Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

'John Reynolds will no longer be involved in the Electric Picnic..' apparently. via @RMcGreevy1301

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

From the Irish Times:

"The end of an era has come. Perhaps, it is inevitable, but John Reynolds will no longer be involved in the Electric Picnic festival. Reynolds settled his court action with Festival Republic today before an eight day case was due to begin at the High Court. After the settlement was announced, the festival organisers issued a short statement which said: "EP Festivals is pleased to report that an agreement has been reached between POD Music and Festival Republic Dublin regarding Electric Picnic.
    "As part of the agreement, POD Music, a co-shareholder in Electric Picnic, has agreed to divest its stake to Festival Republic Dublin. Festival Republic Dublin would like to thank John Reynolds, director of POD Music, for his contribution to the successful development of Electric Picnic and wish him well for the future."
    Electric Picnic fans will be grateful to Reynolds for the vision he has shown in putting the festival together in the first place. It's just a shame it had to end this way. "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

BadTurtle wrote: »
    2012 had the weakest lineup EP has ever had.

for me, 2012 was one of the best lineups and one of my favourite EPs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

for me, 2012 was one of the best lineups and one of my favourite EPs

Yep out of the seven I've been to, 2012 was the best. I know the weather played a big part but the line up was so strong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Some of the FB comments are hilarious

"Needs another headliner, Hozier, James Vincent Mc Morrow?"

"Looks like longitude is still holding the best lineup this summer"

"for f*ck sake, looks like the woods again this year"

"Where are kodaline????????????????????"
    " Playing in the corridor on Grey's Anatomy."

"That's the worst line up I have ever seen "

"Is LANA DEL RAY CONFIRMED?"

"Yeaj who the hell is James Murphy? Is he a singer? Is he a DJ? Is a local farmer with a herd of line dancing cows? Who is he?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

lol at james murphy quote. it is an irish name, could be just a lad down the country.

very snobby comment but i'm glad there's no big name to attract the unwashed :-o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Some of the FB comments are hilarious

"Needs another headliner, Hozier, James Vincent Mc Morrow?"

"Looks like longitude is still holding the best lineup this summer"

Fan of both but don't think either are headline material.

Had a look at Longitude's line-up, thought there were a handful of acts worth seeing (def not enough to want to go for the weekend and the way it's schedule probably not even for a day)

Bit of a cross-over from past EPs with Ben Howard, Bombay Bicycle Club, Disclosure, James Vincent McMorrow, Chvrches, First Aid Kit etc but guess main differences is most of these acts would have been down the bill a bit whereas with Longitude they're all on one stage (I presume).

Quite a pricey festival too if you'er going for weekend in terms of quantity of acts/not being able to camp esp if you don't live in Dublin and have to pay for accommodation and booze (doubt you'll be able to bring your own in with you).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Rfrip wrote: »
    One poor aul child wrote "lily Allen is the only decent act playing"

:confused:

So love to know what this girl thought of today's announcement!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Every year same line up overreaction! Seems to be a real tug of war between alternative & arts Vs mainstream!
    Not snobbery but some prime examples of 'mainstream aggression' (the type I wanna stay far away from!) on Facebook reactions etc. "what f**king stupid c**t" "Lilly Allen"

To be honest I think EP have done really well from the off this year!
    What ever you think about Outkast or Beck the fact is they're in demand at the moment and are big bookings for the EP to land!. Can't wait to see them!

Still holding out for a few more electronic acts, but hundreds of acts yet to be added.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

lol at james murphy quote. it is an irish name, could be just a lad down the country.

very snobby comment but i'm glad there's no big name to attract the unwashed :-o

Lilly Allen maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

Lilly Allen is a head scratcher alright. Very out of place at the picnic. Luckily there'll be hundreds of other things to do when she's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭PaddyPooHead

Lilly Allen is a head scratcher alright. Very out of place at the picnic. Luckily there'll be hundreds of other things to do when she's on.

Her new album is poor but she's released enough quality material in the past to warrant her place in my opinion.

Been a lot of discussion today about the lineup (obviously) and a lot of it has been negative. To put a more positive slant on things, which new artists have been you been introduced to from the lineup that you are really enjoying?

I've really been enjoying:

Beck (obviously I'd heard of Beck, just never bothered to get into him)
    FKA Twigs
    Kaytrananda (fantastic find)
    St. Vincent (fallen in love with her)

Still plenty of artists on my to-do list but those four have really stood out so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

You should check out Glass Animals they are quiet good not sure what category I would put them into

Beck
    Outkast
    Temples
    The Stranglers
    Annie Mac
    The wailers

They are the ones I wanna see so far. Really sparse with the electronic acts this year though. Hopefully the announce a few decent Djs for rave at least.

What should we expect from Annie Mac?

What should we expect from Annie Mac?

Her old drum and bass sets were awesome, her set at picnic will probably more house orientated though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Just seen on ep's Facebook the lineup underneath some chap wrote "if rather go to last years oxegen than that"
    I said to myself that ep are doing something right

I missed Sinead O'Connor at the 2011 picnic so I might catch her to see what she's like live. Her cover of Nirvanas All apologies is brilliant.

Her old drum and bass sets were awesome, her set at picnic will probably more house orientated though.

That's what I was kind of afraid off much rather the older set

• Advertisement

That's what I was kind of afraid off much rather the older set

As would I, decent drum and bass doesn't have much of a following in Ireland unfortunately. The likes of Ed Rush and Optical, Audio, Decibel point, Sub focus or Calyx and Teebee would be big enough but again they wouldn't have much of a following over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Been a lot of discussion today about the lineup (obviously) and a lot of it has been negative. To put a more positive slant on things, which new artists have been you been introduced to from the lineup that you are really enjoying?

I've really been enjoying:

Beck (obviously I'd heard of Beck, just never bothered to get into him)
    FKA Twigs
    Kaytrananda (fantastic find)
    St. Vincent (fallen in love with her)

Still plenty of artists on my to-do list but those four have really stood out so far.

The new album's brilliant.

Her & David Byrne were gig of the weekend at last year's EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hugeglobe

St.Vincent on Jools Holland for those interested. Starts at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

No-one but Mogwai really take my fancy from the latest additions, a lot of crap I couldn't give a rat's ass about.

Any recommendations for some of the smaller names? Provided it's not more synthpop or indie rock garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Saruwatari wrote: »
    No-one but Mogwai really take my fancy from the latest additions, a lot of crap I couldn't give a rat's ass about.

Any recommendations for some of the smaller names? Provided it's not more synthpop or indie rock garbage.

You should check out unknown mortal orchestra, pretty good a bit like tame impala.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

a question to anyone who has been to a few picnics (this will be my first)

anything absolutely must see that's not music related, seems to be so many smaller stages/areas etc , I'd hate to miss anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

D.Q wrote: »
    a question to anyone who has been to a few picnics (this will be my first)

anything absolutely must see that's not music related, seems to be so many smaller stages/areas etc , I'd hate to miss anything!

I wouldn't advise trying to fit certain things in, just explore at your own pace! There's almost too much on offer to experience completely so go with the flow and enjoy what you can.

Haven't seen Laura Mvula mentioned here once, what's she like?

Not as much reaction to festival republic taking over. Will they still have the sound Scottish security team? Will Reynolds' influence be missed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Electric Picnic owners settle dispute

Over the last year and a bit, Electric Picnic’s owners have been locked in a battle for the control of the direction of the festival. POD Music owner John Reynolds took the case against Festival Republic and today have reached an agreement.
    POD Music were a co-shareholder but now will divest its stake to Festival Republic, leaving Festival Republic, a subsidiary of MCD and Live Nation since 2005 in sole control of the festival.

http://www.goldenplec.com/electric-picnic-owners-settle-dispute/

Not sure if this was posted yet or not - what do people think of the outcome?

edit: ninja'd by PappaDolla :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement