Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

I don't get this thing about the Prodigy being commercial mainstream dance, their sound is a punky techno thing, they wouldn't have the commercial pop thing of say, Fat Boy Slim, Dave Guetta, Deadmau5 or Calvin Harris. They were made famous more with exposure to things like MTV's Chill Out Zone from the late 1990s, which is basically the age group of the EP going audience since it started anyway. I know they have been booked a lot before by the likes of Oxegen and T in the Park but they usually only ever play to midnight at these festivals, if they got the late night slot from 12.30 - 2.30 am it could be quite a different buzz. No harm anyways, plus they will want to shift the dearer tickets as well.
    Up til recently they were one of the biggest selling electronic acts in the world, and one of the few that came close to cracking the American market before the rise of EDM. They have hit singles most people recognise. That makes them a lot more commercial than usual EP electronic headliners like Orbital, Underworld, Basement Jaxx etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Up til recently they were one of the biggest selling electronic acts in the world, and one of the few that came close to cracking the American market before the rise of EDM. They have hit singles most people recognise. That makes them a lot more commercial than usual EP electronic headliners like Orbital, Underworld, Basement Jaxx etc.

Thats it, its not just rave heads thats into them, they appeal to punks, metallers, people that got into dance through the rock thing, the same people who would probably go to an Aphex Twin show. You are right about Maxim though, he does roar 'All my fcuking warriors' a lot. Saying that quite a few of the popular dance heavy weights have played the Picnic a few times now. Orbital (09, 12). Groove Armada (04, 06), 2ManyDJs (04,05, 06, 09), Leftfield (Just once, but they are now playing smaller festivals as a DJ set - Life (13) and Sea Sessions this year), Chemical Brothers (07, 11), Basement Jaxx (06, 11 or 12), Underworld (08, 11). We are starting to run out of the legendary dance heavyweights, so who still has to play EP, Aphex Twin, The Prodigy, who else is missing that could play that hasn't played before?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Well up until last year I would have said Daft Punk but I think they might be too big for the festival now.
    Jamiroquai and Justice would be decent fits I imagine. Have Faithless played? I know they've done Oxegen a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

They have hit singles most people recognise. That makes them a lot more commercial than usual EP electronic headliners like Orbital, Underworld, Basement Jaxx etc.

I would have thought Basement Jaxx would have a lot more "hit singles" than Prodigy tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well up until last year I would have said Daft Punk but I think they might be too big for the festival now.
    Jamiroquai and Justice would be decent fits I imagine. Have Faithless played? I know they've done Oxegen a few times.

Nope, they have never played EP, wouldn't mind them either.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Mince Pie wrote: »
    I'd be totally happy with the Prodigy being announced. :D

Seen them live a couple of weeks ago at the Snowbombing festival, was awesome! Alot of people on pills, but as another poster already mentioned; the crowd determines what the crowd is like. Also if anything, people on pills are probably the nicest people on Earth. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

Thats it, its not just rave heads thats into them, they appeal to punks, metallers, people that got into dance through the rock thing, the same people who would probably go to an Aphex Twin show. You are right about Maxim though, he does roar 'All my fcuking warriors' a lot. Saying that quite a few of the popular dance heavy weights have played the Picnic a few times now. Orbital (09, 12). Groove Armada (04, 06), 2ManyDJs (04,05, 06, 09), Leftfield (Just once, but they are now playing smaller festivals as a DJ set - Life (13) and Sea Sessions this year), Chemical Brothers (07, 11), Basement Jaxx (06, 11 or 12), Underworld (08, 11). We are starting to run out of the legendary dance heavyweights, so who still has to play EP, Aphex Twin, The Prodigy, who else is missing that could play that hasn't played before?

Daft Punk - ( no chance this year)
    Moby? controversial but he was a big act for a while. Don't think he'd make a headliner
    Faithless? I think they are still split up.

After those, you are probably looking at a different type of electronic act.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

But are'nt Faithless a commercial dance act too like Prodigy?:P:P . Think they are on hiatus though but think they are doing DJ sets now

maximoose wrote: »
    I would have thought Basement Jaxx would have a lot more "hit singles" than Prodigy tbh.

Raindrops, Where's Your Head at, Good Luck, Rendez-Vu, Romeo and Red Alert are pretty much their lot, none of them particularly massive. And I imagine most people wouldn't know they're all by Basement Jaxx either, considering how often they change vocalists.
    The Prodigy: Warrior's Dance, Omen, Voodoo People X2, Smack My Bitch Up, Breathe, Firestarter, Out of Space are all big hits, and all quite obviously The Prodigy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Jesus I'd love a bit of moby. I would also love to see the prodigy there, I dunno what everyone is on about with the crowds, everyone is always on a deadly buzz at ep, you'll always have a few exceptions no matter what acts are playing :confused:

• Advertisement

But are'nt Faithless a commercial dance act too like Prodigy?:P:P . Think they are on hiatus though but think they are doing DJ sets now

I'm not a fan, and I would prefer if they didn't play, but if EP really are intent on looking for big electronic acts they're one of th few left they haven't booked.
    I wasn't suggesting they'd play this year anyway, the only headline sized electronic act I imagine could be added to the bill are Basement Jaxx, as they're touring and don't have an Irish date yet, and it's been 5 years since they've played.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

What's with all this talk about The Prodigy? whether they're mainstream or not they belong in the past with SD TV's and brick sized mobile phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

nocoverart wrote: »
    What's with all this talk about The Prodigy? whether they're mainstream or not they belong in the past with SD TV's and brick sized mobile phones.

Damn right! Along with Outkast, Beck, Pet Shops Boys, Nile Rodgers, Simple Minds, The Blades.......oh wait!

Oh dear God no. He can fec{ off to Trenchtown, not fit for the main stages.

But Lily Allen and Paolo Nutini are? It's not like Electric Picnic are averse to picking rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

This will be my fourth EP. I've never paid too much attention to the line-up tbh. It's always a really fun festival and a catch-up with mates.
    I kinda see it as a weekend camping trip, but that's just me. Music is a bonus. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

BaZmO* wrote: »

No, it was quite obvious that the poster was asking if it was FBS that attracted a larger "drug element"
    Electric Picnic has always had a drug element due to the nature of the festival, it has a rave in the woods ffs!
    And how can a festival get it's name from one band that played the year after it the festival was formed and another band that played six years after?

I was asking if the more popular acts brought crowds who were big into drugs, as he suggested. I am obviously aware that people are rolling (many of you included I'm sure) and I re-iterate I have no problem with it. I was just wondering if there was an increase/decrease in use due to the more commercial acts being announced as opposed to the years previous where it was more underground electronic music. It wasn't a slight on FBS or The Prodigy, just a question for comparative purposes.
    I've been to hard dance and trance festivals that were full of scum out of their bin, and I've been to festivals where literally 98% of the punters were off their chops and it was the safest, friendliest environment you could possibly imagine.

The drugs don't determine what the crowd will be like. The crowd determines what the crowd will be like.

I understand where you're coming from but that's not my angle. I was just wondering were there more drugs last year due to the mainstream acts, it's not a reflection on the "kind of crowd" that these things attract. I know EP is geared towards an older crowd so I want a view on whether all the younger lads last year brought much more drugs along or was it barely noticeable.

I was asking if the more popular acts brought crowds who were big into drugs, as he suggested. I am obviously aware that people are rolling (many of you included I'm sure) and I re-iterate I have no problem with it. I was just wondering if there was an increase/decrease in use due to the more commercial acts being announced as opposed to the years previous where it was more underground electronic music. It wasn't a slight on FBS or The Prodigy, just a question for comparative purposes.
    I'm confused, are you saying that a more commercial dance act would be associated with drugs more so than an underground act?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I'm confused, are you saying that a more commercial dance act would be associated with drugs more so than an underground act?

That is essentially what I want to know based on people's experiences. Is the assumption that commercial dance acts bring a lot of drugs with them true or false?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Damn right! Along with Outkast, Beck, Pet Shops Boys, Nile Rodgers, Simple Minds, The Blades.......oh wait!

Even though I'm not a fan of most of those artists you listed, you could argue their music is somewhat timeless. I just feel The Prodigy's sound hasn't aged all that well IMO, like they belong in a certain time or place.

• Advertisement

But Lily Allen and Paolo Nutini are? It's not like Electric Picnic are averse to picking rubbish.

true, but we shouldn't be encouraging them to pick them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Does anyone know if it's easy to get fake sunglasses, tricolours and dirty pills down here? Heading down with 45 of my mates for the first time and we're wondering what to pack

That is essentially what I want to know based on people's experiences. Is the assumption that commercial dance acts bring a lot of drugs with them true or false?

I would've said that it's false.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

All this talk of the Prodigy as I said really like their albums but how ****e are they live!! Absolute rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

paulbok wrote: »
    Oh dear God no. He can fec{ off to Trenchtown, not fit for the main stages.

not fit for main stage? he has a better voice than 99% of artists out there today and an amazing live band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

The Prodigy would be an excellent act to add for the Saturday night. I've been listening to loads of Chemical Brothers lately, I'd love to see them at the picnic again.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Is the assumption that commercial dance acts bring a lot of drugs with them true or false?
    No more so than non-commercial/underground electronic music. It kinda comes with the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Chemical bros played 2011 and some years before that, can't see them back this year!
    Chems, basement jacks, orbital, underworld, leftfield etc were all very much underground acts. Prodigy were mainstream, although I'd love to see them they just wouldn't fit in, just my opinion! Aren't they playing the Marque Cork? So no chance!

Hahaha! Class typo :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Saruwatari wrote: »

Ha ha! 'typo' more like stupid C**t!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Saruwatari wrote: »

The literal epitome of 'underground' :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement