Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

D.Q wrote: »
    a question to anyone who has been to a few picnics (this will be my first)

anything absolutely must see that's not music related, seems to be so many smaller stages/areas etc , I'd hate to miss anything!

Have a good look around the Body and Soul area and keep one eye on it throughout the weekend. There's always something worth seeing or doing there and people seem to regret missing the less promoted sets there more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Not as much reaction to festival republic taking over. Will they still have the sound Scottish security team? Will Reynolds' influence be missed?

Hope so, Scot company are absolute pro's! They can have the craic, particularly with some of the drunken messes they must encounter, but never any mistake as to who's in-charge!
    A small factor that can have a big impact on the general mood of the festival.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Pitchforks at the ready after this comment but what about Chase and Status doing the late night slot? They are doing DJ set at Bestival and for most of their slots during the summer bar a few live shows.

Yes i know they did Oxegen last year and a few other Oxegen's but i think they look deadly live

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

D.Q wrote: »
    a question to anyone who has been to a few picnics (this will be my first)

anything absolutely must see that's not music related, seems to be so many smaller stages/areas etc , I'd hate to miss anything!

Highlight a couple of must see acts, and allow the rest of the time for "wandering"!!! There's so much elaborate micro detail, particularly in the body and soul area, don't brush past stuff, stop and go where you normally wouldn't. I don't think there's any one unmissable, for me it's an accumulation of attitude, atmosphere and a series of small events that make it special. What you see during the day can transform in the darkness (The body and soul in particular) the best parts of the EP are unadvertised and unexpected. Frustrating for some I imagine when there's so much hype about a band not playing etc.
    If going with a large group it's important to split up now and again, it's a logistical nightmare, you'll waste allot of time otherwise! Make sure your 'wandering' buddy(s) aren't the most judgemental and shallow ppl on earth, the barcadi bar might be the height of your exploration! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

hugeglobe wrote: »
    Really don't understand why they got Duke Dumont. He's played Ireland numerous times in the last year, pretty sure he did two gigs in one night a few weeks back as well.

Duke Dumont played EP in 2009 I missed the set but the soundcloud playback of the show is pretty amazing, I might try and catch him this time, he is a decent addition. Was gonna put the soundcloud EP show up but its disappeared now, but check him out hes bloody good.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

As would I, decent drum and bass doesn't have much of a following in Ireland unfortunately. The likes of Ed Rush and Optical, Audio, Decibel point, Sub focus or Calyx and Teebee would be big enough but again they wouldn't have much of a following over here.

RockNess festival in scotland was the one to go to for the artists you mentioned especially Sub Focus and the Annie Mac drum & bass sets, unfortunately it was cancelled this year as it clashes with the World Cup and the big Euro Commonwealth games thing that is on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Peter File wrote: »
    You should check out unknown mortal orchestra, pretty good a bit like tame impala.

Now this is the stuff I'd love to see, cheers man!

My own view on the announcement, was surprised that the Prodigy or Basement Jaxx were not there, my guessing was away off the mark but there is still loads more to come. I did mention Blondie who I seen a bit of at the Rockness 2010 festival which was good enough they played one of my favourites, Union City Blue which is probably one of their rockiest tracks. Might check out Mogwai as i missed them at EP 2011, Sinead O'Connor (Can't stand her so off to another stage), James Murphy (meh, he was crap at Body&Soul last year but I loved all the LCD shows at all the Picnics), Kelis (Don't know them so something to check out), same with Neneh Cherry. The Horrors ( I hear a few talking about them, might check them out if there isn't a clash or that I am not zombified). Will try to catch Duke Dumont, Twin Shadow (whiny indie), Ham Sandwich (Have never seen them) and theres a whole host of others to investigate.
    I was blown away with the first announcement anyway and the second seems reasonable enough, I'm a long time goer who enjoys everything about the festival, some good music is an added bonus and wait for it, theres fcuk loads of good music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Kelis (Don't know them so something to check out)

Her milkshake brings all the boys to the yard. All that needs to be said really.:D

Her new album is supposed to be crackin.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

James Murphy (meh, he was crap at Body&Soul last year but I loved all the LCD shows at all the Picnics)

Did he play Body&Soul last year??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

My own view on the announcement, was surprised that the Prodigy or Basement Jaxx were not there, my guessing was away off the mark but there is still loads more to come. I did mention Blondie who I seen a bit of at the Rockness 2010 festival which was good enough they played one of my favourites, Union City Blue which is probably one of their rockiest tracks. Might check out Mogwai as i missed them at EP 2011, Sinead O'Connor (Can't stand her so off to another stage), James Murphy (meh, he was crap at Body&Soul last year but I loved all the LCD shows at all the Picnics), Kelis (Don't know them so something to check out), same with Neneh Cherry. The Horrors ( I hear a few talking about them, might check them out if there isn't a clash or that I am not zombified). Will try to catch Duke Dumont, Twin Shadow (whiny indie), Ham Sandwich (Have never seen them) and theres a whole host of others to investigate.
    I was blown away with the first announcement anyway and the second seems reasonable enough, I'm a long time goer who enjoys everything about the festival, some good music is an added bonus and wait for it, theres fcuk loads of good music.

Kelis don't know ''them''

Duke Demont ''whiny indie''

Whatever they give you in Galway I want some of what your having!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Duke Demont ''whiny indie''

There was an apostrophe after duke dumont. The whiny indie comment was directed at twin shadow i'd imagine.
    byrneg28 wrote: »
    Kelis don't know ''them''
    Like he said, he doesn't know who Kelis is. It could've been a band for all he knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Pitchforks at the ready after this comment but what about Chase and Status doing the late night slot? They are doing DJ set at Bestival and for most of their slots during the summer bar a few live shows.

christ no !!! saw them at Rock Werchter a few years ago. I was semi-curious and wanted to check them out. All i remember is some MC twat shouting " ye chase and fooking staus.....lets fooking hear ya " over and over and over and over. i have no idea if they even played any tunes as this gobshiiiiite drowned everything out on the mic. beyond irritating

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I'm liking the Districts actually

There was an apostrophe after duke dumont. The whiny indie comment was directed at twin shadow i'd imagine.

Like he said, he doesn't know who Kelis is. It could've been a band for all he knew.

Like Relish :P

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

He played the Friday night of the Body & Soul festival, not the B&S stage in EP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

Yeah, the Friday night in Midnight Circus.

I thought he was very good, the tent was too small for him through so I couldn't pull out my finest jiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

his set at B&S was a bit low-key for the night, as none of the other main stages were open from what i remember, and everyone was crammed in there, and fairly mangled as there was nothing to do for most of the day but drink.

he was great at EP the year before.

Duke Dumont played EP in 2009 I missed the set but the soundcloud playback of the show is pretty amazing, I might try and catch him this time, he is a decent addition. Was gonna put the soundcloud EP show up but its disappeared now, but check him out hes bloody good.
    he was good a few years back. he's pretty **** now, lots of poppy rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

he was good a few years back. he's pretty **** now, lots of poppy rubbish.

Were you into him before he got popular?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Like Relish :P

Just had to look up Relish to see why it sounded so familiar as a band name. Found this on their Wikipedia page:
    "Relish are one of the first Irish rock bands since Thin Lizzy to feature a vocalist who looks as cool as he sings" - get them for picnic!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

miller82 wrote: »
    christ no !!! saw them at Rock Werchter a few years ago. I was semi-curious and wanted to check them out. All i remember is some MC twat shouting " ye chase and fooking staus.....lets fooking hear ya " over and over and over and over. i have no idea if they even played any tunes as this gobshiiiiite drowned everything out on the mic. beyond irritating

So thats a no on Prodigy too :)

Synode wrote: »
    Were you into him before he got popular?
    no, he was popular enough in house circles when i got into him well before his recent pop songs...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Would he not be inclined to play more of his house/LCD Soundsystem stuff considering he's at a festival called "Electric" Picnic?

I too enjoy his older stuff a bit more but he's a solid addition all the same.

edit: talking about James Murphy.

It seems that EP removed their last post with the announcement from facebook, they must've got fed up with the negative posts. I've been replying to all the negative ones yesterday saying ha ha I'm glad I won't be seeing them at the Picnic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

If it filters the idiots from going all the better.

Oxegen was a good net to filter out the casual "music" fans, shame it's gone. Kept them from infesting EP chanting "whomp there it is" and hoping to hear Wonderwall from anyone with a guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Kept them from infesting EP chanting "whomp there it is" and hoping to hear Wonderwall from anyone with a guitar.

I've witnessed plenty of these people at every Picnic since 2006.

Oxegen was pretty great 2004-2008ish. It's a shame it'll only be remembered for the ****storm it became after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

So thats a no on Prodigy too :)

:D

saw them somewhere..... possibly Benicassim, and i dont rememebr them being as annoying. Perhaps that was because i knew more of there tunes and possibly becasue i was so out of the game i was shouting similar garbage

• Advertisement

The Prodigy could still get added as they will need some levy when the price goes up to 230 odd, it makes sense and would probably be after the Marquee gig. EP has done this a few times added big names quite late in the announcement. I've just checked their site again and their tour ends the weekend of 23rd August, so perhaps Benito thats the actual end of their tour or a shock announcement to shift the dearer tickets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement