Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Really don't want the Prodigy. Basement Jaxx would be great.

Basement Jaxx has played twice already at EP, Prodigy hasn't played there at all yet, Me wants Prodigy.:D:D:D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

I think they've declined badly since the 90s. Invaders Must Die is a horrible album. Always Outnumbered was just a dull follow-up to Fat of the Land.

And I don't want to be drawn on the crowd issue again, but I do think there's much more likely to be a dodgy element if they are there rather than Basement Jaxx, Orbital, Leftfield etc., especially as there's no other festival with commercial electronic music available in Ireland this year.

I think they've declined badly since the 90s. Invaders Must Die is a horrible album. Always Outnumbered was just a dull follow-up to Fat of the Land.

And I don't want to be drawn on the crowd issue again, but I do think there's much more likely to be a dodgy element if they are there rather than Basement Jaxx, Orbital, Leftfield etc., especially as there's no other festival with commercial electronic music available in Ireland this year.

The way I see it is, its for historic reasons plus they've got a lot of hits and back catalogue too. I mean historic because its acts such as Chemical Brothers (Also have played EP twice), Leftfield and Orbital (twice too) the neolithic rave culture of the 1990s, Prodigy fits perfectly in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I love The Prodigy, but Leftfield would be amazing. I'm going through a big Leftism phase at the moment. It has aged so well!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

They're already playing Sea Sessions. Usually not much bands that play both EP and another festival, even the small sized like Sea Sessions and Indiependence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

They're already playing Sea Sessions. Usually not much bands that play both EP and another festival, even the small sized like Sea Sessions and Indiependence.
    They're only playing a DJ set.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I actually thought IMD was a brilliant album

I actually thought IMD was a brilliant album

It's a brilliant album. Always Outnumbered is terrible though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I was at EP last year so just wondering what the story is with the amount of drugs in previous years compared to then? I would suspect Fatboy Slim attracted some of that crowd and The Prodigy would do the same. I have no problem with users or anything, just curious with regards to the festival atmosphere in previous years when you didn't have these kind of acts.

I was at EP last year so just wondering what the story is with the amount of drugs in previous years compared to then? I would suspect Fatboy Slim attracted some of that crowd and The Prodigy would do the same. I have no problem with users or anything, just curious with regards to the festival atmosphere in previous years when you didn't have these kind of acts.

"These kind of acts"??

You are aware of where the festival gets its name yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Uhoo ooww time for the moderators to shine!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Uhoo ooww time for the moderators to shine!! ;)

Lol

Hey Fatfrog, just realised we're both going to Glasto and EP. Both firsts for me this year! Drinkies have to be had!

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It's a brilliant album. Always Outnumbered is terrible though

It really isn't though. IMD the track is just a Pendulum clone (which is never a good sign, seeing as The Prodigy influenced them starting off), Thunder is an attempt to recapture Out of Space, Omen is a novelty ringtone and Run With The Wolves is a tech experiment to see if they could integrate Dave Grohl's drumming into their music (they couldn't). But I digress...

I'm hoping this will all prove academic, as I still don't fancy them to be announced, based on the fact they're playing the Marquee already, and they would probably be a headliner ahead of Beck or Portishead.
    It would be poor marketing on whoever is running the Marquee to allow EP announce the Prodigy on the 13th of May when their gig two months later hasn't sold out yet.

"These kind of acts"??

You are aware of where the festival gets its name yeah?

I'm assuming he/she means commerical electronic music, rather than electronic music in general. IMO a band like Kraftwerk or Leftfield is more where the name comes from than a collosus like Avicii, or big sellers like The Prodigy and Fatboy Slim, who would be considered above the genre in terms of appeal.

That's my best guess as to why The Prodigy haven't been booked for EP in all their years of touring.

Chemical bros played 2011 and some years before that, can't see them back this year!
    Chems, basement jacks, orbital, underworld, leftfield etc were all very much underground acts. Prodigy were mainstream, although I'd love to see them they just wouldn't fit in, just my opinion! Aren't they playing the Marque Cork? So no chance!

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Lol

Hey Fatfrog, just realised we're both going to Glasto and EP. Both firsts for me this year! Drinkies have to be had!

Yea Glasto first! Going to be a real shock to the system physical size of the place + 130k ppl! Yikes
    Did you not EP last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

Yea Glasto first! Going to be a real shock to the system physical size of the place + 130k ppl! Yikes

you've never been to either? wow, you'll have a great summer :cool: anything else on the cards?

As for Glasto being a shock to the system, well last year was my first and nothing could prepare me for it, get ready to get lost, lots!! and thats the best way to discover new things at it. but by the weekend you might have a better idea of it. have a read of http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq its a great read

apologies for posting this in EP forum!!
    :D

foolelle wrote: »
    you've never been to either? wow, you'll have a great summer :cool: anything else on the cards?

As for Glasto being a shock to the system, well last year was my first and nothing could prepare me for it, get ready to get lost, lots!! and thats the best way to discover new things at it. but by the weekend you might have a better idea of it. have a read of http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq its a great read

apologies for posting this in EP forum!!
    :D

No just Knockanstockan and Longitude last year. Hoping to do them both as well aain this year/ :D

Oh and totally expecting to meet you both for drinkies at one or the other! So get it sorted peeps

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

Mince Pie wrote: »
    No just Knockanstockan and Longitude last year. Hoping to do them both as well aain this year/ :D

Oh and totally expecting to meet you both for drinkies at one or the other! So get it sorted peeps

id say glasto is our best bet

foolelle wrote: »
    id say glasto is our best bet

suits me cos I'll be solo there but with a gang at EP. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

I've been to hard dance and trance festivals that were full of scum out of their bin, and I've been to festivals where literally 98% of the punters were off their chops and it was the safest, friendliest environment you could possibly imagine.

The drugs don't determine what the crowd will be like. The crowd determines what the crowd will be like.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Chemical bros played 2011 and some years before that, can't see them back this year!
    Chems, basement jacks, orbital, underworld, leftfield etc were all very much underground acts. Prodigy were mainstream, although I'd love to see them they just wouldn't fit in, just my opinion! Aren't they playing the Marque Cork? So no chance!

If a commercial dance act like FBS can play then Prodigy would be able . Although i do agree with the fact they are playing Cork it will prob rule them out either way along with Queens doing Belsonic prob rules them out too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

I really like the prodigy, but can't stand them live.
    Every song is ruined by Maxim shouting and effing the whole time.

Wouldn't say no to a Liam Howlett dj set though

It really isn't though. IMD the track is just a Pendulum clone (which is never a good sign, seeing as The Prodigy influenced them starting off), Thunder is an attempt to recapture Out of Space, Omen is a novelty ringtone and Run With The Wolves is a tech experiment to see if they could integrate Dave Grohl's drumming into their music (they couldn't). But I digress...

I'm hoping this will all prove academic, as I still don't fancy them to be announced, based on the fact they're playing the Marquee already, and they would probably be a headliner ahead of Beck or Portishead.
    It would be poor marketing on whoever is running the Marquee to allow EP announce the Prodigy on the 13th of May when their gig two months later hasn't sold out yet.
    :rolleyes: We get it, you don't like the Prodigy. yawn

I'm assuming he/she means commerical electronic music, rather than electronic music in general. IMO a band like Kraftwerk or Leftfield is more where the name comes from than a collosus like Avicii, or big sellers like The Prodigy and Fatboy Slim, who would be considered above the genre in terms of appeal.

That's my best guess as to why The Prodigy haven't been booked for EP in all their years of touring.
    No, it was quite obvious that the poster was asking if it was FBS that attracted a larger "drug element"
    Electric Picnic has always had a drug element due to the nature of the festival, it has a rave in the woods ffs!
    And how can a festival get it's name from one band that played the year after it the festival was formed and another band that played six years after?

:rolleyes: We get it, you don't like the Prodigy. yawn

No, it was quite obvious that the poster was asking if it was FBS that attracted a larger "drug element"
    Electric Picnic has always had a drug element due to the nature of the festival, it has a rave in the woods ffs!
    And how can a festival get it's name from one band that played the year after it the festival was formed and another band that played six years after?

I don't know why I'm dignifying this with a response seeing as you didn't understand what I initially posted, I must be a sucker for punishment.
    Pay attention and don't embarrass yourself this time: I said more critically than commercially electronic bands LIKE (key word, not literally those bands. yeesh) Kraftwerk, Leftfield (if you require a full list let me know, I'm not sure what's confusing you here) rather than mainstream electronic music like Prodigy or FBS.
    It's a boutique music festival. That means left of centre acts rather than the best sellers in a genre.

And in future, try to be a little less snarky when responding, and you'll find people are less snarky in return.

I don't know why I'm dignifying this with a response seeing as you didn't understand what I initially posted, I must be a sucker for punishment.
    Pay attention and don't embarrass yourself this time: I said more critically than commercially electronic bands LIKE (key word, not literally those bands. yeesh) Kraftwerk, Leftfield (if you require a full list let me know, I'm not sure what's confusing you here) rather than mainstream electronic music like Prodigy or FBS.
    It's a boutique music festival. That means left of centre acts rather than the best sellers in a genre.

And in future, try to be a little less snarky when responding, and you'll find people are less snarky in return.
    Yawn

paulbok wrote: »
    I really like the prodigy, but can't stand them live.
    Every song is ruined by Maxim shouting and effing the whole time.

Wouldn't say no to a Liam Howlett dj set though

Yeah Maxim is very annoying. Last time I saw them it was "ISLAND" (Ireland) this and "ISLAND" that.

I don't get this thing about the Prodigy being commercial mainstream dance, their sound is a punky techno thing, they wouldn't have the commercial pop thing of say, Fat Boy Slim, Dave Guetta, Deadmau5 or Calvin Harris. They were made famous more with exposure to things like MTV's Chill Out Zone from the late 1990s, which is basically the age group of the EP going audience since it started anyway. I know they have been booked a lot before by the likes of Oxegen and T in the Park but they usually only ever play to midnight at these festivals, if they got the late night slot from 12.30 - 2.30 am it could be quite a different buzz. No harm anyways, plus they will want to shift the dearer tickets as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Id love it if they were announced.

• Advertisement

I'd be totally happy with the Prodigy being announced. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement