Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Right back to line up speculation again, have been doing a little research on festivals occurring around the same time, the week before and the week after and realistic additions that could be made for EP. I won't put full line ups as a few things overlap obviously, just suggestions of some announced so far.

Zurich Openair, Switzerland 28th - 31st August
    The Bloody Beetroots, Richie Hawtin, Darkside (I know Darkside is playing B&S festival, but B&S might book them again for EP), Deadmau5 (He played EP 2008 but his music has become awful cheesy and probably not suited to EP now, plus he is headlining Creamfields, so probably too big as well.)

Parades de Coura festival, Portugal 20th - 23rd August

Franz Ferdinand, Cut Copy, Black Lips, Kurt Vile, Seasick Steve.

Southwest Four Weekender, London 23rd - 24th August

Paul Kalkbrenner, Booka Shade, Above and Beyond.

Outlook Festival, Croatia 3rd - 7th September
    Reggae heavyweight Barrington Levy, Horace Andy, Goldie.

Dimensions Festival, Croatia 27th - 31st August

Caribou, Jon Hopkins (Both playing B&S festival so could be rehired for B&S Village), Mungo's Hi Fi, Scottish reggae troupe who are touring around Europe late August, they wouldn't look out of place on the Trenchtown bill.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Thomas D wrote: »
    It's not though. If I sold an electric picnic online but said it was only good for certain hours of the weekend nobody would buy it. €50 as I said.
    I can just about understand the pre festival volunteering.

You don't get it, do you. There are many reasons for volunteering, one being not been able to afford a ticket but wanting to make it to the festival, I've made some really good friends through volunteering. Also it gives a good insight on how a festival works from the inside, I blog myself about the volunteering experiences and music reviews. Some people have a curiosity about the festivals and might be as MR S says, be interested in event management or just want to see how it all works and comes together. I'm enjoying it anyways, the only thing I had to sacrifice at EP 2011 was the DJ Shadow set, I got to see mostly everything I wanted to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

where can i read your blog bodhrandude?

foolelle wrote: »
    where can i read your blog bodhrandude?

This was my Picnic review from last year, give it a minute or two to load as it has photos and youtube embeds in it, enjoy. http://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2013/09/17/electric-picnic-festival-2013-review/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

Just read your blog there bodhrandude.

One of us thought we were taking a short cut but we ended up getting hopelessly lost

The above happens to me at EVERY picnic.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Some of the best craic I've had at picnic came from getting lost!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

For the doubters, you should probably be aware that if it weren't for the volunteers, meaning if they had to be paid, your ticket to EP would be hugely more expensive.
    Just sayin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

It's not though. If I sold an electric picnic online but said it was only good for certain hours of the weekend nobody would buy it. €50 as I said.
    I can just about understand the pre festival volunteering.

I get what your saying but the thing is you're not selling a ticket online!!
    Your giving someone the opportunity to experience a large part of the festival for free.

Right back to line up speculation again, have been doing a little research on festivals occurring around the same time, the week before and the week after and realistic additions that could be made for EP. I won't put full line ups as a few things overlap obviously, just suggestions of some announced so far.

The Bloody Beetroots, Richie Hawtin, Darkside (I know Darkside is playing B&S festival, but B&S might book them again for EP), Deadmau5 (He played EP 2008 but his music has become awful cheesy and probably not suited to EP now, plus he is headlining Creamfields, so probably too big as well.)

Caribou, Jon Hopkins (Both playing B&S festival so could be rehired for B&S Village), Mungo's Hi Fi, Scottish reggae troupe who are touring around Europe late August, they wouldn't look out of place on the Trenchtown bill.

Could Goldie (the godfather of Chav) play the late Sat night slot?

Fatfrog wrote: »

Wouldn't mind a bit of Goldie myself, have never seen him live, I only have that one track in my ipod that he done with KRS One Digital and the famous chill out zone track Temper Temper with Noel Gallagher on guitar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Booka Shade would be ideal, they're performing live here in 2 or 3 weeks but wouldn't rule them out. Would people think live sets are more likely to be booked for a festival than DJ sets? Read an interview with Todd Terje ahead of his album release and it said he is mainly touring festivals this summer performing his live show.. I know he is playing the Button Factory the weekend of Life but he would be amazing to see at Picnic, although can't seem to see what festivals he is playing at the end of the summer.

When are people expecting the next announcement? I thought someone posted when all of last years announcements were made a few pages ago but can't seem to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Wouldn't even be popular enough to headline one of the small stages at this point I'd say.

You don't get it, do you. There are many reasons for volunteering, one being not been able to afford a ticket but wanting to make it to the festival, I've made some really good friends through volunteering. Also it gives a good insight on how a festival works from the inside, I blog myself about the volunteering experiences and music reviews. Some people have a curiosity about the festivals and might be as MR S says, be interested in event management or just want to see how it all works and comes together. I'm enjoying it anyways, the only thing I had to sacrifice at EP 2011 was the DJ Shadow set, I got to see mostly everything I wanted to see.
    He was rubbish anyway. Decent light show but he mixed everything with drum and bass beats, didnt suit his songs at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

david75 wrote: »
    For the doubters, you should probably be aware that if it weren't for the volunteers, meaning if they had to be paid, your ticket to EP would be hugely more expensive.
    Just sayin

Its a ripoff at every end. European festivals are half the price and not funded on 24 hours of free labour. This country makes me laugh. People being taken for a ride and being thankful for it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Who do ye thing will do a similar slot like Robert Plant last year? Will they go down the "legends " slot like Glasto .

Would love to see someone like Tom Jones ha

Who do ye thing will do a similar slot like Robert Plant last year? Will they go down the "legends " slot like Glasto .

Don't think there's much demand for granny bothering at EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i've seen this mentioned a few times now, the "Robert Plant slot". where has this idea come from that this is even a "thing". why would anyone be doing a "similar slot"? not that i really understand what that slot is anyway... :confused:

Eels played at the same time on Sunday. is that now the "Eels slot"? :confused:

Glastonbury has an old, nostalgic, cheesey, out-of-place act on the Sunday afternoon, Robert Plant was just a regular touring act on the main stage....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

i've seen this mentioned a few times now, the "Robert Plant slot". where has this idea come from that this is even a "thing". why would anyone be doing a "similar slot"? not that i really understand what that slot is anyway... :confused:

Eels played at the same time on Sunday. is that now the "Eels slot"? :confused:

Glastonbury has an old, nostalgic, cheesey, out-of-place act on the Sunday afternoon, Robert Plant was just a regular touring act on the main stage....

Ah right my first EP was last year so i thought that slot was for acts like Plant

Its a ripoff at every end. European festivals are half the price and not funded on 24 hours of free labour. This country makes me laugh. People being taken for a ride and being thankful for it.

Ha ha I think you might be on the wrong web page! http://antiausterityalliance.ie/ try this one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Ha ha I think you might be on the wrong web page! http://antiausterityalliance.ie/ try this one ;)

Ya an you ll find that a lot of european festivals like pukkelpop are subsidised by local government to boost the ecomony and get people from other countries with their money to come. It doesnt happen here because no one in their right mind would come to ireland for a festival.
    Add that and the fact every band has added travel costs getting here, guards being very unreasonable sometimes with their demands(which festivals have to pay for) insurance which for everything is stupid expensive here. Security has to be outsourced to foreign company because local ones have a poor reputatation. Most european festivals there is no risk of not selling enough tickets and making a loss because with populations, demand is much higher and that factors into costs a lot. Also most of europe isnt monopolised by ticketmaster.

There is still a big element of money grabbing with festivals here like with anything else here but its not as big as you think.

Few ive heard complain about volunteering and you'll find the most worn out and pissed off people at it are the ones working hard and got a wage from the weekend.

• Advertisement

Its easier and cheaper to organise a festival on the continent. Its also easier to sell tickets because people can drive from all over.

Black Keys and Jack White are both playing glasto. My friends aren't mad keen on going this year and I don't particularly want to go on my on but if they get added to the line up I might.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I prefer when the thread is full of speculation and excitement. :P

On that note, just bought my tickets on Friday, looking forward it it! :)

I prefer when the thread is full of speculation and excitement. :P

On that note, just bought my tickets on Friday, looking forward it it! :)

Who would you like to see added Monsieur? I've looked at a few festival happening around the same time.

Who would you like to see added Monsieur? I've looked at a few festival happening around the same time.

I haven't looked at the available acts in as much detail to be honest but some of the rumours flying around re: Damon Albarn, Jack White, The Black Keys would be great if true and have me excited! Also I was well and truly in the "please announce QotSA" camp but unfortunately it doesn't look likely at all now. :(

For me personally the current line up is great but is missing a band or two that makes me go "oh, I love these, they're unmissable!". A lot of ye already have that with the current line up which is great but I'm still crossing my fingers for the next few announcements. Got tickets anyway as even with the line up as it is I can tell it's gonna be a great weekend!

I'm quite happy with that first line up announcement myself, but looking forward to the additions too, it will be an added bonus to me, the Body & Soul village will have a separate announcement in the coming months too which will be interesting. QOTSA is probably well ruled out now at this stage, would Jack White be a sub headline or 3rd down from a headline spot on the main stage. Anyways hoping to get my loyalty ticket soon before the deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

When's the deadline?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

When's the deadline?

For the loyalty tickets I assume? 18th of April

Jack White would be a perfect act for one of the bigger tents late at night. But then again The White Stripes headlined the pyramid stage a Glastonbury back in the day so id say although not as popular in the mainstream now as he was then he'd most likely be on the main stage.

You're right there, Jack White in a late night large tent would make for a lovely atmosphere! I don't think he'd have the same impact on an afternoon main stage slot..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭A.Gorilla

Would love to see the Japanese Popstars,Death in Vegas and DJ Shadow added....Saw all 3 at EP before and they were some of the best acts for me. Any of the 3 would be savage!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement