Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

introduce new filter to tank

Options
  • 03-10-2013 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

hi all, I am looking at replacing my filter as the one I currently use (fluval u4) is too large and noisy for my 60 litre tank, the replacement is a stingray elite 15. as my water is already mature(I already have fish for 2-3 months) what method would I use for the switchover? if I just turn one off and the other on I would be worried about loosing the beneficial bacteria in my filter, also I think turning both on will be stressful to my fish (4 neons and 4 guppies).

has anyone done this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭eg6 vtec

i have done this before but on a bigger tank, if you can add some of your old filter sponge to the new one you might get away with it, it might run through a mini cycle tho

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

All you need do is switch the media from the fluval to the stingray and leave it there for a few weeks til it takes hold. I don't know anything about the stingray filter so I don't know how it would fit. Even if you have to cut it to fit or squash it in it will do no harm. That's the easiest way. I did that with mine and had no probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

thanks for the suggestions, they are very different (the filters), I had considered putting the sting ray in the tank and turning it on for an hour or so a day and leave it in the tank even when not running and run the fluval for the rest of the time, hoping that the required bacteria would build up? i'm not sure how long this would take though.. I will look into trying to switch over the media

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

I recall being told before that if you put your media from your old filter into a piece cut out from a pair of tights, tie a knot and hang it near your new filter and run it (non-stop) that this also works.
    I've never tried this so I'd research more if I were you.
    A very handy site I have found is Fishforum.net. Maybe have a little nosey around there and you might find some answers.
    Hope you figure it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I had to get a new filter on short notice when mine packed up recently. I put one old sponge and one new sponge in the new filter and left the defunct filter, with one old sponge and one new sponge, directly beside it so the water would blow over it. Then I swapped the sponges in the 'on' filter for the ones in the 'off' filter. Now I have both new sponges in the new filter, and I squeezed the old sponges into the water before removing them completely. I did it over the course of a few weeks and I haven't had any problems with the water quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 gt4-wrc

run the two together for a week or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

had thought of running the two but was afraid to stress the fish, it'd be alot of flow in the tank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Run the two of them. The Stingray filters are terrible so there won't be a huge amount of extra flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Why not just run the 2 filters side by side for a few weeks.

Advertisement