Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

ha ha I call that a job well done Fatfrog

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Eod100 wrote: »
    Saw Crystal Castles the year before last and thought they were woeful. Set only lasted about 20 mins.

Yea seen them at FF last year and could not wait for them to end

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think people are underestimating EP's budget. They got Disclosure and Arctic Monkeys last year. Two of the biggest acts of 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Mr.S wrote: »
    But not the most expensive!

Disclosure wouldnt have gotten much , they were just breaking through at the time and only had an album worth of material, that doesnt demand high fees.

Still dont think they should have been given the late saturday slot

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I was off my trolley on the saturday but I thought they were great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

lbj666 wrote: »
    Disclosure wouldnt have gotten much , they were just breaking through at the time and only had an album worth of material, that doesnt demand high fees.

Still dont think they should have been given the late saturday slot

They had a lot more than an album's worth of material tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Disclosure broke through last year, definitely wouldn't have been charging big money to be playing festivals.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Jack White playing Poland in July , Would love to see him at EP

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭exilec

Would love that , amazing live ...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

He would be a massive name to add or Damon Albarn.
    I have to wonder are future additions now just going to be smaller names though. The nature of festivals is everyone starts naming every act touring and hopes they get added to the lineup and usually they don't. Who were the big names added to EP last year after the initial announcement?(give me some hope)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

comet wrote: »
    He would be a massive name to add or Damon Albarn.
    I have to wonder are future additions now just going to be smaller names though. The nature of festivals is everyone starts naming every act touring and hopes they get added to the lineup and usually they don't. Who were the big names added to EP last year after the initial announcement?(give me some hope)

Last year Robert Plant, John Grant & Little Green Cars were added in May (among others)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

as were Two Door Cinema Club, who basically had the Saturday night headline slot on the main stage, after Bjork who was officially the headliner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

after Bjork who was officially the headliner.

Still gobsmacked at how good she was.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

And wasnt Brian Wilson added WELL after the initial announcement last time he played EP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Damon Albarn has been rumoured for this year by ITKs. Would make some sense now seeing as Longitude don't seem likely to get him. Might hold off to give Latitude the benefit of a UK exclusive first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Damon Albarn has been rumoured for this year by ITKs. Would make some sense now seeing as Longitude don't seem likely to get him. Might hold off to give Latitude the benefit of a UK exclusive first though.

Please god not Longitude. I love Albarn but I don't think I'd brave that plebfest even for him. Or Massive Attack.

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Please god not Longitude. I love Albarn but I don't think I'd brave that plebfest even for him. Or Massive Attack.

Went last year on the Sunday and had a brilliant day, didn't see any trouble or too many scummers around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Saruwatari wrote: »

What's wrong with longitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

How long since Arcadia discontinued to be at the Picnic, the Afterburner would be nice to have back again, I wouldn't mind even if it was in place of the carnival at the Hendrix campsite. Did Arcadia quit in 2012 or 13.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

That will tell you how long it's been for me. I went to every Electric Picnic from 2006 - 10 and I have no recollection of something called Arcadia. Having said that, I was pretty high too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

That will tell you how long it's been for me. I went to every Electric Picnic from 2006 - 10 and I have no recollection of something called Arcadia. Having said that, I was pretty high too.

Pretty sure you'd have noticed the huge fire-breathing machine, but then again..

I think around 2008/09 they had a big Arcadia thingy going on in the mouth of the North Gate going into the Body & Soul area that involved heaps of fire jugglers, mad dancey soundtracks kinda (if that jogs any memories) like Lucent Dossier at Body & Soul festival last year. Then at other years they had the Afterburner yoke that would shoot out flames at the top and had a DJ inside of it, normally situated between the Electric Arena and Little Big Tent area.

Edit: They could have had Arcadia on the Friday night last year, it would have made up for the lack of gigs in the marquees anyway, was still good enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭hugeglobe

What do yous think about this years initial lineup in comparison to previous ones? Will EP be as successful as it was last year or could we see a decline in numbers this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dixiechick88

Im presuming the rave in the woods is going ahead this year again? :cool::cool:

Without doubt, i'd say :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

It's a proper stage with sponsors now etc. it's actually on the map boo!
    Previous years it was a bit of a myth/legend wasn't advertised you just had to now where to go! A real illegal buzz about it :) like the old UK warehouse raves. Countless hours spent by many roaming forests searching for it stopping every second person "do you know where the rave in the woods is?"

In fact I reckon it's the most overheard topic of conversation during the day at an EP weekend lying dying in ur tent the next day, you hear x2 random chicks talking "Omg did you go to the rave in the woods last night"

Fatfrog wrote: »
    It's a proper stage with sponsors now etc. it's actually on the map boo!
    Previous years it was a bit of a myth/legend wasn't advertised you just had to now where to go! A real illegal buzz about it :) like the old UK warehouse raves. Countless hours spent by many roaming forests searching for it stopping every second person "do you know where the rave in the woods is?"

In fact I reckon it's the most overheard topic of conversation during the day at an EP weekend lying dying in ur tent the next day, you hear x2 random chicks talking "Omg did you go to the rave in the woods last night"

Without doubt the most heard phrase at any EP i've been to :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I've been at the rave in the woods a few times and I still have no idea where it is

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

It's kind of not been as good the past few years? It managed to be a lot less busy in times past and that made it special. The latest one was too packed to be any craic at all I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement