming announcements!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Paid my first installment for my ticket :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Paid my first installment for my ticket :)

Did mine yesterday! Delighted so I am! Just need to sort out the camping now. We were nearly going do boutique it but think I'd rather spend me money on Gin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Did mine yesterday! Delighted so I am! Just need to sort out the camping now. We were nearly going do boutique it but think I'd rather spend me money on Gin.

If you spend the difference between boutique camping and normal camping on gin then I fear you may not survive the weekend :P

• Advertisement

GenieOz wrote: »
    If you spend the difference between boutique camping and normal camping on gin then I fear you may not survive the weekend :P

I demand the finest quality dahling! :cool:

So whats the craic, should we have a boardsie drink on the Friday night? In case any of us get lost etc?
    I'll bring some handbags for any scraps.

It's being seen as a "flagship festival" by some because of the failure of other festivals, but there's plenty of room in Ireland for a Reading/Leeds type festival, it doesn't have to be EP.

Which is why your "pretentious hipsters" were delighted with the initial announcement, because it was heavily weighted with quality over hype. Hopefully more of the same to follow with the coming announcements!

I have been going to EP for the last 7 years now and would consider myself to be a seasoned EP'er. But that dosent give me the right pick and choose who attends. Its the same thing every single year with people saying "oh no these knackers coming to see FatBoy Slim and AM are going to ruin OUR festival". Please.

In my opinion, I believe that there is an air of snobbery amongst certain EP fans and its just funny how you think this lineup is a victory of sorts for "real" Electric Picnic fans. Just dont see the reasoning behind it. But hey, maybe i'm missing the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

BadTurtle wrote: »
    The Prodigy command about £150K for private appearance gigs, can't imagine 2DCC are at that level.
    that's about what EP headliners get, so seeing as they essentially headlined EP last year, and are headlining Latitude this year with the same capacity as EP, then yeah, they're on the same level.

what's the source on The Prodigy getting that much anyway? i'd be amazed if they can get it these days for a festival appearance.

So whats the craic, should we have a boardsie drink on the Friday night? In case any of us get lost etc?
    Yay! can I bring my Magic Box Vaporiser. :D

I have been going to EP for the last 7 years now and would consider myself to be a seasoned EP'er. But that dosent give me the right pick and choose who attends. Its the same thing every single year with people saying "oh no these knackers coming to see FatBoy Slim and AM are going to ruin OUR festival". Please.

In my opinion, I believe that there is an air of snobbery amongst certain EP fans and its just funny how you think this lineup is a victory of sorts for "real" Electric Picnic fans. Just dont see the reasoning behind it. But hey, maybe i'm missing the point.

Who's picking and choosing who attends? Who, at any point, claimed to be 'real Electric Picnic' fans? I think you are missing the point.

The line up wasn't a victory for anybody, but for some it was a pointer that the festival as they know it won't disappear completely

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Why don't we go one step further and arrange 'Camp Boards.ie' - you know, for those of us madzers who go to festivals by themselves. ... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

EP 3+ Ticket in the bag!! BOOM!!! :):):):)

Was thinking if Moderat got added maybe we would get a set from Apparat too.

Hopefully, i wouldn't rule it out.

• Advertisement

Who's picking and choosing who attends? Who, at any point, claimed to be 'real Electric Picnic' fans? I think you are missing the point.

The line up wasn't a victory for anybody, but for some it was a pointer that the festival as they know it won't disappear completely

I'm not saying people are picking and choosing. But if some people had it their way, the whole demographic of EP attendees would be of a certain type. Just like if I had it my way the lineup would be different.
    But sure we shall agree to disagree, we are both going to have a good time nonetheless.

GenieOz wrote: »
    Last year I thought they said they weren't going to allow gazebos but I seen plenty with them..wonder what the story will be this year, they're a great addition to have if you've a decent sized group.

Yeah I was very surprised to see them last year. Usually they are not allowed at most festival campsites I've been to. I'm definitely bringing one this year!

I mentioned them earlier but Die Antwoord are releasing a record with Aphex Twin guesting, could be an interesting addition seeing that they are touring Europe around the end of August.
    http://stoneyroads.com/die-antwoord-album-imminent-aphex-twin-collaboration/

I'm not saying people are picking and choosing. But if some people had it their way, the whole demographic of EP attendees would be of a certain type.

Nothing you can do about that, you'll get people doing that no matter whether they're talking about EP or the Luas Green Line.

Other people are worried that the festival will change from what makes it great to your bog standard festival, i think that's valid.
    we are both going to have a good time nonetheless

That we can agree on. Only 154 days to go...and i can't ****ing wait!

Why don't we go one step further and arrange 'Camp Boards.ie' - you know, for those of us madzers who go to festivals by themselves. ... :cool:

Don't know about that, I'm worried about the quality of your coffee! But Madzers are welcome to come and camp with us I usually go walkabout by myself anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

You epitomise everything thats wrong with Electric Picnic fans

Bhaha!! I truly lol'd!! Ur a funny guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Have a spare discount code for €174.50 tickets if anyone wants it. 1st PM gets it.

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Bhaha!! I truly lol'd!! Ur a funny guy!

muchas gracias my liege. I try my best xox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

Tickets procured.:D

I think I'm looking forward to this picnic more than any before it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

Don't toy with me.

Imagine moderat in the little big tent...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement