Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Actually you would be thanking me for having some musical sense if you were camped where I was last year, right next to the ruddy carnival in the Hendrix site and that blasted music muallicating James Brown and Faithless in an endless loop interspersed with YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    Actually, I meant to say earlier. Why did you camp there?

I walked through the Hendrix campsite last year with the OH as she was heading over to get her hair done and I was amazed at the amount of tents pitched around the carnival. I remember thinking at the time, "who in their right mind would camp there?!?!" :confused::)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Wild Beasts tweeted after their Olympia gig that they'll be back very soon and to keep our eyes peeled (Or something to that effect).

Would imagine it's EP.
    Forbidden Fruit tweeted that they hoped they'd come back soon. I'd imagine that was some kind of hint.

EP would tie in with their appearance at EOTR though, so you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

People who came late and couldn't get space anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

Wild Beasts tweeted after their Olympia gig that they'll be back very soon and to keep our eyes peeled (Or something to that effect).

Would imagine it's EP.

where is this tweet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

BaZmO* wrote: »

I walked through the Hendrix campsite last year with the OH as she was heading over to get her hair done and I was amazed at the amount of tents pitched around the carnival. I remember thinking at the time, "who in their right mind would camp there?!?!" :confused::)

I was pitched right beside it myself actually, Didn't really bother me too much!
    apart from when I couldn't sleep and Rihanna was being played on repeat from the waltzers...ARGH.
    Other than that I liked the noise and extra business of it!

Picked that area when we got there..hmm, mostly cos it was the biggest open spot that was easy to recognise, as it was next to the Jimi Hendrix sign itself!

• Advertisement

GenieOz wrote: »
    I was pitched right beside it myself actually, Didn't really bother me too much!
    apart from when I couldn't sleep and Rihanna was being played on repeat from the waltzers...ARGH.
    Other than that I liked the noise and extra business of it!

Picked that area when we got there..hmm, mostly cos it was the biggest open spot that was easy to recognise, as it was next to the Jimi Hendrix sign itself!
    It must be my age, but it looked like hell! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

It must be my age, but it looked like hell! :D

It wasn't the worst..then again I don't think we'll be camping near it again :p
    I doubt they'll have it back the way they did again anyway, there was a lot of backlash over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Camped there myself as well, was grand I thought! The music went off eventually as far as I can remember in the early hours of the morning so got a bit of sleep and then it was very close to the arena/toilets and easy to find if you ever got lost or were telling people where you were!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

A force of habit really, I camped at that part of the Hendrix camp site for the last three or four years, it is one of the safest parts of the camp site, quite near security and out in the open enough to deter tent thiefs, plus everyone camped round me was working at the festival like myself, wristbanders and volunteers.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

A force of habit really, I camped at that part of the Hendrix camp site for the last three or four years, it is one of the safest parts of the camp site, quite near security and out in the open enough to deter tent thiefs, plus everyone camped round me was working at the festival like myself, wristbanders and volunteers.

Yeah I suppose oddly enough it would work out being more secure being out in the open rather than being hid right at the back. I just couldn't deal with the noise and the hoards of people constantly traipsing by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

I remember arriving with the majority of my friends on Friday afternoon to find the couple of lads who had come early and saved our spots next to the carnival with big grins on their faces!

'Look at all the space we have?!'

'It'll be the best craic!'

'The music will get turned off eventually'

Suffice to say I was not best pleased, but it wasn't that bad...!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Wild Beasts tweeted after their Olympia gig that they'll be back very soon and to keep our Eyes Peeled (Or something to that effect).

Would imagine it's EP.
    I should have been a detective! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

AdMMM wrote: »
    I should have been a detective! :D

Trying pick out forbidden fruit and you have a talent!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

Trying pick out forbidden fruit and you have a talent!
    Do I have a talent? My teachers were all wrong then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I was camped in Hendrix, but a good bit from the carnival mind you! You'd be surprised how quickly the sound dies off! I couldn't hear it at all, more the main stage and trench town!
    You'd have to be hardcore or completely out of it to camp right behind it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Christ I hated that carnival

I hate getting older

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Ooh new Mac Demarco album out. Would be great to see him at EP !

Would love if Elizabeth Fraser (Cocteau Twins, Massive Attack) started touring again, the last time she toured was a few gigs in London in 2012 and that was the first she played since guesting with Massive Attack back god knows when. I can only dream that her and Robin Guthrie would get back together to try a Cocteau Twins tour, would look amazing on an EP bill. I think I mentioned this over the last two years on the EP thread, I'm like a scratched record sometimes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Just wish EP would book Pearl jam someday. Sadly they could never afford em. But it's the perfect headline act for them and the perfect festival for that band.

When I win the euro millions ill make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Dunno, pearl jam are waaaaay off their peak popularity and could be classed as a legacy act at this point, EP could probably get them for a decent price.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Hardly. Pearl jam headline festivals all over Europe (isle of wight reading as well as big ones in portugal spain and poland) still not to mention headlining big day out in oz last month and lollapalooza in South America. And they're still a huge entity in the US.
    They were to headline poxegen a few years ago but that promoter wouldn't pony up the fee.

I've been to 7 or 8 picnics and seen Pj 35 times. They'd be an ideal match. Real shame EP could never afford them.
    Also, they're as popular in Ireland as ever without having to bombard with ads and promo via the usual channels.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Dunno, pearl jam are waaaaay off their peak popularity and could be classed as a legacy act at this point, EP could probably get them for a decent price.

As said PJ can and have headlined nearly every major festival at this stage and are still as popular . They have not played a show in Ireland since 2010???? . As much as i would love to see them at EP it would never happen and we can put them in the Coldplay chances of headlining

Also what are the chances of Bearyman being announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

Wild Beasts are playing End of the Road festival on the 31st of August. Here's hoping they head to Stradbally for the Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

Richard Thompson for the new 'Robert plant" slot. Would be great.

Also DJ slots for Soul II Soul or Norman Jay and Craig Charles Northern Soul.

Wild Beasts, MMoths, Crystal Castles as well please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Peterd66 wrote: »

Saw Crystal Castles the year before last and thought they were woeful. Set only lasted about 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Crystal Castles are one of the most temperamental live acts in the world, I've seen them 4 times and twice they were terrible, twice they were great. Always found they've been better in a dark enclosd environment, sticking them on a main stage at 6 in the day is just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I may have missed this but why do people think Mika is performing? Was it an April Fools thing that was going around?
    I've just heard people saying he has been added but nothing else.

Mince Pie wrote: »
    I may have missed this but why do people think Mika is performing? Was it an April Fools thing that was going around?
    I've just heard people saying he has been added but nothing else.
    Yeh I just put that there for the craic, about Crystal Castles they have played EP 3 times now and Forbidden Fruit last year, I think we've seen them enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Yeh I just put that there for the craic, about Crystal Castles they have played EP 3 times now and Forbidden Fruit last year, I think we've seen them enough.

Well you got 'em good, people commenting on the FB page about it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Peterd66 wrote: »

I'd take that, i'd put him in a tent thou. Might as well bring John Cooper Clarke over with him for the laugh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement