Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

I assume you mean you brought that to the campsite, not the arena? :P

Yesh.

Capri-sun pouches served me well in the arena.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Yesh.

Capri-sun pouches served me well in the arena.:D

How do the Capri sun pouches work? Had sealed bottles of actual water taken off me, so I assume you have to conceal them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Fatfrog wrote: »
    How do the Capri sun pouches work? Had sealed bottles of actual water taken off me, so I assume you have to conceal them?

I think he mentioned a screw top version of the Capri Sun pouch about four or five pages back.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

Fatfrog wrote: »

Yup, tucked neatly into the crotch. There's screw top capri-suns but they are hard to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Have started getting my Capri sun pouches already ;) screw on ones in every shop here thankfully

• Advertisement

Just reading the Bestival forum in efestivals, the discussion in the Bestival 2014 thread is constantly about Portishead, loads wanting them to headline the Big Top marquee and they are worried that Festival No 6 will snap them up in Wales. I think a few might be defecting to EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Just reading the Bestival forum in efestivals, the discussion in the Bestival 2014 thread is constantly about Portishead, loads wanting them to headline the Big Top marquee and they are worried that Festival No 6 will snap them up in Wales. I think a few might be defecting to EP.

I well believe that folk would come over just for Portishead, they're really that good! I couldn't give a flying fook who else plays once I know Portishead are playing EP (listening to Third now as I type this :D) Slowdive are a nice bonus though, lovely band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

I've been trying really hard to enjoy portishead but I just can't..can anyone give me some recommended listening? Everything I've heard so far is boring the life out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

GenieOz wrote: »
    I've been trying really hard to enjoy portishead but I just can't..can anyone give me some recommended listening? Everything I've heard so far is boring the life out of me.

Without sounding patronising they may not be for you. The beauty of Portishead for me is when the delicate vocal of Beth Gibbons is up against an abrasive sound, perfectly executed with this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00PdHIPjaWQ

For a person who is not used to Beths vocals it can sometimes come off as boring, but the beats and her voice just bounce off eachother, just like Bonnie & Clyde (I don't think they ever bounced off each other but you know what I mean) a slow brooding voice with an epic beat can be magical, perfectly executed with this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBOaLjtR4mw

I wouldn't worry mate the Picnic is large enough, there will be other headliners in the marquees and different stages that I would say will entice you anyway. I've liked Portishead for a long time, Dummy their first album from 1994 is probably the most accessible and melodic record, I always thought that Portishead had the trip hop sound down to a t but that they also have a 1960s sensibility kinda like the way Bjork emulates the sixties sound in Human Behaviour, Beth sounds like she is influenced by folk like Sandie Shaw, Shirley Bassey, Peggy Lee. Portishaed always reminds me of a indie James Bond lush soundtrack with grungy guitars, breakbeats and scratch, live drums and electronics. I can't wait to see this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Portishead are a bit of a marmite band. If you don't like Silence, Mysterons, Machine Gun or Over you probably won't like any of their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Try We Carry On as well as the above suggestions, but tbh if you tried to listen to the Dummy album and didn't enjoy it then it's probably best to leave it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

At every picnic there's always a band on every ones must see list that I just don't get no matter how hard I try! The beauty of the picnic!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Wondering, Whats the chances of John Grant getting added to EP with him playing Body and Soul???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Try We Carry On as well as the above suggestions, but tbh if you tried to listen to the Dummy album and didn't enjoy it then it's probably best to leave it be.

Or perhaps have a bit of patience with it? It's a fantastic album and deserves a bit of patience imo.

Give it a few more listens, i could definitely see it being a "grower" even if you weren't sold the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Or perhaps have a bit of patience with it? It's a fantastic album and deserves a bit of patience imo.

Give it a few more listens, i could definitely see it being a "grower" even if you weren't sold the first time

I think it's a tremendous album and one of my favourites of all time, but there's no point in pushing someone towards something. He can listen to it once or twice but if it doesn't tickle his fancy there's plenty of other great stuff out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Wondering, Whats the chances of John Grant getting added to EP with him playing Body and Soul???

Stumbled across him at last years. Loved him. Would be great if he was added

Pretty low i'd say, him having played EP last year too.

Shame, the Olympia gig was great

I think it's a tremendous album and one of my favourites of all time, but there's no point in pushing someone towards something. He can listen to it once or twice but if it doesn't tickle his fancy there's plenty of other great stuff out there.

I agree, it would be like someone telling me to listen to PSBs cos it will grow on me and I'd rather stick rusty spoons in my ears.

Rfrip wrote: »
    Stumbled across him at last years. Loved him. Would be great if he was added

totally, he is playing End of the Road in Dorset that weekend as well.

So basically, if he played last year there is zero chance of him playing again? surely there are acts that have performed two years in a row?

• Advertisement

All of this is true.

I'm just saying that i would have missed out on some of my favourite albums if i'd given up after 1 or 2 listens.

totally, he is playing End of the Road in Dorset that weekend as well.

So basically, if he played last year there is zero chance of him playing again? surely there are acts that have performed two years in a row?

There are a few yeah, it's quite uncommon to play 2 years running though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Only a week to go to buy discounted tickets. That flew!

Don't suppose they'll be adding artists to the line-up between now and then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Eod100 wrote: »
    Only a week to go to buy discounted tickets. That flew!

Don't suppose they'll be adding artists to the line-up between now and then?

possibly, they did last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

possibly, they did last year.

Had forgotten that, didn't realise that the discount period last year was a month aswell. Seemed shorter this year for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Hi, if anyone has a 3 year + discount code they are not using can you pm me (have my ticket already , for friends!) thanks

A Guardian interview with Portishead from 2008, it reveals why we hardly ever see the band on stage, which is why I think EP were very lucky to scoop them. http://www.theguardian.com/music/2011/jul/17/portishead-mirror-festival-interview

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Duff

Ah lads, I can't feckin' wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Duff wrote: »
    Ah lads, I can't feckin' wait!

Annually willing my summer away so I can picnic!!

• Advertisement

Unless you can find a stream for this years Coachella to get ya in the mood.

And we have a live stream, welcome to this years first summer festival http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/music-festivals/6049829/coachella-2014-live-stream-watch-the-fest-webcast

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement