Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Mr.S wrote: »
    Placebo, now thats an act I would love to see at EP.

Yea think they would fit perfect as a sub headliner or Electric Arena headliner

Queens of the Stone Age
    Placebo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Outkast, Placebo and QOTSA would be a dream line up for me and I'd starve in order to get tickets.
    A girl can dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Outkast, Placebo and QOTSA would be a dream line up for me and I'd starve in order to get tickets.
    A girl can dream.

I can't help thinking of the father in 'grounded for life' every time I see the QOTSA lead singer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭gemie

when do the tickets usually come out for electric picnic, what month for 2014??

any one know!?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'd certainly have Placebo over Outkast given the choice. Always found Outkast a bit overindulgent in their own (especially most recent) music, Speakerboxx/Love Below a prime example. Placebo would be outstanding though, would be one of those acts that would swing the decision towards going this year.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

if outkast , queens and placebo are set to play i would be going !!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

since when are placebo essential EP material?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Surely Jon Hopkins would be a shout for this? Immunity was one of the best electronic albums of last year, and he hasn't played Ireland since it dropped. Looks the business live as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ciaranf92

Surely Jon Hopkins would be a shout for this? Immunity was one of the best electronic albums of last year, and he hasn't played Ireland since it dropped. Looks the business live as well.

+1
    Saw him support Coldplay a few years back, would be perfect for EP.

I think Outkast would be fantastic, I'm expecting them to play too. They have 40 festival dates to announce and only 2 are in UK so they'll likely play EP before Bestival.

I've never had the slightest interest in Placebo and personally I've had my fill of QOTSA though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

He played Body & Soul festival last year, usually acts that have played Body & Soul festival there is a good chance they might be on the EP bill later too or in the following year, would love to see Jon Hopkins added.

So far is seems quite plausible looking at his live dates atm He is playing Dimensions festival in Croatia on the 29th August, so definitely a flight distance possibility. Heres hoping.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

What date is EP going to be on this year, I know there hasn't been an announcement as yet but what weekend is this likely to be on, will it be the 29th, 30th and 31st August.

Edit: Just looked at earlier posts its 29th, 30th and 31st August.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Yes, they announced before xmas that it would be on that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Art Fonzarelli

I haven't got anything particularly against Outkast but Jesus Christ, is nobody hoping for something more imaginative? Likewise QotSA and Placebo: boring. This is Electric Picnic, not Oxegen circa 2005.

I haven't got anything particularly against Outkast but Jesus Christ, is nobody hoping for something more imaginative? Likewise QotSA and Placebo: boring. This is Electric Picnic, not Oxegen circa 2005.

So who would you suggest?

Any of these: Goat, Teeth of the Sea, Julianna Barwick, El-P (and/or Run the Jewels), Death Grips, Boards of Canada, Nils Frahm, Darkside, Follakzoid, Hookworms, These New Puritans, Thundercat, Gnod, blah, blah, blah. Plus, interesting stuff I may not have heard before. That would ne nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

I'd love run the jewels or even just El-P to play any gig here.

Any of these: Goat, Teeth of the Sea, Julianna Barwick, El-P (and/or Run the Jewels), Death Grips, Boards of Canada, Nils Frahm, Darkside, Follakzoid, Hookworms, These New Puritans, Thundercat, Gnod, blah, blah, blah. Plus, interesting stuff I may not have heard before. That would ne nice.

I'll be honest, not heard of any of them but I'll freely admit I'm out of touch. will be getting a Spotify playlist together cos love finding new music. :D

I always thought EP was about the more fringe-like acts and, to a degree, genres. It was a fairly decent mix last year and I had a great weekend. I did hanker for a few more interesting acts though, instead of some that you hear fairly regularly on a load of radio stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

I always thought EP was about the more fringe-like acts and, to a degree, genres. It was a fairly decent mix last year and I had a great weekend. I did hanker for a few more interesting acts though, instead of some that you hear fairly regularly on a load of radio stations.

Last year you could easily have said "Arctic Monkeys, TDCC, Ellie Goulding, this isn't Oxegen circa 2010". Having Outkast, QOTSA or Placebo wont stop other fringe acts getting on the bill nor should it stop you enjoying yourself

LUPE wrote: »
    Last year you could easily have said "Arctic Monkeys, TDCC, Ellie Goulding, this isn't Oxegen circa 2010". Having Outkast, QOTSA or Placebo wont stop other fringe acts getting on the bill nor should it stop you enjoying yourself

Well, it will won't it? There's only so many acts that can be on the bill.

Besides I wasn't bemoaning their being there and like I said, I had a great weekend last year, I was just a little surprised at the lack of imagination for acts for an 'arts' festival, 'Ireland's version of Glastonbury' or whatever the quote is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Run the Jewels, Boards of Canada, Death Grips & Thundercat would look great on the EP lineup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I don't think there's anything unimaginative about Outkast. They're one of the most important hip-hop groups ever, and live performances from them have been few and far between. It would be a pretty special moment to have them at a festival in Ireland, especially since it's unlikely to ever happen again as at the moment it's looking like the reunion is a once-off for this year only. They have so much more material beyond Speakerboxx/The Love Below too. Hearing material off Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik or Aquemini would be amazing.

Besides, EP is full to the brim with peripheral acts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Besides, EP is full to the brim with peripheral acts.

And that's why I love it :D
    I would probably know about 50% of the bands that play at EP and for the year after EP I get to know the other 50% and decide if I like them. To sell tickets to a festival like EP you have to have a bit of mainstream (call them crowd pleasers), a bit of the unusual and a bit of the bizarre - the latter two are what keep bringing people back to EP, all the new discoveries.

I think festivals in general are great for introducing people to new music. You find yourself dancing in a field to a band you've never heard before having a great time and that band will be something you'll remember.

Was just having a little google there about EP and it reminded me that the line-up wasn't announced last year until 25th April :( so we've a bit of a way to go yet I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Death Grips, Boards of Canada, Follakzoid, Thundercat

I would go for any of these alone. Especially Follakzoid. God damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

GOAT put on an amazing show at Glastonbury last year. They'd be one act that would make ep worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Arent Outkast one of the most important hip hop acts of all time?
    Genre defining,constantly challenging what HipHop is and bombs over baghdad is a fcuking tune!

They would be a fantastic get for Electric Picnic

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ciaranf92

Beck added to Bestival lineup, the week after EP.

Ahhh I can dream,right?

Beck and Foals will join OutKast in headlining this year's Bestival at the Isle of Wight's Robin Hill Country Park between September 4 and 7.

Beck, who is readying a new album, 'Morning Phase', for release on February 24, will top the bill on Thursday night, with Foals lined up to close Saturday's proceedings.

Also joining the bill for the 'Desert Island Disco' are Disclosure, Major Lazer, London Grammar, Wild Beasts, Sam Smith, Caribou, Clean Bandit, Chvrches and Laura Mvula.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

maybe foals for ep also!

• Advertisement

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    maybe foals for ep also!

Yea hope so , cant see them headlining tbh . Although they could get a Disclousre/2 Door Cinema Club late night slot

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement