Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tomas O'Se retirement

• 03-10-2013 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

Just confirmed it with Dara O'Cinneide on Raidio na Gaeltachta

Thought it deserved a thread of its own, an absolute legend of the game and surely one of the greatest wing backs to grace a GAA pitch.

Those trademark runs up the pitch were always super to watch

He gave some effort v the Dubs in the first half, it was clear to see the legs were gone by midway through the second half

Such was the nature of his game and the energy he used up every match it was always going to be tough to give it another year

Kerry must now begin the unenviable task of replacing him.

Will anyone follow?- Brosnan was rumoured I think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Gerry91 wrote: »

Thought it deserved a thread of its own, an absolute legend of the game and surely one of the greatest wing backs to grace a GAA pitch.

He gave some effort v the Dubs in the first half, it was clear to see the legs were gone by midway through the second half

Such was the nature of his game and the energy he used up every match it was always going to be tough to give it another year

The most consistent field sport athlete Iv seen Right up till his last game great moment where he somehow found his way through three Dubs

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Brilliant player. Best of luck to the lad. No fancy boots, no fancy hairdo, no dramas, just a pocket of AI medals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

He will go down as one of the greatest Kerry players ever. When a leader was needed, Tomás would step up with a 50 yard run & a point.
    He will be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Easily the best wing back I've ever seen play. I had a lump in my throat watching him walk off the field after the All Ireland semi-final. He will be sorely missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

One of the best to ever grace the game,up their with the greatest of all.

Just appointed as Coaching ucc this year,id say he is destined for bigger coachings jobs ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

A legendary wing-back from a legendary GAA family. Gave his all right up to the end.

Don't think there has been better sporting brothers in modern Irish sport than the O'Se's?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Absolute Legend. Probably one of the best wing backs to ever play the game. Will be sorely missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Good luck to him. A very good player.

• Site Banned Posts: 18 Mderators

I wish him all of the best, one of the greats. The perfect GAA player. Gave Kerry GAA a ring there and was talking to the secretary for a good half hour about it. We should all do it lads and show our admiration and respect. The number is <snip>.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Class footballer. He would have been effective in any position on the field and he always excelled when the chips were down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

A legendary wing-back from a legendary GAA family. Gave his all right up to the end.

Don't think there has been better sporting brothers in modern Irish sport than the O'Se's?
    I would have thought a Wexford man would have considered the Rackards to be at least up there with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Too many players get called legends/one of the greats etc these days, but Tomas certainly is.

Will be sorely missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

What a player, hope whatever plans he has for retirement work out for him.

Fitzmaurice has his work cut out to replace one of the best half backs to ever play the game and a former poty. A joy to watch play the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I would have thought a Wexford man would have considered the Rackards to be at least up there with them.

I would. Which is why I posed the question about modern times :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Probably should have retired 2 years ago. The way the game is gone there's no place for someone that age.

I think Kerry will be go through a lean spell as great players like the o se's exit 1 by 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

magnificent player. Unfortunately for Kerry they didnt have more like him these last 10 years they wouldnt have lost so many tight games

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Honest as the day is long but with a bit of bite to him too. One of my favourite players of recent times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

5 minutes to tog off.
    A few sprints.
    70 minutes of hell for leather.
    Shower, 5 mins to tog on.
    Few pints.

No skins, no white socks, no bleached hair and no prisoners.

Marked him once in a Co. Championship game, was moved after 20 minutes. Thought I was doing fine as he made no trademark run and not much ball came our way. Second half Tomas took off and kicked 4 points, ****ing delighted I wasn't marking him then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

I remember him scoring a few monster points against Cork down in the park. An amazing player. Thought he had a great game against Dublin but against Tyrone this year in the league he was head and shoulder above everyone on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

One of the best to ever grace the game,up their with the greatest of all.

Just appointed as Coaching ucc this year,id say he is destined for bigger coachings jobs ahead

A great player, great heart and surely one of Kerrys best over the years. Can we get him involved in coaching our Seniors?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

He was a real class act. Would be surprised if he isn't involved in coaching in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Delighted I got the chance to see Tomas play on so many occasions,like the rest of the O Se clan,noting but 100% would do all for the good of the green and gold,outstanding defender,but also a great leader he could grab a game by the scruff of it neck and take off on one of his trademark runs up the field,lifting both the crowd and his team mates.

Enjoy your retirement Tomas,thanks for all the great days out.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭LMK

A winner if ever there was one.
    He was a gilt edged competitor, didn't give 2 sh1ts who he was on or from what county small or big it didn't matter every one got the same response especially IF they were showing an interest in taking his scalp it didn't take long to find out what type of a competitor they were dealing with.

He'll miss the battle I'd say but time waits for no man, good decision even though Football has lost one of its best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Gerry91 wrote: »

Tomás unfortunately won't be easily replaced. Outstanding person both on & off the pitch. He owes nothing to Kerry GAA. An absolute Trojan Worker so he was.
    Wish him Well in his life outside of playing with our Kerry Senior Football Panel.

kerry4sam
    /To say Tomás will be Missed on the Field of Play would be an under-statement! Everytime I see him play, he reminds me of his Uncle Paidí - fantastic footballer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Amprodude wrote: »
    A great player, great heart and surely one of Kerrys best over the years. Can we get him involved in coaching our Seniors?

He will do a brillant job with ucc.

The way he played,you can clearly recogonise what an astute thinker,and great reader of the game he is.

And of course like all the o se,tremendous passion,and a man that wont be afraid to make brave calls,and rest assured hes template of football ,will be attack minded and not brutal on the eye.

He will help the development of any cork footballer lucky to play under him,the problem is he will also improve the kerry players their also.

Most coaches,cunnigham and eddie enright at ucc,have progressed to senior Inter county.

Also morgan at ucc,o se will learn from him.

The best compliment a cork man can say to him,is we wont miss him,that hes gone,but football will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Mossy Quinn put up a good tweet about most forwrads he spoke to talking about "marking Tomas O'Se"

He said it's usually the other way around- the back is supposed to "mark" the forward! Very true

Similar to thinkstoomuch from a Mayo pov I'll be glad to see the back of him but from a football pov the game is losing a huge great of that there's no doubt! He'll make a super coach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Tom Joad wrote: »
    He was a real class act. Would be surprised if he isn't involved in coaching in the future.

He already is. He is in charge of the UCC freshers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

And then there was one.
    It really is nearing the end of an era for Kerry.
    Another great long serving player gone.

As someone else said I don't think we will see many lasting so long at the top in the future.

Best of luck to him in the future.
    He gave a great amount of enjoyment to a lot of people, Kerry and elsewhere, down through the years.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Rubylolz

Superb player... no frills, no fuss, no media whore... just hardcore determination and the medals to prove it! in my opinion the best wing back in modern day GAA!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Great player, great man.

A given the pedigree of football in that family, it might sicken some Kerry lads in 10 or 15 years to find out who the next generation of O'Se's are playing for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

One of the greats, I too will miss watching him soloing up the sideline and kicking a point when a game is in the melting pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

He gave Kerry fans so many inspirational moments, my favourite memory is of him scoring a skyscraper of a point against Armagh in 2006, just one of many vital scores he got. He was a class footballer with an edge to him, and the best wing back to the play the game in my lifetime.
    Massive, massive loss. Thanks for the memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Best half back I've had the pleasure of seeing in the flesh,undoubtedly would make any revised Team of the Millenium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

He was also as fine a kick passer of the ball as his older brother. Some of his passes into the likes of Colm Cooper and James O'Donoghue were sublime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Great player, good luck to him

• Advertisement
Advertisement