Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I am a fast walker but also I just carried enough booze for myself (barely drank last year) and was not weighed down by anything but a small back pack and sleeping bag, pretty much everything I needed for the weekend was in the one back pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

Dowdy wrote: »
    10 minutes?! God above, you must be a fast walker. Every year we've gone to the Picnic we've gone to the bottom left corner of Andy Warhol on that map (far from arena but handiest to hold onto a large area for all our gang arriving at various times throughout day and not as much through-traffic), which is half as far from the car park as that route you've drawn, and if I remember correctly it always took us at least half an hour to trek in with wheelbarrows loaded with booze, backpacks, etc.

Took us around a half an hour to get as close as possible to the arena in the jimi hendrix campsite with all the equipment, and that was with a short 5 minute can break?

around 15 minutes just getting small things to and from the car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Chromeo, Danny Brown, The National and a few others rules out of EP, signed up for Made In America 30-31 of August in Philadelphia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

They had Murphys there in 2012 but only in the "VIP" bar, which was crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

How early can you throw your tent down usually? Thursday evening or Friday morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

How early can you throw your tent down usually? Thursday evening or Friday morning?

Gates usually open @9 on Friday morning, I'm assuming there are queues before 9 but I never been there that early, If you arrive around 12-1 the initial rush is over and you can still get a good spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Mr.S wrote: »
    I thought Chromeo had self confirmed for EP?

Think they were just on the initial EP poster Portishead uploaded on their facebook page, and we all got carried away expecting them to be added later. They might have been booked and then realised there was no way they could get to Stradbally from Philly in a day.

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Gates usually open @9 on Friday morning, I'm assuming there are queues before 9 but I never been there that early, If you arrive around 12-1 the initial rush is over and you can still get a good spot.

Would probably recommend that.
    We arrived before at the 9 and the queues weren't necessarily big but every single person going in had a load of bags to go through the security check so it was a painstakingly long process. In line for about an hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I arrived around midday a couple of times and found it fairly easy to get set up. Not much of a wait.

Don't remember seeing ale at previous picnics. Would rather not have to default to Paulaner.

Went around 2pm last year on the Friday and it was already jammed. Might just head down first thing for the craic.

• Advertisement

Went around 2pm last year on the Friday and it was already jammed. Might just head down first thing for the craic.

It's worth it for a half decent parking space near the entrance even. That said it's a pain in the hole waiting in line for a guy to go through your bags knowing full well s/he's not gonna find anything.

"Do you have any deodorant? Fireworks, banned items etc"
    "......No"
    "Ok then, go ahead"

Snarky Snark Snark

In pink moon again this year so don't have worry about camping spot, but defo heading down earlier than the 2ish i turned up at last year so that i get a better parking spot.

desultory wrote: »
    It's worth it for a half decent parking space near the entrance even. That said it's a pain in the hole waiting in line for a guy to go through your bags knowing full well s/he's not gonna find anything.

"......No"
    "Ok then, go ahead"

Seriously??

Snarky Snark Snark

I don't remember being asked about that one last year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Chromeo, Danny Brown, The National and a few others rules out of EP, signed up for Made In America 30-31 of August in Philadelphia.

Ah damn, was still holding out for Chromeo. The National would have been insane but that was never gunna happen anyways :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Seeing as they missed out on Screamadelica, any chance of us getting Psychocandy... possibly in 2015?

Seriously??

Compressed canisters are a no no apparently! Girlfriend had hers taken off her last year.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yup id say Chromeo were originally booked but then decided to do Jay-Z's festival just before the original announcement and Portisheads poster was the wrong one

Mr.S wrote: »
    Same, I just strolled through and didn't even put my bag down, no one asked me anything!

But some people where asked to open bags and they have a look inside, so its all a bit randomised!

Clearly I look like a scumbag :pac:

Clearly I look like a scumbag :pac:

And you smell like one too!!:p ha ha three days without deodorant and shower nice :eek:

I thought the shop sold cans of deodorant?

• Advertisement

And you smell like one too!!:p ha ha three days without deodorant and shower nice :eek:

I thought the shop sold cans of deodorant?

Nah she had another one in the car, I brought it in haha, Italian showers all round :eek:

I don't know to tell ya the truth, although Sure are sponsoring it this year so presumably it'll be all good to bring it in!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Think they were just on the initial EP poster Portishead uploaded on their facebook page, and we all got carried away expecting them to be added later. They might have been booked and then realised there was no way they could get to Stradbally from Philly in a day.

it was hardly getting carried away. it was a safe bet that chromeos reps and been in contact with EP and that it was either they had to pull out or they were to be announced later instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

"......No"
    "Ok then, go ahead"
    Seriously??

I had a can of deodorant taken off me last year and the year before, bit silly but I just shrugged it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Would they let you bring those 5 litre bottles of water in? I didn't try last year but I wouldn't mind one or two of them for a bit of hydration.

Would they let you bring those 5 litre bottles of water in? I didn't try last year but I wouldn't mind one or two of them for a bit of hydration.

Absolutely no reason not to? Not into the arena they wouldn't but into the campsite then yeah. Nothing you can't bring in unless it's specifically banned. Water certainly isn't on that list :p

I think the alco limit is something like 2 litres. I'd just bring a water bottle and refill at the taps down there.

Those large containers are seriously awkward and heavy, killer on the way in! You could bring in the empty container and chance filling it using the drinking water taps in the camp site?

I usually buy the slabs of lidl 0.5-0.6 litre bottled water with the sports caps. Same overall weight but can split up, easier to carry. It's a good way to measure how much you've drank. I make sure to drink 3-4 of these per day. The empties are really handy for taking say Vodka & Vodka + mixer into the arena.
    Although I have made the mistake of taking a huge drink in the morning while hung over, only to discover its raw vodka. :(

Although I have made the mistake of taking a huge drink in the morning while hung over, only to discover its raw vodka. :(

Nasty at first, but a great cure nonetheless. :pac:

Those large containers are seriously awkward and heavy, killer on the way in! You could bring in the empty container and chance filling it using the drinking water taps in the camp site?

Have one of those containers frozen :D throw it in a cooler bag. Stays frozen all weekend easily and just throw cans in on top of it as needed. One big block of ice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I usually buy the slabs of lidl 0.5-0.6 litre bottled water with the sports caps. Same overall weight but can split up, easier to carry. It's a good way to measure how much you've drank. I make sure to drink 3-4 of these per day. The empties are really handy for taking say Vodka & Vodka + mixer into the arena.

Did you just fill these with vodka and bring them in?

Sorry for all the questions but last year someone else had everything sorted all I had to bring in was 2 slabs of cans...not fun carrying it for 15 minutes anyway!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement