Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Mr.S wrote: »
    They have loads of them at EP! Always young people too.

I did general stewarding once and it was the worst weekend of my life, brrrr

After Oxegen, EP is the hardest to get staff, given its a UK company and not many know where to go to volunteer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I wake up every day wishing, hoping and praying that EP will have updated their facebook with a release date for tickets.
    I even had a dream about it the other night, well, it was more of a nightmare as the thing sold out in seconds and I didn't get a ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

SV wrote: »
    I wake up every day wishing, hoping and praying that EP will have updated their facebook with a release date for tickets.
    I even had a dream about it the other night, well, it was more of a nightmare as the thing sold out in seconds and I didn't get a ticket!

Wait a second, you mean you haven't got your tickets for this year?! :P

Eod100 wrote: »
    Wait a second, you mean you haven't got your tickets for this year?! :P

My heart...seriously don't do that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Personally couldn't give a sh1t if it goes ahead or not this year (which is sad because I used to love it) line-up and vibe has been slowly getting worse by the year for me. There's no love when picking the Artists, instead we get the safe option with a couple of crappy headline bands that will make sure the festival sells out. Boutique and eclectic my ass!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

nocoverart wrote: »
    Personally couldn't give a sh1t if it goes ahead or not this year (which is sad because I used to love it) line-up and vibe has been slowly getting worse by the year for me. There's no love when picking the Artists, instead we get the safe option with a couple of crappy headline bands that will make sure the festival sells out. Boutique and eclectic my ass!

go you

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

nocoverart wrote: »

Across Europe its been pretty poor line up wise last 3 years IMO. EP has improved IMO from say 3 years ago, but I agree its far from its former glory. At least its improving

Across Europe its been pretty poor line up wise last 3 years IMO. EP has improved IMO from say 3 years ago, but I agree its far from its former glory. At least its improving

When it ended a few months ago you were saying it was one of the worst :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

The line-up in 2012 was perfect. No denying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Out of interest, in 2013 who would you have wanted to headline?

I thought it was pretty decent, Bjork was amazing and AM seemed to go down very well, wasn't my thing so only caught a bit in between The Knife.

Fact is the festival sold out last year, must have been doing something right!

Its not the festival it was in the early days, its now striving to be a major festival.

My only complaint from last year was the bloody carnival, it probably makes them a killing to let the carnies use the grounds, but **** me it was annoying and tacky.

yeah, selling €150 tickets!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

yeah, selling €150 tickets!

True but at least it sold out and will actually help the brand name of Electric Picnic when people hear Sold Out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Quietyou

True but at least it sold out and will actually help the brand name of Electric Picnic when people hear Sold Out

Don't think it's that simple... I've been to the picnic 2009, 2011 and 2013 and while I still had a great time at 13, the atmosphere just isn't the same. EP was always a festival for the older crowd which is why I enjoyed it more in 11 and 09.

Even though people were complaining about the scum element in 13, I actually found the "ew moi gawd" element way more irritating. :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Quietyou wrote: »
    Don't think it's that simple... I've been to the picnic 2009, 2011 and 2013 and while I still had a great time at 13, the atmosphere just isn't the same. EP was always a festival for the older crowd which is why I enjoyed it more in 11 and 09.

Strange one here given that there's 4 years of your own age in the difference between '09 and '13. You obviously had no issue, and in fact really enjoyed, going when you were (AGE-4), yet now that you are (AGE) the people enjoying themselves at (AGE-4) actually seem to hamper your own enjoyment of it.

:confused:
    Even though people were complaining about the scum element in 13, I actually found the "ew moi gawd" element way more irritating. :rolleyes::D

Again, strange enough thing to admit to, more a (negative) reflection on you than anything.

LUPE wrote: »
    Strange one here given that there's 4 years of your own age in the difference between '09 and '13. You obviously had no issue, and in fact really enjoyed, going when you were (AGE-4), yet now that you are (AGE) the people enjoying themselves at (AGE-4) actually seem to hamper your own enjoyment of it.

:confused:

Again, strange enough thing to admit to, more a (negative) reflection on you than anything.

wha?

wha?

Basically s/he's saying that you're giving out that the crowd that are your age when you enjoyed it are now ruining your experience as you're older.

SV wrote: »
    Basically s/he's saying that you're giving out that the crowd that are your age when you enjoyed it are now ruining your experience as you're older.

Well no, I was 25 when I started going. The crowd was usually 25 - 45 or thereabouts.

How the poster came to that conclusion without knowing my age really reflects negatively on them...

Out of interest, in 2013 who would you have wanted to headline?

I thought it was pretty decent, Bjork was amazing and AM seemed to go down very well, wasn't my thing so only caught a bit in between The Knife.

Fact is the festival sold out last year, must have been doing something right!

Its not the festival it was in the early days, its now striving to be a major festival.

My only complaint from last year was the bloody carnival, it probably makes them a killing to let the carnies use the grounds, but **** me it was annoying and tacky.

Bjork was bloody immense, as was disclosure. Very worthy headliners. Wouldn't mind Aphex twin or Japanese Popstars this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Bjork was bloody immense, as was disclosure. Very worthy headliners. Wouldn't mind Aphex twin or Japanese Popstars this year.

I didn't think much of disclosure at all, felt I could have just played the cd back at the campsite and twud have been all the one.
    I was also very cranky and tired at that time after going mental on the fri night

Every fcking year and I never learn :)

Rfrip wrote: »
    I didn't think much of disclosure at all, felt I could have just played the cd back at the campsite and twud have been all the one.
    I was also very cranky and tired at that time after going mental on the fri night

Every fcking year and I never learn :)

Plenty of "assistance" available for that.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

QuietYou if you fancy, join my facebook group to bring Aphex Twin to the Picnic and if you know anyone else interested send them along. https://www.facebook.com/groups/306301782765054/

I've had this group going for the last few years Aphex is one of the only artists never to have graced a stage at the Picnic, I remember 2ManyDJS headlining at EP 2009 where they paid tribute to the Windowlicker single, Chris Cunningham played that year too, Squarepusher played for the first time in 2012 and Autechre in 2006, Flying Lotus 2011. But annoyingly Richard D James has been inactive since his Australian tour in 2012, apart from a one off at the Babrican in London in August that year where he played mainly beatless music with a swinging piano. Would love to see him at EP.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Le_Dooner

Seeing a lot of rumours on Twitter about Arctic Monkeys, The Strypes and Hurts(Haven't heard of them!) being announced for the Sunday 31st. A site named BandsInTown gave out the details. Anyone know if this is a trustworthy source and/or true? Be a bit strange for AM to headline two years running, was hoping for QOTSA this year, but than again wouldn't mind seeing them live.

Le_Dooner wrote: »
    Seeing a lot of rumours on Twitter about Arctic Monkeys, The Strypes and Hurts(Haven't heard of them!) being announced for the Sunday 21st. A site named BandsInTown gave out the details. Anyone know if this is a trustworthy source and/or true? Be a bit strange for AM to headline two years running, was hoping for QOTSA this year, but than again wouldn't mind seeing them live.

Thats a mistake since all played last year

That's what I was thinking, they'd have hardly released the line up when they haven't even the tickets date confirmed yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

If they managed to book Outkast, it would be massive and I would do unspeakable things for a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 SantaClaws7

I'm expecting some form of announcement of ticket details and/or a few acts some time soon after the Longitude announcement (Friday January 24th). There's been a lot more activity on the Electric Picnic twitter account and Facebook page over the last 10 days or so also (Asking who fans want for this years festival etc.), whether you can read much into that I'm not sure but I expect some kind of info within the next month anyway!

Who are you guys hoping play anyway? I'm seeing a lot of people talk about Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters, Chemical Brothers, David Bowie, OutKast, Blur, Pearl Jam to name a few. All just speculation at this point. I'm hoping for Foals, Peace and hopefully Morrissey as he's releasing an album this year I think it's quite possible.

They have to announce early bird tickets soon anyway, I'd assume in the next two weeks. Once it hits late February/early March the acts would surely be announced and that could cause a drop in potential sales from the people who would've bought them early before any line up announcement but than didn't like it!

If Longitude announce a Strong line up then lets hope EP announce a stronger line up

Funds being spent elsewhere at this point, I'd love to go but it will be a last minute thing if it's going to happen this year.
    If they managed to book Outkast, it would be massive and I would do unspeakable things for a ticket.

that said..if Outkast do get booked for it I will give up food for a month to afford the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

I'm expecting some form of announcement of ticket details and/or a few acts some time soon after the Longitude announcement (Friday January 24th). There's been a lot more activity on the Electric Picnic twitter account and Facebook page over the last 10 days or so also (Asking who fans want for this years festival etc.), whether you can read much into that I'm not sure but I expect some kind of info within the next month anyway!

Who are you guys hoping play anyway? I'm seeing a lot of people talk about Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters, Chemical Brothers, David Bowie, OutKast, Blur, Pearl Jam to name a few. All just speculation at this point. I'm hoping for Foals, Peace and hopefully Morrissey as he's releasing an album this year I think it's quite possible.

Would be surprised if Moz would go - he requires a meat free environment, does he not?!

• Advertisement

mgkelly wrote: »
    Would be surprised if Moz would go - he requires a meat free environment, does he not?!

That gobshíte being there would be a reason not to go to be fair.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement