Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

So you went to EP last year and had no craic at all? Thats an achievement. Its likely to be just as packed this year so you should probably stay at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

MadYaker wrote: »
    So you went to EP last year and had no craic at all? Thats an achievement. Its likely to be just as packed this year so you should probably stay at home.

Oh sorry. I was talking about the rave in the woods. Not EP. EP is my favourite three days of the year followed by my least favourite 3 days of hangover afterwards :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Though I do wonder how the extra 5000 people this year will affect things. It's cramped already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

david75 wrote: »
    Though I do wonder how the extra 5000 people this year will affect things. It's cramped already.

Unless there's been an update, it's still 35,000 people, not 40,000

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

david75 wrote: »

Its simple, they'll just open up other areas, what would have been probably the Body & Soul Crew camping area last year will probably become another periphery of Electric Picnic forest craic.

Edit: Scratch that, the main road through the town goes through the area where B&S Crew Camping is, but I'm sure there are loads of areas and meadows that can still be opened up to the festival area.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Just noticed that Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, a classic soul act from the 1960s, 70s is playing a few festival dates in August, September, they are down for Festival No 6 in Wales on 4th - 7th September, would be an interesting addition for a Picnic late afternoon act in the sun.

http://www.festivalnumber6.com/en-uk/music/index#filter=*

I also see a few interesting acts for the UK festival run by the Levellers, Beautiful Days held in 15th - 17th August. Dead Kennedys, Jimmy Cliff, Tinariwen (Who played EP in 2008), Adrian Sherwood (He would be perfect for the Trenchtown stage, especially with the Dub Syndicate and African Headcharge in tow.).

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/14/140313g.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

Just noticed that Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, a classic soul act from the 1960s, 70s is playing a few festival dates in August, September, they are down for Festival No 6 in Wales on 4th - 7th September, would be an interesting addition for a Picnic late afternoon act in the sun.

http://www.festivalnumber6.com/en-uk/music/index#filter=*

I also see a few interesting acts for the UK festival run by the Levellers, Beautiful Days held in 15th - 17th August. Dead Kennedys, Jimmy Cliff, Tinariwen (Who played EP in 2008), Adrian Sherwood (He would be perfect for the Trenchtown stage, especially with the Dub Syndicate and African Headcharge in tow.).

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/14/140313g.shtml

http://www.songkick.com/concerts/20020083-martha-reeves-and-the-vandellas-at-button-factory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Beardyman

I see QOTSA have been announced for Belsonic the week before EP, is that a bullet in the chances of them playing??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Beardyman wrote: »
    I see QOTSA have been announced for Belsonic the week before EP, is that a bullet in the chances of them playing??

Oh noo thanked it then realised what you said. Surely they could play? I am keeping everything firmly crossed. I feel like a Garth Brooks fan about this at the moment. :D

(I do not support Mr Brooks in his endeavors on our fair isle it has to be said)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I agree, it took a good twenty minutes - half an hour to get into the main arena on Friday for Wu Tang last year, the security was fairly thorough too.

Didn't think security was too bad on the Friday got a few cans in + queues weren't that long!
    They used the blue ghost thing as an excuse to step up security wasn't impressed, would have been alright if they were actually looking for blue ghosts!! But they were just looking for drink.
    Really gutted was heading in to see Chvrches, well planned and in plenty of time got stuck in a security queue close to the salty dog right at the Cosby stage 50 minutes (I even skipped) it took to get in, cruel as I could vaguely hear the band I was missing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Beardyman wrote: »

Yep it sure does logistically it wouldn't make sense and with no tour dates after the 23rd, wait around a week with no tour dates?? no chance im afraid.

It doesn't rule out a date in the South as theres a gap 15-19 on their schedule, if its the case hopefully announced next week or I may have to go Belsonic again was there for NIN last year thought it was a fairly grand set-up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

FFS anymore search talk/narcotics talk and bans are getting handed out. Very few people give a **** and it's wildly off topic. No debate about this on thread.

Well got the advance volunteer stuff out of the way, just have to update my camping gear, will still try to get one of the loyalty tickets as a fall back just in case the volunteering position falls through.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Well got the advance volunteer stuff out of the way, just have to update my camping gear, will still try to get one of the loyalty tickets as a fall back just in case the volunteering position falls through.

I used to love volunteering at festivals but I just got so sick of being given wrist banding to do constantly...I mean I get that they don't know if they can trust you or not straight away but I'd been volunteering at the same festivals for years!

I've just kind of given up on it now...never volunteered at the picnic though - felt like it was too big to be any use/fun - what's it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Been listening to the Temples album almost non-stop this week, it's cracking.

Any idea when the next lot of bands will be announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

Been listening to the Temples album almost non-stop this week, it's cracking.

Any idea when the next lot of bands will be announced?

Saw them on the NME tour in London last week, his voice was incredibly disappointing live. Put on a decent show though.

I used to love volunteering at festivals but I just got so sick of being given wrist banding to do constantly...I mean I get that they don't know if they can trust you or not straight away but I'd been volunteering at the same festivals for years!

I've just kind of given up on it now...never volunteered at the picnic though - felt like it was too big to be any use/fun - what's it like?

I've been volunteering the last three years now, Life fest, Body & Soul and Electric Picnic. I only done wristbanding once and that was at a small Cork festival in Skibbereen called Liss Ard in 2012. Perverted Coffee did you never do the advance volunteering, sounds like you just done the weekend thing. For advance most of the time we would be coordinating the cross roads directing appropriate traffic to correct areas or scrimming the fences (Putting covers over them so the outside couldn't look in). Its less stressful doing advance and more fun as you are then free to enjoy the weekend. I done all weekend volunteering in 2011 but you get priority for advance for the following year. What festivals did you work at yourself?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

The whole volunteering thing I find bizarre. You basically give you your whole weekend and festival to work at a festival...for free. How bad can people be for a few quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Thomas D wrote: »
    The whole volunteering thing I find bizarre. You basically give you your whole weekend and festival to work at a festival...for free. How bad can people be for a few quid.

Yeah I do wonder about it myself.
    The hours you have to work are madness, you miss out on the whole experience IMO.

Mr.S wrote: »
    If you do the week before the festival, its not so bad.

You can get lucky with shifts during the festival and if you've a mate with you its fine. But don't go doing it expecting to see everyone on plan on, you'll probably miss loads and be wrecked from standing around for hours in the cold!

Handy for the ol' CV as well.

If volunteering at electric picnic makes it onto your CV then your life has gone badly wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

If volunteering at electric picnic makes it onto your CV then your life has gone badly wrong.

That's not really fair. Depends on your line of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Both years I've been to EP I've volunteered, with different groups. Last year I was one of the orange blokes going around selling tea and coffee in the campsites. It was an early start and tough work but it's great craic all the same; everyone from your own crew, fellow volunteers to tent denizens and punters are all in top form.
    We also had free grub and drink the entire weekend (endless supply of BBQ and cans), finished work at lunchtime, and got to (ab)use arena wristband priveleges all the time.

I'm gonna go as a regular festivalgoer this year though, if just to experience it the normal way!

Yeh I've been a regular festival goer for my first five Picnics which were amazing 05, 07, 08, 09 and 10, but I felt the pinch in 2011 so done the weekend volunteering thing for that year. Doing the advance since 2012 has been a doddle, you only have to do it once for the weekend to qualify for the advance but fill in the online application as soon as possible for the following year as there are only fifty places for advance (With POD or Festival Republic). In weekend volunteering theres a tough shift, a middle shift and an early shift. 24 hours for a weekend wristband and can be split into 3 x 8 or 4 x 6. I opted to do the night shift first and get it out of the way, it was quite stressful but worth it persevering. I didn't waste time anyways I went to see three acts before my shift started on the Friday night, got to see Arcade Fire and the Chemical Brothers and a bunch of others when I finished on Saturday night. It was hard on Sunday morning to get up for that early shift at 8 am, but once I was awake it was no bother then had the whole afternoon, evening and night to soak it all in.

Yeh I've been a regular festival goer for my first five Picnics which were amazing 05, 07, 08, 09 and 10, but I felt the pinch in 2011 so done the weekend volunteering thing for that year. Doing the advance since 2012 has been a doddle, you only have to do it once for the weekend to qualify for the advance but fill in the online application as soon as possible for the following year as there are only fifty places for advance (With POD or Festival Republic). In weekend volunteering theres a tough shift, a middle shift and an early shift. 24 hours for a weekend wristband and can be split into 3 x 8 or 4 x 6. I opted to do the night shift first and get it out of the way, it was quite stressful but worth it persevering. I didn't waste time anyways I went to see three acts before my shift started on the Friday night, got to see Arcade Fire and the Chemical Brothers and a bunch of others when I finished on Saturday night. It was hard on Sunday morning to get up for that early shift at 8 am, but once I was awake it was no bother then had the whole afternoon, evening and night to soak it all in.

Fair play for doing it, the advanced would be a great deal!! You get to see & know the festival layout before hand (although I know the place like the back of my hand at this stage), couple of days work and FREE weekend! + do you get a staff wrist band for the wend?
    Although wouldn't fancy volunteering in x3 shifts over the week end. Best intentions! but I make really poor decisions when I'm asleep/about to get up. I would actually decide that's its a good idea to forgo the volunteer deposit just to get a bit more kip!

Not sure if it was volunteering or paid, but I did see one lad sitting in the ditch on the way to the village, got talking to him, that was his job for the weekend! That would be ****! I'd prefer to be in the thick of it!

24 hours of work for what? How much is a ticket to a festival worth if you have to work through 24 hours if it. €50?

Organisers are taking the piss. These should be paid jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

24 hours of work for what? How much is a ticket to a festival worth if you have to work through 24 hours if it. €50?

Ah sure if you don't mind the work and get a free two days at the best festival in Ireland then fair play to them. Both parties are benefiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

And JobBridge is a scam. *FART*

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not really its equivalent to €9 odd per hour!

Really getting back into Beck big time his new album is amazing but really chilled compared to his old stuff looking forward to seeing him

• Advertisement

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Not really its equivalent to €9 odd per hour!

It's not though. If I sold an electric picnic online but said it was only good for certain hours of the weekend nobody would buy it. €50 as I said.
    I can just about understand the pre festival volunteering.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement