Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Unless you can find a stream for this years Coachella to get ya in the mood.

And we have a live stream, welcome to this years first summer festival http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/music-festivals/6049829/coachella-2014-live-stream-watch-the-fest-webcast

The stream will be on the Coachella CH on youtue as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Unless you can find a stream for this years Coachella to get ya in the mood.

And we have a live stream, welcome to this years first summer festival http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/music-festivals/6049829/coachella-2014-live-stream-watch-the-fest-webcast

Jagwar Ma on in just over one hour, then MS MR i'll be swooning I mean watching:D Lizzy, few cans will take it from there, outkast on a bit too late for me!

Some serious names, but allot of EP acts also. Whats the story with Muse on Sunday night, really far down the list, thought they would be headlining?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Jagwar Ma on in just over one hour, then MS MR i'll be swooning I mean watching:D Lizzy, few cans will take it from there, outkast on a bit too late for me!

Some serious names, but allot of EP acts also. Whats the story with Muse on Sunday night, really far down the list, thought they would be headlining?
    they're headlining Saturday on the main stage. the stream on Sunday is highlights of that.
    likely they want to approve the footage before it is shown, hence not allowing it go out live like most other acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

A friend wants to know if you have to authorise the instalment payments or if they're taken automatically? I'm not sure but I presume it's automatic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

It's automatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Caught some of Outkast's set this morning.
    I had been planning to see them at EP..

As a casual observer, who has never really investigated them more than the singles, I must say I wasn't blown away - it felt flat and wouldn't make me rush to the main stage to see them..

It's possible I just caught them at a lull in the set - it was the few songs before and after Roses.. anyone who knows their stuff care to comment?

setlist.fm wrote:
    B.O.B.
    Gasoline Dreams
    ATLiens
    Skew It on the Bar-B
    Rosa Parks
    Da Art of Storytellin', Part 1
    Aquemini
    SpottieOttieDopaliscious
    (with Sleepy Brown)
    Bowtie
    (with Sleepy Brown)
    Shutterbugg
    (Big Boi song)
    Ghetto Musick
    Tightrope
    (Janelle Monáe cover) (with Janelle Monáe)
    Kryptonite (I'm on It)
    (Purple Ribbon All-Stars cover)
    Vibrate
    She Lives in My Lap
    Prototype
    Behold a Lady
    Roses
    Same Damn Time
    (Future cover) (with Future)
    Ain't No Way Around It
    Benz Friends (Whatchutola)
    Hootie Hoo
    Elevators (Me & You)
    Ms. Jackson
    So Fresh, So Clean
    (with Sleepy Brown)
    The Way You Move
    (with Sleepy Brown)
    Hey Ya!

I find live Hip-Hop excruciating, probably ignorant of me but that's how I feel.

UsedToWait wrote: »
    It's possible I just caught them at a lull in the set - it was the few songs before and after Roses.. anyone who knows their stuff care to comment?
    overall i thought it was great, but i'd agree that it was a bit of a lull round then, some slower solo tracks, and then the stuff with Future, who won't be there for EP/other gigs.

the first half, and last 5 songs or so were the best IMO. those 6 songs that you watched would be my least favourite part of the whole thing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Caught some of Outkast's set this morning.
    I had been planning to see them at EP..

As a casual observer, who has never really investigated them more than the singles, I must say I wasn't blown away - it felt flat and wouldn't make me rush to the main stage to see them..

Give it time, this is the first date of their tour they are probably a bit stiff from not playing together for many, many years. By the time EP comes around they should be pretty tight again.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

I watched the whole thing, and a few things jarred. Terrible crowd, as you'd expect at Coachella, with everyone too busy trying to look cool to enjoy themselves, a good few technical **** ups that particularly seemed to hamper Andre, and Andres performance in general. He didnt seem particularly enthusiastic to be back, faced the wrong way for a lot of the set, hardly moving for much of it, complaining about the admittedly annoying mistakes being made by the technical staff. Might've been 1st night back nerves, but hopefully he takes a few cues from Big Boi from now on, he was fantastic, brilliant energy and performance all-round.

• Advertisement

yeah it looks like they could do with more practice.
    the band/DJ ****ed up the Ms Jackson -> So Fresh So Clean bit, seem to have just completely changed the backing track while Andre was mid-verse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Liked the Outkast set for the most part. The crowd definitely didn't help things though, always seems to be a pretty bad crowd at Coachella. 3k has always had seriously bad stage fright so I'd say performing for the first time in years to a lacklustre crowd didn't help things.

BadTurtle wrote: »
    I watched the whole thing, and a few things jarred. Terrible crowd, as you'd expect at Coachella, with everyone too busy trying to look cool to enjoy themselves, a good few technical **** ups that particularly seemed to hamper Andre, and Andres performance in general. He didnt seem particularly enthusiastic to be back, faced the wrong way for a lot of the set, hardly moving for much of it, complaining about the admittedly annoying mistakes being made by the technical staff. Might've been 1st night back nerves, but hopefully he takes a few cues from Big Boi from now on, he was fantastic, brilliant energy and performance all-round.

Was that Outkasts first gig?

Technically Coachella seems to be poor, Ben Howard last year was furious clearly wasn't happy with the sound. Hannah from grouplove, her mic wasn't turned on for half of the first song and the person on sound didn't realise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

1st half of that set seems solid, would like to see one or two more like 2 Dope Boys and Return of the G, a Day in the Life of Benjamin Andre would be deadly! Really hope that they close with BOB and leave Hey Ya out of there :P Definitely not a closer!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Rob094

Was that Outkasts first gig?

Technically Coachella seems to be poor, Ben Howard last year was furious clearly wasn't happy with the sound. Hannah from grouplove, her mic wasn't turned on for half of the first song and the person on sound didn't realise!!

Yeah Coachella can we weird like that, Biffy played last year and this happened on the first weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIJUc7hdxYM

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea as deadly as most Coachella line ups are dont think id ever go to them . As said the crowd are usually dead and just wanna look cool instead . There is always sound issues (i know that happens at all festivals) but just seems weirdly run.

I remember watching Biffy last year too and found it weird they were pulled off

they have designated alcohol areas too, which are the only places in the arena you're allowed buy and consume alcohol. no wandering around with drinks between stages etc.

plus the latest things finish is 1am, several stages are finished before midnight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

nocoverart wrote: »
    Without sounding patronising they may not be for you. The beauty of Portishead for me is when the delicate vocal of Beth Gibbons is up against an abrasive sound, perfectly executed with this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00PdHIPjaWQ

For a person who is not used to Beths vocals it can sometimes come off as boring, but the beats and her voice just bounce off eachother, just like Bonnie & Clyde (I don't think they ever bounced off each other but you know what I mean) a slow brooding voice with an epic beat can be magical, perfectly executed with this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBOaLjtR4mw

Machine Gun is actually pretty decent in fairness, a lot better than some of the stuff I'd found on my own!
    Although..I honestly cannot stop listening to The Rip, that is without doubt one of the most amazing songs I've ever heard. Everything about it just..wow. Seriously.
    Can't get past some of their other stuff but that is one amazing tune.

I wouldn't worry mate the Picnic is large enough, there will be other headliners in the marquees and different stages that I would say will entice you anyway. I've liked Portishead for a long time, Dummy their first album from 1994 is probably the most accessible and melodic record, I always thought that Portishead had the trip hop sound down to a t but that they also have a 1960s sensibility kinda like the way Bjork emulates the sixties sound in Human Behaviour, Beth sounds like she is influenced by folk like Sandie Shaw, Shirley Bassey, Peggy Lee. Portishaed always reminds me of a indie James Bond lush soundtrack with grungy guitars, breakbeats and scratch, live drums and electronics. I can't wait to see this.

I think I'll give them a go, ah I know there's plenty of others but I like to listen to everyone on the line up before I go(even though I won't see 10% of em) and when they have such a following it's annoying that I can't see the appeal, although I'm beginning to.
    BadTurtle wrote: »
    Portishead are a bit of a marmite band. If you don't like Silence, Mysterons, Machine Gun or Over you probably won't like any of their stuff.
    They seem a bit acquired..have to admit I'm finding a lot of this stuff quite enjoyable!
    Silence and the The Rip are unreal.
    Try We Carry On as well as the above suggestions, but tbh if you tried to listen to the Dummy album and didn't enjoy it then it's probably best to leave it be.

I'll be giving them a go. I can't give up so easy, I'm coming around..
    Rfrip wrote: »
    At every picnic there's always a band on every ones must see list that I just don't get no matter how hard I try! The beauty of the picnic!!!!

True enough!

GenieOz wrote: »
    Machine Gun is actually pretty decent in fairness, a lot better than some of the stuff I'd found on my own!
    Although..I honestly cannot stop listening to The Rip, that is without doubt one of the most amazing songs I've ever heard. Everything about it just..wow. Seriously.
    Can't get past some of their other stuff but that is one amazing tune.

I think I'll give them a go, ah I know there's plenty of others but I like to listen to everyone on the line up before I go(even though I won't see 10% of em) and when they have such a following it's annoying that I can't see the appeal, although I'm beginning to.

They seem a bit acquired..have to admit I'm finding a lot of this stuff quite enjoyable!
    Silence and the The Rip are unreal.

I'll be giving them a go. I can't give up so easy, I'm coming around..

True enough!

This is probably the nearest Portishead comes to the Massive Attack sound, well the intro sounds like Teardrop anyway a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,548 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I too was struggling to get into Portishead but the The Rip is incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Mark Kozelek of Sun Kil Moon is playing at a UK festival on the 29th of August. Chance he'd pop over for Sat or Sun?

De La Soul are touring a fair bit this year too, would love to see them fill out the hip-hop side of things for EP.

Still no word of a second announcement as yet, but it must be soon I'd say.

Mr.S wrote: »
    It goes get ridiculously hot, 35c yesterday during the acts (desert heat now, so feels much worse!) which probably explains the dead crowds.

The alcohol area thing is silly, but drink is so expensive and your so hot that you probably wouldn't be drinking that much during the day anyway.

They have a noise curfew in the camp sites, no noise after 1:30 am! Suppose it makes sense probably essential to get sleep in while it's dark/cool!
    Can you imagine the inside of a tent at 35deg!! Actual HELL!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

They have a noise curfew in the camp sites, no noise after 1:30 am! Suppose it makes sense probably essential to get sleep in while it's dark/cool!
    Can you imagine the inside of a tent at 35deg!! Actual HELL!! :(

Seeing as it feels like 35deg when you wake up in a stuffy tent when there's any bit of sun, the real thing must be horrendous!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭A.Gorilla

have a spare code for a 175 Euro ticket if anybody wants....1st pm secures!
    Gone

Mr.S wrote: »
    I've been at a few festivals where its hit around 30 in the mornings and its awful, usually just try and sleep outside in the shade.

Standing watching a band in 35c heat isn't the best of fun either!

I'll tell ya something, the weather at Life festival 2012 would have been hard to rival in Ireland anyway, totally sun baked and at least 25c, but it did get cold at the fall of night because of the clear skies and absolutely boiling in the morning waking up in the tent. That said, Electric Picnic that year was also amazing weather, not as hot as Life but still great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Anything over 30 degrees is bad for festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

Have done Beni and can confirm that the mornings in the tent are definitely the worst. Waking up as soon as the sun hits you at 6 in the morning cuz you're just sweating and suffocating... And then you're just in a constant struggle to shower and find shade so you can stay energized... It's still great and all, but I'd take a sunny Irish festival day over it anyway!

Thurston Moore could be a possibility for an EP addition he is down for Mosely Folk Festival in the UK on the same weekend as the Picnic, also on the bill is the Waterboys, Felice Brothers, Richard Thompson and Johnny Marr although Johnny Marr played last year.

• Advertisement

Thurston Moore could be a possibility for an EP addition he is down for Mosely Folk Festival in the UK on the same weekend as the Picnic, also on the bill is the Waterboys, Felice Brothers, Richard Thompson and Johnny Marr although Johnny Marr played last year.

I always get goosebumps when I hear this from The Felice Brothers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcAi8JAHO-8

They'd be a great addition!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement