Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rockey4215

Do you actually know what Electric Picnic is?

Haha I enjoy when strangers are needlessly rude on the internet. It was just a question friend. You'd have probably said the same thing if The Killers were suggested before 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Isn't it that festival with all the people with a superiority complex when it comes to their alternative taste in music?

I'm not a skrillex fan myself, but posts like that are just snipey bullshít, there's no need
    I don't think it would be too much to expect of someone to have a look at at least one previous Picnic lineup, which would quickly confirm that the notion of having Skrillex playing is pretty absurd.

You know what's far more tedious than people suggesting that certain acts aren't suitable for an alternative dance and indie festival? Scattergun accusations of snobbery. Save it for a genuine case.

rockey4215 wrote: »
    Haha I enjoy when strangers are needlessly rude on the internet. It was just a question friend. You'd have probably said the same thing if The Killers were suggested before 2012.
    The worst thing about The Killers having played Picnic is the fact that it's since been consistently used as a stick to beat people with any time they express reservations about suggestions for the lineup. Just because The Killers, Ellie Goulding or James Blunt have played before isn't reason to start shoehorning any old ****e into the lineup. The fact that Picnic's so good is not due to an intrinsic property of the festival itself, but because it's built a good reputation based on drawing a solid, mature crowd that are attracted to the lineup. You start throwing in commercial acts and bog-standard rock and you just end up with Oxegen Mk. II. There's nothing elitist about wanting to preserve the ethos of a festival that you've been attending and enjoying for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

You know what I just had to look up Skillrex to see what all the fúcking fuss is about. I don't understand why is incomprehensible that they could play EP? They are one of the headliners at Glastonbury an art and indie festival at its core.

This place is worse for bitching than a fecking sewing circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

There's nothing elitist about wanting to preserve the ethos of a festival that you've been attending and enjoying for years.

I completely agree, but when people start coming out with snide remarks like "do you actually know what electric picnic is" they come off as elitists.

Nothing wrong with saying something like "nah I don't think (insert artist) is very fitting" instead of lads making themselves look like the greatest bellends by talking down to people who aren't up to scratch with their EP knowledge.

But here maybe I'm just talking bollocks :p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 rockey4215

The worst thing about The Killers having played Picnic is the fact that it's since been consistently used as a stick to beat people with any time they express reservations about suggestions for the lineup. Just because The Killers, Ellie Goulding or James Blunt have played before isn't reason to start shoehorning any old ****e into the lineup. The fact that Picnic's so good is not due to an intrinsic property of the festival itself, but because it's built a good reputation based on drawing a solid, mature crowd that are attracted to the lineup. You start throwing in commercial acts and bog-standard rock and you just end up with Oxegen Mk. II. There's nothing elitist about wanting to preserve the ethos of a festival that you've been attending and enjoying for years.

Yeah, I don't book the festival. And as you can see by my lack of knowledge of who Jack U were, I am not a Skrillex fan either. My awareness of him extends to the fact that he's a prominent electronic artist who is playing a number of festivals in Europe this summer, and I know people are speculating on who the big artist of that genre will be on the EP bill this summer (if any). So my post amounted to an innocuous suggestion which has now, because this is boards.ie and you can't seem to make an innocuous suggestion without someone jumping on it derisively, turned into this.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Would agree Skrillex probably would'nt totally suit EP but if he did get added i wouldnt not go because of that or get annoyed to be like "how dare EP book an act like that" since only a few years ago some guy called Deadmau5 played EP :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

..since only a few years ago some guy called Deadmau5 played EP :eek::eek::eek:

He's changed his style drastically since then though in fairness.

rockey4215 wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't book the festival. And as you can see by my lack of knowledge of who Jack U were, I am not a Skrillex fan either. My awareness of him extends to the fact that he's a prominent electronic artist who is playing a number of festivals in Europe this summer, and I know people are speculating on who the big artist of that genre will be on the EP bill this summer (if any). So my post amounted to an innocuous suggestion which has now, because this is boards.ie and you can't seem to make an innocuous suggestion without someone jumping on it derisively, turned into this.
    OK, that's fair enough.

In short, Skrillex makes brostep and that new, "EDM" style of electro house, he's popular with the younger crowd and wouldn't really fit into an EP lineup. This is the kind of stuff he makes (NSFL):

Would agree Skrillex probably would'nt totally suit EP but if he did get added i wouldnt not go because of that or get annoyed to be like "how dare EP book an act like that" since only a few years ago some guy called Deadmau5 played EP :eek::eek::eek:
    Deaudmau5 in 2008 and deadmau5 in 2014 are very different propositions, both stylistically and in terms of fanbase.

Skrillex alone wouldn't deter me from going to EP; Skrillex and a bunch of other tripe would as the crowd would go ****e. I want the weekend to be a reasonably respectable mashfest rather than an extended student ball.

Actually, in this late hour I've realised the error of my ways. I've been a snob all along and it's not for me to decide who's a suitable act for EP and who isn't. The festival needs to expand and draw in a wider crowd. Picnic is now Ireland's flagship festival and it needs the lineup to prove it.

With that in mind, I think the following acts would be appropriate:

The Coronas
    Kavinsky b2b MSTRKFT
    The Script
    Michael Bublé
    James Blunt b2b Ellie Goulding b2b The Killers
    Garth Brooks (DJ set)
    Knife Party
    Tiesto (unplugged)
    Hardwell
    The Kooks
    Foo Fighters b2b Coldplay (DJ set)
    Snow Patrol
    Psy (Crystal Swing played before so no reason why he shouldn't)
    Snoop Lion
    2Pac's hologram

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

A few of them would be decent ya. Woulda loved if Snoop played last year though, he coulda joined Johnny Marr on stage for this killer mashup:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Actually, in this late hour I've realised the error of my ways. I've been a snob all along and it's not for me to decide who's a suitable act for EP and who isn't. The festival needs to expand and draw in a wider crowd. Picnic is now Ireland's flagship festival and it needs the lineup to prove it.

The Coronas
    Kavinsky b2b MSTRKFT
    The Script
    Michael Bublé
    Garth Brooks (DJ set)
    Knife Party
    Tiesto (unplugged)
    Hardwell
    The Kooks
    Snow Patrol
    Snoop Lion
    2Pac's hologram

sarcasm_meme_by_julianbashir-d4xn02z.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Kavinsky and MSTRKRFT got ****ed over there, they'd fit EP fine. They're not EDM, and they wouldn't draw a rough crowd. They're both relatively unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Have Burial stopped touring this year? Would have loved to see them. If Chromeo and/or Moderat are announced I'll be happy. They need a big name EDM artist or someone to bring in the day ticket people but I really can't see anyone who would fit both criteria. Saw something about The Black Keys so it wouldn't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Have Burial stopped touring this year?
    :/

Has not have! Typing from the phone. He had a few concerts dotted around Europe last summer but since then there's been nothing that I can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

AdMMM wrote: »
    So will it be your left or right foot that you'll be eating then? :p

haha, nope. looking at their im sure theyll be announced. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

The Coronas
    Kavinsky b2b MSTRKFT
    The Script
    Michael Bublé
    Garth Brooks (DJ set)
    Knife Party
    Tiesto (unplugged)
    Hardwell
    The Kooks
    Snow Patrol
    Snoop Lion
    2Pac's hologram

Smart arse :p

Although have to admit that I would have to no objection to seeing Buble - he is definitely one of my guilty pleasures.

And a 2Pac hologram would be interesting.

And if the Script went - I would make sure to be at the opposite end of the festival watching a tree, and meditating on some metaphysical problem (God, now I am a snob). Although the lead singer is a knob of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Has not have! Typing from the phone. He had a few concerts dotted around Europe last summer but since then there's been nothing that I can find.

which Burial are you referring to? surely not the elusive one who doesn't tour?

Wow you're right! Every DJ set i've seen was actually a cover...time to re-assess my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

What are some things people are changing from what they did at their last picnic? I'll be bringing less food, a big coat, and try my very best to see more of the non-music things that are on.

Also I'm entertaining the idea of brining a camera this year, not a single picture from last year which was nice, but I've forgotten about a lot of the fun stuff and it would be nice to have pictures to remember it by

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Have Burial stopped touring this year? Would have loved to see them. If Chromeo and/or Moderat are announced I'll be happy. They need a big name EDM artist or someone to bring in the day ticket people but I really can't see anyone who would fit both criteria. Saw something about The Black Keys so it wouldn't surprise me.

Them? Live? "EDM"? I think you need to look up some info on Burial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Sweet Jebus - If Black Keys are announced I'll be delighted.

Would also love to see Justice announced but haven't heard anything about them touring. Like the look of the current lineup though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

What are some things people are changing from what they did at their last picnic? I'll be bringing less food, a big coat, and try my very best to see more of the non-music things that are on.

Also I'm entertaining the idea of brining a camera this year, not a single picture from last year which was nice, but I've forgotten about a lot of the fun stuff and it would be nice to have pictures to remember it by

1) less beer, i didn't get through half of the cans I had last year and they are a lot of weight to shift about, will bring some spirits this year though.
    2) hat, it gets quite cold at night
    3) camping pillow
    4) camping chair, having a sit down is really under appreciated if you've been standing up for 12 hours solid (already have bought the moon chair thingy that halfords have at the moment, pricey but ooooh so comfy)
    5) camera, simple point and shoot though
    6) had a large cool bag, not going to bother with that, beers in between the two layers of the tent at night should do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    And if the Script went - I would make sure to be at the opposite end of the festival watching a tree, and meditating on some metaphysical problem (God, now I am a snob). Although the lead singer is a knob of the highest order.

I'd get hammered and pass out in my tent much easier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I'll probably bring some warmer clothes and a bit more cash so I never have to join that queue for the atm. Other than that I'm going with some mates who have never been before and are probably more interested in the atmosphere than the lineup so I'll probably experience more non-music stuff than I did in previous years. Although I'm not sure anything will beat the talk on milk preparation in the mindfield area a few years ago...I just really wanted to sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Queen-Mise wrote: »

The Script would probably be one of the biggest draws of the festival if they were booked, given the current crowd demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

The Script would probably be one of the biggest draws of the festival if they were booked, given the current crowd demographic.

Not true at all. Big difference between bands like AM/The Killers and The Scirpt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Not true at all. Big difference between bands like AM/The Killers and The Scirpt.

I would claim there is a big difference between AM and The Killers :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

1) less beer, i didn't get through half of the cans I had last year and they are a lot of weight to shift about, will bring some spirits this year though.
    2) hat, it gets quite cold at night
    3) camping pillow
    4) camping chair, having a sit down is really under appreciated if you've been standing up for 12 hours solid (already have bought the moon chair thingy that halfords have at the moment, pricey but ooooh so comfy)
    5) camera, simple point and shoot though
    6) had a large cool bag, not going to bother with that, beers in between the two layers of the tent at night should do the job
    Yep my little 1.49 euro stool was great the last time, nice to not have to sit on the ground every once in a while.
    Need to bring a rubber hammer for putting the tent pegs into the ground. Paid someone in taytos last year to borrow a little hammer.
    I'll probably bring some warmer clothes and a bit more cash so I never have to join that queue for the atm.[...]

The queues for the atm were ridiculous! Also the heineken thing I ended up doing was rubbish, waiting for an hour some times to get cans out, so it was only worth it to get out 6-7 at a time, and sure they were gone warm then by the time you would get past the 5th or so can.

Going to also go with less cans and more spirits this time.

Also want to get a t shirt that says i don't have any drugs, just so people stop asking me for drugs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement