Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

Aphex twin
    Moderat
    QOTSA
    Japanese popstars

Dear god I'm delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Aphex twin
    Moderat
    QOTSA
    Japanese popstars

Dear god I'm delusional.
    Moderat are playing in Europe the weekends either side of Picnic; I'd say they're a shoe-in unless Electric Zoo snap them up so they can be completely lost on a bunch of American kids wearing furry boots and sweets.

Japanese Popstars are touring, and they're an Irish act, so it's hardly beyond the realms of possibility.

Tame Impala are touring Europe as well. They're only booked up as far as mid-late July, but again, it wouldn't be off the cards by any means.

Sadly, I'd say we're as likely to see Joy Division in Stradbally as Richard D. James rocking the house :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

The Horrors
    Thee Oh Sees
    Trentemoller
    tune-yards
    Austra
    Basement Jaxx
    Cut Copy
    Moderat
    Woodkid

I'd be fairly certain that Basement Jaxx will be the late-night Saturday headliners. EP usually pick one of the long-standing big names for the slot - Orbital, Chemical Brothers, Underworld, Leftfield and the likes. It may seem a little predictable, but it's for good reason. Main-stage dance music tends more towards miss than hit, in my experience - you need the pros who know how to hold a large space and, moreover, sound big.

They bucked the trend a bit last year by picking Disclosure. It was worth a shot but I thought it flopped. I know some people did enjoy the set, but for the most part it seemed to be folks who hadn't much experience of house music, or were so many pingers deep they couldn't feel their own faces, never mind give an honest appraisal of the merits of the gig.

Most of the aforementioned aren't on tour, but Basement Jaxx are. I've no idea what their new material is like, but they fairly rocked the place back in 2009, and I'd be happy to see them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I'd be fairly certain that Basement Jaxx will be the late-night Saturday headliners. EP usually pick one of the long-standing big names for the slot - Orbital, Chemical Brothers, Underworld, Leftfield and the likes. It may seem a little predictable, but it's for good reason. Main-stage dance music tends more towards miss than hit, in my experience - you need the pros who know how to hold a large space and, moreover, sound big.

They bucked the trend a bit last year by picking Disclosure. It was worth a shot but I thought it flopped. I know some people did enjoy the set, but for the most part it seemed to be folks who hadn't much experience of house music, or were so many pingers deep they couldn't feel their own faces, never mind give an honest appraisal of the merits of the gig.

Most of the aforementioned aren't on tour, but Basement Jaxx are. I've no idea what their new material is like, but they fairly rocked the place back in 2009, and I'd be happy to see them again.

I really like that disclosure album n was looking forward to seeing them but Jees was so underwhelming

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

I have to disagree with Disclosure being a flop, there was a good crowd there and all loving it from what I seen. (including myself.)

Would they be strong enough to bring in the day trippers on the Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

chemical brothers

Would they be strong enough to bring in the day trippers on the Sunday?
    Very much doubt it. They haven't really been noticeable in the charts since the late 90s/early 2000s. I was suggesting them for Saturday, but.
    I have to disagree with Disclosure being a flop, there was a good crowd there and all loving it from what I seen. (including myself.)
    You hadn't been indulging in the wee performance enhancers, by any chance? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Strangely the official Prodigy website is offline so perhaps they are updating new info, I'm hoping they are one of them tomorrow, there still needs to be some sub headliners too, preceding the big act and post big act for Friday and Saturday anyway, someone that closes the main stage and Electric arena.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Strangely the official Prodigy website is offline so perhaps they are updating new info, I'm hoping they are one of them tomorrow, there still needs to be some sub headliners too, preceding the big act and post big act for Friday and Saturday anyway, someone that closes the main stage and Electric arena.

Foals Chic and Pet Shop Boys all able for that, and Damon Albarn will presumably be there or thereabouts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ciaranf92

Why do some people see Damon Albarn as pretty much confirmed?
    Have I missed some news?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

ciaranf92 wrote: »
    Why do some people see Damon Albarn as pretty much confirmed?
    Have I missed some news?

Is doing the festival circuit and no irish date as of yet unless Belsonic get him. Could see him subbing or headlining 2nd stage if he does play

Is doing the festival circuit and no irish date as of yet unless Belsonic get him. Could see him subbing or headlining 2nd stage if he does play

His current tour dates finish on 26th July though.
    Bit unlikely (as it stands) to then play EP over a month later, with nothing in-between or after.

ITKs have more or less been saying he'll play since before the first announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

Rfrip wrote: »
    I really like that disclosure album n was looking forward to seeing them but Jees was so underwhelming

i enjoyed the gig but can easily agree that it wasnt suited for the usual electronic gig on the main stage, Sat night. they would have packed more of a punch in a tent but it was still very enjoyable.

at the same time we have had all the usual big beat electronic acts take up that spot before so it was different and welcome.

I really really really hope Chic get the Sunday 5pm Main Stage slot. That one usually is a disco-y feelgood slot to get you pumped for the last night.

I really really really hope Chic get the Sunday 5pm Main Stage slot. That one usually is a disco-y feelgood slot to get you pumped for the last night.

This kind of thing is getting really out of hand. The slots aren't designated

Are you aware Kodaline played around that time last year?....

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

QOTSA self confirmed according to their website!!!
    http://bit.ly/1jb6bwT

• Advertisement

liam-neeson.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Duff

If you ever do that again, I'll put your head through the wall.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

The joke will be on me tomorrow when they do get announced!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

garrkell wrote: »
    i enjoyed the gig but can easily agree that it wasnt suited for the usual electronic gig on the main stage, Sat night. they would have packed more of a punch in a tent but it was still very enjoyable..........

Very few suitable late night acts left at this stage! I think moving into the electric arena could be an idea, would lend itself to less popular inexperienced acts, so much more atmosphere in a tent!

Would also like to see Manic Street Preachers added tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭Morrison J

This time last year we got an announcement with 26 bands confirmed so we should be getting a good few additions tomorrow.

Few I could see announced:

Mogwai
    Manic Street Preachers
    Damon Albarn
    The Antlers
    The Horrors
    The Minutes

Yea id say we will get a big number of bands tomorrow. If Queens do get announced i can actual see them subbing because they might have in their contract with Belsonic that they are not allowed to headline any other festivals around the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Yea id say we will get a big number of bands tomorrow. If Queens do get announced i can actual see them subbing because they might have in their contract with Belsonic that they are not allowed to headline any other festivals around the same time

Will ye stop getting me fecking hopes up!!!!

QOTSA won't be added.

• Advertisement

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Will ye stop getting me fecking hopes up!!!!
    BadTurtle wrote: »
    QOTSA won't be added.

What Bad Turtle says is gonna be true sadly :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement