Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

joking aside does anyone actually know why there are no big acts? lack of funds, bad reputations? any ideas?

Do you not consider Oukast and Beck to be big acts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Annie Mac will in her hoop be closing the main stage. Jesus Christ this is ridiculous. There's no law saying electronic music is last on the main stage every year. It's happened a lot, but it's a big dance act they're looking at, not a DJ to appease the hardcore fans and clear the rest out of the arena.

Send a letter of complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

Am I the only one happy with the acts announced? Mogwai, The Horrors, Neneh Cherry, Kelis, UMO, Drenge and Wolf Alice would be a decent day out. Coupled with the acts already announced. You can only see so much in a day.

And all the QOTSA guff is doing my nut in, they've played/or will play this island 3 times in little over 9 months. More than ample opportunity to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

joking aside does anyone actually know why there are no big acts? any ideas?

I don't see any particular difference between 2013 and this year in terms of act profile. Ticket prices are a lot lower than 5 years ago so I imagine they have a lower budget overall for booking acts.

Personally, Portishead / Beck / OutKast is a far stronger group of headliners than last year. I think that's down to my preferences though.

In terms of "size" of act, I'd say it's very much same as 2013

If you'd asked me yesterday, I'd have said this year was much better but today's announcement has brought me back down to earth.

Still expecting some excellent acts to be added for BnS, Rave in the Woods etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Theinsideman

Do you not consider Oukast and Beck to be big acts?

no.

Beck's highest UK chart position was 14 in 1997.

Outkast reached number 3 in 2003. Their last 'hit' Ms. Jackson reached #57 in the UK last year.

Beck and Outkast are not big name acts by any measure.

http://www.officialcharts.com/artist/_/outkast/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I think if they were gonna go with the format of a dj/late night dance act on the Saturday night like they have the last few years, Annie Mac would be a decent contender. Chic will probably get the slot though, as they rocked the last time they played Ireland - Forbidden Fruit.

Flume has confirmed he's playing Sunday night (seen him at longitude last year), so he's out of the running for the closing act on Saturday night.

Hopefully there'll be a few more additions over the coming months.

It's not even about a major act playing - best craic I had at a festival last year was at Mr. Whippy from his ice cream van belting out the music at CastlePalooza.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rockey4215

The first announcement had me sold so whatever else comes up is just a bonus for me. Will be more than happy to see Kelis, James Murphy, The Horrors. Will probably stumble in to see Blondie for the sake of seeing Blondie, though any recent footage I've seen of them performing is pretty rough. Was hoping for Janelle Monae and/or Tune-Yards, but you can't have everything (though I think the latter is still a possibility).

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

no.

Beck's highest UK chart position was 14 in 1997.

Outkast reached number 3 in 2003. Their last 'hit' Ms. Jackson reached #57 in the UK last year.

Lol I'd say you need to re check your facts there.

Catmologen wrote: »
    Lol I'd say you need to re check your facts there.

Maybe this data is wrong but i dont think so...

http://www.officialcharts.com/artist/_/outkast/

please correct me otherwise

By any measure besides headlining one of the world's biggest festivals last month, you mean.

• Advertisement

You just cherry picked. Outcast are one of the most successful hip hop acts in history.

Catmologen wrote: »
    You just cherry picked. Outcast are one of the most successful hip hop acts in history.

Check out the link, unless those stats are wrong...just sayin

He's right. Let's get Kian Egan in, he's had 14 number ones.

Check out the link, unless those stats are wrong...just sayin

The stats are right and they are a massive act.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

rockey4215 wrote: »

Oh lol

rockey4215 wrote: »

I dont think its really fair to compare one act against another...

A balance of acts is needed, some have quality others popularity. EP needs to attract large crowds in order to be sustainable.

this isn't me dissing Outkast, im a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

I know I said I was a bit disappointed with the announcement but I didn't expect this amount of bickering. Maybe we should start one of those facebook games with the announced line up:

Post your favourite song from an act you either actively dislike or didn't know prior to them being announced. Also assign an act for the next person to post to explore. Next person posts favourite song from that act and assigns one for the next person, etc.

Might expand some people's horizons and make a more enjoyable EP experience for all because you'll have tons of new sets you want to go to (but probably clash horrors)

I'll start! Unknown Mortal Orchestra...not really getting into these guys but I like this one:

If anyone else is up for playing: London Grammar

I dont think its really fair to compare one act against another...

A balance of acts is needed, some have quality others popularity. EP needs to attract large crowds in order to be sustainable.

I was only joking around. But if we're quoting the Official UK Charts as a yardstick with which to measure EP headliners, both this year and historically, we'd be here a while. It's not like Bjork, Fatboy Slim, Leftfield, Sigur Ros etc. are producing hit after hit or anything. (I know there are a couple exceptions to this). But it's perfectly fine if you don't like the line-up.

EDIT: I'll add that it's a little curious that they don't have that big Sunday headliner like they had the last two years, which was probably the point you were making. Didn't they have Pulp in that role in 2011? I don't know if I'd consider them a big contemporary act for the day-tripper crowd. I'm guessing many will just come for the day regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭endainoz

Hmmm, this might have something to do with the fact that the court case is starting today. People need to stop whining about qotsa, it's getting as bad as Daft Punk from last year.

Still happy with the line up, same as I was last year really. Got to discover a few new cool bands and hope to do the same this year. To the lad saying the picnic is doomed because of this lineup? Ha yeah watch it being sold out by the start of August! ;-)

Summer is shaping up good gig wise for me so far, folk festivals, Eagles in the O2, pixies at the marquee, Garth in Croke park (yeah damn right I said that!) and the picnic in August. Might fit in a day of Indiependence to fill a gap as well. Broad musical taste covered there, followed by a very empty wallet!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

People complaining about headliners not having hit single in Ireland. ****ing hell. What next, complaining they didnt come through an x-factor style talent hunt?

**** off to One Direction for hit singles. EP headliners are supposed to be critically revered cult acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

she sings in the Harbour Bar in Bray every other month. Not really headline stuff is she. hasn't been relevant for 2 decades.

Who's relevant?

headliners are supposed to be critically revered cult acts.

oh well thats brilliant, lets sit back and watch the money roll in ;)

sorry couldnt help myself...too easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

oh well thats brilliant, lets sit back and watch the money roll in ;)

When has that ever been their concern? 2010 was Roxy Music, Leftfield and Massive Attack. Most of the people complaining about the lineup this year would have been in diapers when Leftfield released their last album.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

When has that ever been their concern? 2010 was Roxy Music, Leftfield and Massive Attack. Most of the people complaining about the lineup this year would have been in diapers when Leftfield released their last album.

He's very concerned about the financial outcome isn't he?

I think it'll be a great weekend, Mogwai were brilliant a few years back in the Electric Arena

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Starting to think people should have just bought tickets for Parklife in Manchester cos most of the acts people wanted are going to be there.

Chromeo and Moderat for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hugeglobe

Really don't understand why they got Duke Dumont. He's played Ireland numerous times in the last year, pretty sure he did two gigs in one night a few weeks back as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

hugeglobe wrote: »
    Really don't understand why they got Duke Dumont. He's played Ireland numerous times in the last year, pretty sure he did two gigs in one night a few weeks back as well.
    well they're not putting it on to bring over acts that rarely play here, most EP acts year after year are frequent visitors.

he's had a few crossover pop hits recently, so will probably get a decent crowd, and is a DJ, so generally cheaper than booking a live act/band.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

hugeglobe wrote: »

Both gigs were sold out (i knot the 2nd night was the Trinity Ball) so its a good booking and as said id say is cheap enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Mr.S wrote: »

As Jim Carroll noted earlier it was interesting the announcement was on the same day of the court case.. At least it's over and done with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement