Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Family home inheritance question

• 03-10-2013 12:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

I hope this is the right forum for my question :)

My elderly father in law is currently living alone in the family home in South County Dublin and is becoming quite incapacitated. The house is old and large and is not ideally suited to his needs but he is insistent on staying there. My wife would like to move back home to care for her father so we are proposing that we sell our own house, which is bcomming too small anyway for our 3 kids and move back and care for her father, which he seems happy enough about. My wife has two brothers who also live in Dublin and do their share for their father, staying with him as much as possible but cannot offer the full time care he is starting to require. The house is willed equally among the three siblings
    Obviously my father in law would be getting full time care he needs and we would be benefitting from having a much bigger house for the kids.

My question is, will we be compelled to leave the home if my father in law passes so the will can be executed? This could be a year from now or 15 years who can say but there is no other arangement between the siblings in this regard

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭camphor

My question is, will we be compelled to leave the home if my father in law passes so the will can be executed? This could be a year from now or 15 years who can say but there is no other arangement between the siblings in this regard

It is up to your wife's siblings. You could buy them out. Alternatively you could swap houses with your father in law and he could will your present house to the siblings so you can stay on in his present house after his death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Alternatively you could swap houses with your father in law and he could will your present house to the siblings so you can stay on in his present house after his death.

Could there be a capital gains issue here ?

What happens if the ops house is worth less then the ops fathers house?
    Could the siblings chase the op for the difference in that the op got a bigger equal share?

amen wrote: »
    Could there be a capital gains issue here ?

What happens if the ops house is worth less then the ops fathers house?

The price difference would be a gift or it could be done at the will stage so it would be an inheritance. The o/p's father in law would change to will to read that the ops wife gets the house subject to transferring her own house to her siblings.
    amen wrote: »
    Could the siblings chase the op for the difference in that the op got a bigger equal share?
    They can only insist on getting what they are entitled to from the will which will have to change if the o/p and his father in law made an arrangement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

camphor wrote: »
    It is up to your wife's siblings. You could buy them out. Alternatively you could swap houses with your father in law and he could will your present house to the siblings so you can stay on in his present house after his death.

Thanks for the advice
    To be honest the value of father in laws house would be far above our own current house. I guess when the time comes we will have to either buy out the other two (unlikely) or more likely that father in laws house be liquidated and divided up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What do the other siblings actually think on the subject ,
    I'd personally be worried if similar happens with my family and the parents home ,ie an inlaw making a suggestion of setting up the plan mentioned where your dads/inlaw house then becomes your family home ,

Op not that your actually thinking like that I've read various and seen similar situations on here and off line that cause riots

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    What do the other siblings actually think on the subject ,
    I'd personally be worried if similar happens with my family and the parents home ,ie an inlaw making a suggestion of setting up the plan mentioned where your dads/inlaw house then becomes your family home ,

Op not that your actually thinking like that I've read various and seen similar situations on here and off line that cause riots

Just to be clear I am not making this suggestion at all, it is my wifes wishes to look after her father and avoid him going into care, I am just asking about what the future implications may be
    In regard to the other siblings ... they dont have an issue with our family moving in to look after their father while he is alive. But obviously the house is partly their inheritance too
    Perhaps some sort of legal advice is needed, maybe an agreement between all parties to avoid problems later on ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Would the sale of your own house be worth 2 thirds of your father in laws house? If it was then ye move to that house signing your to the father in law and only her siblings would get money from your old home. She will have gotten her share by gettin the family home. But I'd make sure it was sorted before selling and moving. Specially with kids anything can happen

The whole situation is risky. You don't know what state the market will be in when FIL dies. You don't know what your accommodation needs will be when FIL dies. You don't know if he will need full time care in a nursing home at some stage nor for how long such care might be needed. The FIL may need to go into the Fare Deal scheme or some other means of releasing equity.
    The least risky option would be to rent out your own house and move in with FIL. At least there is somewhere to go if you have to leave FILs house. There may be CGT implications if you eventually sell your own house but at least there owuld be some security. It would be disastrous if you sold your house, spent the money, maybe on improving FIL's house only for you to be turfed out of FIls house with nothing at siome stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭barman linen

This could be very tricky down the line and you may not be getting the other sibling's real point of view while their father is alive.

To be fair to all I think you should draw up an agreement that you will buy out the other two siblings at market value when FIL passes on.

In the meantime you should be planning to save/invest the proceeds of your current home to build to a sum to pay off the siblings.

You will benefit from 'free rent' during the period your FIL is alive so this should be added to the capital sum to ensure you have the funds available to buy out the siblings.

If you cant get to 2/3 value at the time then it should be reasonably simple to take a mortgage on the FIL house to supplement the proceeds you have built up.

Far better to make the agreement now - even putting the funds in escrow - rather than come to the inevitable row that could build up.

Best of luck....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Just to be clear I am not making this suggestion at all, it is my wifes wishes to look after her father and avoid him going into care, I am just asking about what the future implications may be
    In regard to the other siblings ... they dont have an issue with our family moving in to look after their father while he is alive. But obviously the house is partly their inheritance too
    Perhaps some sort of legal advice is needed, maybe an agreement between all parties to avoid problems later on ?

No no wasn't suggesting that you were as a lot of people find out when an inheritance is on the line what may seem a great gesture of good will on the behalf of your wife and yourself (which I hugely respect) at the time could turn nasty and bitter depending on the other siblings when ever in the future your father in law passes ,

If i remember correct a similar thread possibly on this forum a farm had been inherited by several family members now a cousin who helped on the farm for a number of years was gifted a plot of land for a house or given a house on the land to live as a thank you ,everyone happy at some stage wife of one sibling comes along and decides she either wants rent or the cousin out so she can sell the house or land with her husband consent ,
    If the above is true it shows how things can change rather quick when it comes to inherited land /property

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    No no wasn't suggesting that you were as a lot of people find out when an inheritance is on the line what may seem a great gesture of good will on the behalf of your wife and yourself (which I hugely respect) at the time could turn nasty and bitter depending on the other siblings when ever in the future your father in law passes ,

If i remember correct a similar thread possibly on this forum a farm had been inherited by several family members now a cousin who helped on the farm for a number of years was gifted a plot of land for a house or given a house on the land to live as a thank you ,everyone happy at some stage wife of one sibling comes along and decides she either wants rent or the cousin out so she can sell the house or land with her husband consent ,
    If the above is true it shows how things can change rather quick when it comes to inherited land /property

No worries. I totally understand what you mean regarding the rows that can take place over inheritance and land, its a real shame. Hoping to avoid such similar problems !

The whole situation is risky. You don't know what state the market will be in when FIL dies. You don't know what your accommodation needs will be when FIL dies. You don't know if he will need full time care in a nursing home at some stage nor for how long such care might be needed. The FIL may need to go into the Fare Deal scheme or some other means of releasing equity.
    The least risky option would be to rent out your own house and move in with FIL. At least there is somewhere to go if you have to leave FILs house. There may be CGT implications if you eventually sell your own house but at least there owuld be some security. It would be disastrous if you sold your house, spent the money, maybe on improving FIL's house only for you to be turfed out of FIls house with nothing at siome stage.

This does seem to make the most sense. As you said there are so many unknowns in this situation and we wont own the FIL house outright at any stage unless at some stage in the future we can afford to buy them out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

This does seem to make the most sense. As you said there are so many unknowns in this situation and we wont own the FIL house outright at any stage unless at some stage in the future we can afford to buy them out

I agree that selling your house would be a mistake as you could find yourself with no home for a number of reasons in the future.

The answer to your original question
    "will we be compelled to leave the home if my father in law passes so the will can be executed? ", the answer is yes, you possibly will.

Also, if any member of your in-laws did get upset that you were trying to get the house and do them out of an inheritance, the fact that you had sold your home would potentially inflame this as it might sound as if you have no intention of leaving your FILs house when he dies as you have no other house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

The simple solution is to sell your own house, and use that money to but 2/3 share in FIL's house, on the basis the FIL gifts the remaining 1/3 share. The FIL can then either keep the cash or gift the remaing children. Of course this is on the basis that all siblings agree.

infosys wrote: »
    The simple solution is to sell your own house, and use that money to but 2/3 share in FIL's house, on the basis the FIL gifts the remaining 1/3 share. The FIL can then either keep the cash or gift the remaing children. Of course this is on the basis that all siblings agree.

To be honest the sale of our house, after CGT and expenses would not be close to buying out the shares in FIL's house

To be honest the sale of our house, after CGT and expenses would not be close to buying out the shares in FIL's house

There is no CGT on the sale of principle private residence, there is also the option of mortgage. Or another option is you FIL to give 1/3 share of the house to each child with a life estate to your wife. To do this correctly all siblings need to sit down and come up with a solution they all agree on.

There is no CGT on the sale of principle private residence, there is also the option of mortgage. Or another option is you FIL to give 1/3 share of the house to each child with a life estate to your wife. To do this correctly all siblings need to sit down and come up with a solution they all agree on.

So does this mean that each child would own 1/3 of the house but my wife would have a lifetime right to live there, without actually owning the house ?

So does this mean that each child would own 1/3 of the house but my wife would have a lifetime right to live there, without actually owning the house ?

Yes, if all siblings agreed and it was draw up correctly with proper legal advice for everyone that's exactly what it means.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jackthetrader

Slight variation on this but what would happen in a situation where a parent died and there are 2 children, who both inherit the house. One child lives in the house and the other doesnt, has a family home elsewhere. The child who lives in the house wants to stay there, the other wants to sell the house to release the monetary value that can be divided up equally. If they both own it equally can one compel the other to sell, or not ?

Slight variation on this but what would happen in a situation where a parent died and there are 2 children, who both inherit the house. One child lives in the house and the other doesnt, has a family home elsewhere. The child who lives in the house wants to stay there, the other wants to sell the house to release the monetary value that can be divided up equally. If they both own it equally can one compel the other to sell, or not ?

One can try, the courts would decide.

• Advertisement

One can try, the courts would decide.

Forgive my ignorance but how would the court decide this and what factors would come into play. Assuming this situation happens often in reality :confused:

Forgive my ignorance but how would the court decide this and what factors would come into play. Assuming this situation happens often in reality :confused:

The way the courts would decide any other division of property issue. The courts do this everyday in divorce situations, so why not between siblings. The courts will look at the relevant strengths of each party at an extreme take the following example.

Mr. A has two children Bill and Bob, bob is a little slow, has lived at home all his life and his only income is social welfare. His brother bill has been to university and has a very good job, paying him very well, he lives in a nice house with his family and is very comfortable. The house is worth €40k after sales costs, so €20k each. It is proven that it would be difficult to buy a suitable house for bob for €20k.

But each case must stand on its own facts.

^
    Thats interesting and I can see why each case would merrit its own facts to base on

You could equally say in the above example that Mr A leaves his house to two sons. Bill has gone to university , done well and has a good job, he has a mortgage to pay and a family. Bob has always lived at home, is not slow, just lazy and on the welfare. Its perhaps unfair that a court would award Bob the house on that basis

The way the courts would decide any other division of property issue. The courts do this everyday in divorce situations, so why not between siblings. The courts will look at the relevant strengths of each party at an extreme take the following example.

Mr. A has two children Bill and Bob, bob is a little slow, has lived at home all his life and his only income is social welfare. His brother bill has been to university and has a very good job, paying him very well, he lives in a nice house with his family and is very comfortable. The house is worth €40k after sales costs, so €20k each. It is proven that it would be difficult to buy a suitable house for bob for €20k.

But each case must stand on its own facts.

This can only happen in a section 117 case. Normally the courts just enforce the terms of the will. In a successful section 117 the costs would come from the estate so the house could end up being sold to pay the legal bills. The division of assets in an estate is completely different to the division of assets in a separation or divorce case.

The o/p in this case should not contemplate selling his house and relying on a potential Section 117 application to house him in the future.
    In any case what if the FIL has to go into a nursing home and sell the house to pay his medical bills? The estate could well be insolvent when he dies and there will be no assets to divvy up.

This can only happen in a section 117 case. Normally the courts just enforce the terms of the will. In a successful section 117 the costs would come from the estate so the house could end up being sold to pay the legal bills. The division of assets in an estate is completely different to the division of assets in a separation or divorce case.

The o/p in this case should not contemplate selling his house and relying on a potential Section 117 application to house him in the future.
    In any case what if the FIL has to go into a nursing home and sell the house to pay his medical bills? The estate could well be insolvent when he dies and there will be no assets to divvy up.

No it can also happen where bill and bob own the house in equal share, say given a gift 10 years earlier, then one brother can seek to force the sale if they can't agree. No where in my example did I say the brothers inherited the house so s117 would not apply.

If the father now gifts, or sells the property there is nothing to inherit, and sorts out the issues now rather than later.

In the scenario where Bill and Bob inherit the house. The court will enforce the terms of the will ie: divide the house up equally. As a house cannot be divided in two, I assume that means liquidating it ?

No it can also happen where bill and bob own the house in equal share, say given a gift 10 years earlier, then one brother can seek to force the sale if they can't agree. No where in my example did I say the brothers inherited the house so s117 would not apply.

If the father now gifts, or sells the property there is nothing to inherit, and sorts out the issues now rather than later.

If there is a gift there is no question whatsoever of the courts having any discretion. Your example is straight from a S117 scenario. One co-owner can force a sale. It used to be done in a partition suit, now replaced by the Land & Conveyancing Act 2009. The FIL may not be happy gifting a house while he is alive either. If he needs his equity for medical care or sheltered housing he won't want to find his children unwilling to stump up.

If there is a gift there is no question whatsoever of the courts having any discretion. Your example is straight from a S117 scenario. One co-owner can force a sale. It used to be done in a partition suit, now replaced by the Land & Conveyancing Act 2009. The FIL may not be happy gifting a house while he is alive either. If he needs his equity for medical care or sheltered housing he won't want to find his children unwilling to stump up.

Read the question I was answering, that gives context to my answer. The person asked a question off topic, which was if two people own a house equally, can one of them force a sale, I said yes but it would be fact specific. I gave a outlandish example of where a court may not force a partition and sale. That is all it was a out there example.

Back on the OP, In relation to the father not waiting to gift the house now because if future medical care or sheltered housing, the sheltered housing would be provided by the OP medical care in ireland there is a scheme for such care, if the father has no assets then no issue, if father retains home then only a certain % can be lost due to long term care needs. But of course proper legal and financial advice should be got.

Read the question I was answering, that gives context to my answer. The person asked a question off topic, which was if two people own a house equally, can one of them force a sale, I said yes but it would be fact specific. I gave a outlandish example of where a court may not force a partition and sale. That is all it was a out there example.
    You gave an outlandish example and a result which has no basis in law. The courts do not inquire in a partition suit as to the relative strengths of the parties. can you cite a single reported case where this has been done or attempted to be done? The relative strengths are only considered in a S117.
    Back on the OP, In relation to the father not waiting to gift the house now because if future medical care or sheltered housing, the sheltered housing would be provided by the OP medical care in ireland there is a scheme for such care, if the father has no assets then no issue, if father retains home then only a certain % can be lost due to long term care needs. But of course proper legal and financial advice should be got.
    Schemes can disappear. just because there is a scheme now does not mean there will be one in 5 or 10 years time. Many elderly people have lost medical cards in the last 5 years. Many are paying household taxes which did not exist 5 years ago. many have had their pensions cut.
    The o/p needs to be sensible. He can't afford to buy out the BIls. He cant count on a share of the FIL's house until FIL dies and the estate is distributed. He would be quite foolish imo not to have the security of having a house of his own.

• Advertisement

You gave an outlandish example and a result which has no basis in law. The courts do not inquire in a partition suit as to the relative strengths of the parties. can you cite a single reported case where this has been done or attempted to be done? The relative strengths are only considered in a S117.

Schemes can disappear. just because there is a scheme now does not mean there will be one in 5 or 10 years time. Many elderly people have lost medical cards in the last 5 years. Many are paying household taxes which did not exist 5 years ago. many have had their pensions cut.
    The o/p needs to be sensible. He can't afford to buy out the BIls. He cant count on a share of the FIL's house until FIL dies and the estate is distributed. He would be quite foolish imo not to have the security of having a house of his own.

If you read I never said the court would refuse a partition suit, I only gave an outlandish example where the court may. It was an off topic issue. The person asked can a person be forced to to sell I said yes, the person asked what would the court consider I gave a example of things that might weigh on its mind. It was no more than a throw away comment on a question.

Yes I agree that schemes can be withdrawn, hence why I said they OP and the other siblings and FIL should take legal and Financial advice. Any solution will have its good and bad points.

If you read I never said the court would refuse a partition suit, I only gave an outlandish example where the court may. It was an off topic issue. The person asked can a person be forced to to sell I said yes, the person asked what would the court consider I gave a example of things that might weigh on its mind.

Has any court in a partition suit ever taken those factors into account? You cannot cite one case! What is your authority for such a proposition?
    Yes I agree that schemes can be withdrawn, hence why I said they OP and the other siblings and FIL should take legal and Financial advice.[/QUOTE]

You are trying to have it both ways. You are giving advice and then when your "advice" is undermined saying they should get proper advice.

Has any court in a partition suit ever taken those factors into account? You cannot cite one case! What is your authority for such a proposition?
    Yes I agree that schemes can be withdrawn, hence why I said they OP and the other siblings and FIL should take legal and Financial advice.

You are trying to have it both ways. You are giving advice and then when your "advice" is undermined saying they should get proper advice.[/QUOTE]

I'm not giving advice its against the rules, what I actually said,

"Back on the OP, In relation to the father not waiting to gift the house now because if future medical care or sheltered housing, the sheltered housing would be provided by the OP medical care in ireland there is a scheme for such care, if the father has no assets then no issue, if father retains home then only a certain % can be lost due to long term care needs. But of course proper legal and financial advice should be got."

So I do not see how my advice was undermined as the only advice I gave the OP was to get proper legal and financial advice. You on the other hand seem to be spoiling for a fight, which I can not understand as that will in no way help the OP. I accept I threw out a silly example, I never claimed it was the basis of a decision, if I had I would have quoted it, I never claimed it was law, I was merely saying what a court may consider, in fact I never even said the court would do one thing or another, and guess why, because I don't know what they would do.

Now back to the OP who had a simple question, could they be forced out of house after FIL dies, answer yes its a possibility, so I said what about selling your own house buy FIL house (daddy still has money so can pay for care, or daddy can gift the cash now). OP said no go, so I said what about life interest, (I also said everyone has to agree). No legal advice there just options for the OP to explore.

In the scenario where Bill and Bob inherit the house. The court will enforce the terms of the will ie: divide the house up equally. As a house cannot be divided in two, I assume that means liquidating it ?

Thats quite true. A house cannot really be divided into two. I guess the most logical thing is to turn it into cash and divide that up. It might be up to the executor of the will to oversee that

You are trying to have it both ways. You are giving advice and then when your "advice" is undermined saying they should get proper advice.

" I accept I threw out a silly example, I never claimed it was the basis of a decision, if I had I would have quoted it, I never claimed it was law, I was merely saying what a court may consider, in fact I never even said the court would do one thing or another, and guess why, because I don't know what they would do.

.[/QUOTE]

Says it all really.

" I accept I threw out a silly example, I never claimed it was the basis of a decision, if I had I would have quoted it, I never claimed it was law, I was merely saying what a court may consider, in fact I never even said the court would do one thing or another, and guess why, because I don't know what they would do.

Says it all really.

Yes and! It was a throw away comment. Your issue is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

[quote

My elderly father in law is currently living alone in the family home in South County Dublin and is becoming quite incapacitated. The house is old and large and is not ideally suited to his needs but he is insistent on staying there. My wife would like to move back home to care for her father so we are proposing that we sell our own house, which is bcomming too small anyway for our 3 kids and move back and care for her father, which he seems happy enough about. My wife has two brothers who also live in Dublin and do their share for their father, staying with him as much as possible but cannot offer the full time care he is starting to require. The house is willed equally among the three siblings
    Obviously my father in law would be getting full time care he needs and we would be benefitting from having a much bigger house for the kids.

My question is, will we be compelled to leave the home if my father in law passes so the will can be executed? This could be a year from now or 15 years who can say but there is no other arangement between the siblings in this regard[/quote]

I can foresee a whole family saga around this. Have you considered that it is not your family home & that the two brothers may /will continue to come over & spend time in their family home with their father. How will you feel about this when you are homeless and living there & have fallen out with them but come in to see them watching TV & staying the night?

You will he looking into a whole raft of issues and problems - what if your FIL medical needs require specialist treatment, or care. If he has to sell his home do you want him to be unable or unwilling to do so as it will make you homeless ? ? What if he falls out with you or wants you or your children to leave? What happens then? Where will you go & what will your family do if you have sold your small house then?

I can't imagine both siblings and anyone else who might benefit from the potential will being happy with this proposed scenario.

What if your wife becomes ill and is unable to care for her father. Will she eventually be expected to do the heavy lifting that caring for any elderly or incapacitated person entails? Will you stay home from work to help?

I would be asking and assuming that you would retain your own home, and renting it out , and also providing a rental income to the FIL by renting at whatever decided rate .

That would provide some security & legal standing to you and your family , and allowing the father in law and brothers in law the benefit of a solid framework which they could have some security and confidence in. If they agree to ut- and they may not.

As your fil would be resident in the house it should come under the rent a room scheme as it would still be his principle primary residence . This would allow him to collect an income from you ( I think it's 12,000 or 14,000 pa) and this could be used to offset bills /medical costs /other care requirements as his situation evolves. Your wife and ultimately children and you of course would benefit as he would have a fixed regular income to retain the additional services of a part time care provisionorganisation such as bluebird or home stay . You may see the advantages of a big "free" house but the reality may well be that as your FIL's medical & care needs evolve your wife may simply not want or be able to give him the care he needs. She will additionally be minding 3 kids & will want holidays/ weekends away with you and to be able to leave to go shopping/meet friends/ go for a walk/do school runs /be herself etc. The reality that most home carers in Ireland find is that they become overwhelmed with the requirements of their loved one as the situation evolves & cannot wave or walk away as there is no one else to mind the elderly person. The home caters association have been protesting all last year & marched on the Dail last year and every year at budget time to emphasise these issues. They also have a great website listing some of basic difficulties caters face ; your wife should look at this before you make any decision to sell & /or move in.

This could probably offset the concerns of the other siblings and tHEIR wife's who will also no doubt have an eye to their wants & inheritances also.

Tbh I'm not sure how well thought out this is -the focus seems from your thread to be on the asset value of his house - it must be huge if it will allow the owner, you, your wife, and 3 other people to live their comfortably. I can't imagine the rest of the family just allowing you to sell up & move in for the rest of your lives without there being major issues & concerns.

I would also be asking basics like if there will be an additional 5 people living in the house who will pay the additional gas/oil & heat & water bills. Not your FIL? Not to mention all the other logistical costs & issues .

I would also be extremely concerned about the long time cost to your family, home life & most particularly your wife if you close & lock all doors behind you - it sounds fraught with difficult scenarios & legal pitfalls & is a big gamble for the peace & stability of your family.

Yes and! It was a throw away comment. Your issue is?
    It demonstrates that you don't know what you are talking about and are inventing fantasy scenarios.

It demonstrates that you don't know what you are talking about and are inventing fantasy scenarios.

Are not a lot of scenarios fantasy. I never said it was anything other than a made up throw away creation. You on the other hand have an issue with telling the difference between fact and fiction, as well as advice from opinion. Bit of an issue that.

It is people like you that turn what is a bit of informative fun in to a chore, for at least 50% of this thread we (yes I include me) have dragged this thread totally off topic. I have accepted it was a silly example to use, so why are we (you) still harping on about it.

Are not a lot of scenarios fantasy. I never said it was anything other than a made up throw away creation. You on the other hand have an issue with telling the difference between fact and fiction, as well as advice from opinion. Bit of an issue that.

It is people like you that turn what is a bit of informative fun in to a chore, for at least 50% of this thread we (yes I include me) have dragged this thread totally off topic. I have accepted it was a silly example to use, so why are we (you) still harping on about it.

Whatever about your example, saying the courts will take certain factors into account is making a proposition of law. Propositions of law need to be backed up with authority, either case law or statute. You made a proposition of law with no basis whatsoever for saying it.
    That is just drivel and I don't think it is fun. It is certainly not informative.

Whatever about your example, saying the courts will take certain factors into account is making a proposition of law. Propositions of law need to be backed up with authority, either case law or statute. You made a proposition of law with no basis whatsoever for saying it.
    That is just drivel and I don't think it is fun. It is certainly not informative.

"The way the courts would decide any other division of property issue. The courts do this everyday in divorce situations, so why not between siblings. The courts will look at the relevant strengths of each party at an extreme take the following example.

But each case must stand on its own facts."

I never said what the court would or would not do, I simply say that courts do Forse sales every day. No where did I say they would or would not order a sale. I left the person I was responding to decide for them selves.

• Advertisement

I can foresee a whole family saga around this. Have you considered that it is not your family home & that the two brothers may /will continue to come over & spend time in their family home with their father. How will you feel about this when you are homeless and living there & have fallen out with them but come in to see them watching TV & staying the night?

You will he looking into a whole raft of issues and problems - what if your FIL medical needs require specialist treatment, or care. If he has to sell his home do you want him to be unable or unwilling to do so as it will make you homeless ? ? What if he falls out with you or wants you or your children to leave? What happens then? Where will you go & what will your family do if you have sold your small house then?

I can't imagine both siblings and anyone else who might benefit from the potential will being happy with this proposed scenario.

I would have the same concerns. The fact that OP family will never actually have a legal right to own the house but will effectively be renters or dare I say Squatters would worry me. The other family members would have the same legal right to stay there when they wanted, they may actually want to just to show its their house too. The other siblings perhaps have kids of their own they would like to leave an inheritance too. Why would they walk away from that. I understand that caring for an eldery parent is very tough but it doesnt give you any more rights legally afaik

Of course the flip side is that OP family do not move in with FIL to look after him. FIL soon requires full time care, goes into a nursing home and the house is required to pay for the care. Then no sibling inherits anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Of course the flip side is that OP family do not move in with FIL to look after him. FIL soon requires full time care, goes into a nursing home and the house is required to pay for the care. Then no sibling inherits anything

Not quite - FIL is admitted to hospital via ambulance call-out ( key point) ; is then admitted as an emergency so is under " free" care if not VHI is not declared. Family refuse to sign him out without appropriate home care & supports provided . Standard practice nowadays. Home care & supports provided.

But each case must stand on its own facts."

I never said what the court would or would not do, I simply say that courts do Forse sales every day. No where did I say they would or would not order a sale. I left the person I was responding to decide for them selves.

What you said was gibberish. The courts force sales according to defined criteria. You don't know what the criteria are and decided to invent some. That has no place in a legal discussion.
    When in a hole, stop digging!

What you said was gibberish. The courts force sales according to defined criteria. You don't know what the criteria are and decided to invent some. That has no place in a legal discussion.
    When in a hole, stop digging!

The first thing to be said is that the relief sought by the plaintiff is a discretionary relief.

The Court's power to order a sale is contained in Section 3 of the Partition Act 1868, which states as follows:

"In a suit for partition, where, if this Act had not been passed, a decree of partition might have been made, then if it appears to the Court that, by reason of the nature of the property to which the suit relates, or of the number of the parties interested or presumptively interested therein, or of the absence or disability of some of those parties, or of any other circumstances, a sale of the property and a distribution of the proceeds would be more beneficial for the parties interested than a division of the property between or among them, the Court may, if it thinks fit, on the request of any of the parties interested, and notwithstanding the dissent or disability of any others of them, direct a sale of the property accordingly, and may give all necessary or proper consequential directions."

It is clear from the wording of the section that the Court has a wide discretion in whether it orders a sale of the premises. All relevant circumstances can be taken into account. In addition, when the section states "if it appears to the Court that……… a sale of the property and a distribution of the proceeds would be more beneficial for the parties interested than a division of the property between or among them" , it is not just the applicant who must be considered but all those interested in the property. If authority is needed for this, it is found inDrinkwater v. Ratcliffe (1875) LR 20 Eq 533, and Fleming v. Crouch (1884) WN 111.

In the latter section the Court also has a wide discretion, except that a sale is mandated by the words "the Court shall, unless it sees good reason to the contrary, direct a sale of the property" (my emphasis). The onus of establishing a good reason to the contrary rests on the party opposing the application. In this regard see Pemberton v. Barnes (1871) LR 6 Ch App 685.

From M (B) v. M (A) [2003] IEHC 170

Am I correct in saying partition is a discretionary relief, it seems yes, am I correct that the court can look at dissent and disability, it seems yes, yes the court can order sale not withstanding dissent or disability, but as a discretionary relief the court can refuse partition.

To be clear again I never said the court would grant or not grant relief, I used my example only to show a forced sale application in circumstances that could in my opinion morally wrong. A tale, but for some reason you can't get that. I don't know why.

The first thing to be said is that the relief sought by the plaintiff is a discretionary relief.

The Court's power to order a sale is contained in Section 3 of the Partition Act 1868, which states as follows:

"In a suit for partition, where, if this Act had not been passed, a decree of partition might have been made, then if it appears to the Court that, by reason of the nature of the property to which the suit relates, or of the number of the parties interested or presumptively interested therein, or of the absence or disability of some of those parties, or of any other circumstances, a sale of the property and a distribution of the proceeds would be more beneficial for the parties interested than a division of the property between or among them, the Court may, if it thinks fit, on the request of any of the parties interested, and notwithstanding the dissent or disability of any others of them, direct a sale of the property accordingly, and may give all necessary or proper consequential directions."

It is clear from the wording of the section that the Court has a wide discretion in whether it orders a sale of the premises. All relevant circumstances can be taken into account. In addition, when the section states "if it appears to the Court that……… a sale of the property and a distribution of the proceeds would be more beneficial for the parties interested than a division of the property between or among them" , it is not just the applicant who must be considered but all those interested in the property. If authority is needed for this, it is found inDrinkwater v. Ratcliffe (1875) LR 20 Eq 533, and Fleming v. Crouch (1884) WN 111.

In the latter section the Court also has a wide discretion, except that a sale is mandated by the words "the Court shall, unless it sees good reason to the contrary, direct a sale of the property" (my emphasis). The onus of establishing a good reason to the contrary rests on the party opposing the application. In this regard see Pemberton v. Barnes (1871) LR 6 Ch App 685.

From M (B) v. M (A) [2003] IEHC 170

Am I correct in saying partition is a discretionary relief, it seems yes, am I correct that the court can look at dissent and disability, it seems yes, yes the court can order sale not withstanding dissent or disability, but as a discretionary relief the court can refuse partition.

To be clear again I never said the court would grant or not grant relief, I used my example only to show a forced sale application in circumstances that could in my opinion morally wrong. A tale, but for some reason you can't get that. I don't know why.

First off, the Partition Act 1868 has been repealed. If you are going to do research, you should do it before you post on a topic and also you should be up to date.
    You mentioned factors a court might take into account such as the relative strength of the parties. Has a court ever taken into account such a factor?
    You have yet to cite a case. Your attempts at self justification are pitiful.

Moderator: this member was infracted for this post, in combination with other posts in this thread.

First off, the Partition Act 1868 has been repealed. If you are going to do research, you should do it before you post on a topic and also you should be up to date.
    You mentioned factors a court might take into account such as the relative strength of the parties. Has a court ever taken into account such a factor?
    You have yet to cite a case. Your attempts at self justification are pitiful.

Has the 2009 (I assume it's that act) act changed the discretionary nature of the relief. Again I will say which you can't seem to grasp I never said the court would do A or B. You it seems can not understand what a throw away comment is.

BTW I did not quote any Act, I quoted a case which quoted a Act. Unless the repeal and new section changes the law it remains good law.

Can you post case law to say that my wild (I accept its wild) case would get or not get relief.

Just for clarity as you don't seem to get it, I have not am not nor will not say relief would be granted.

Not quite - FIL is admitted to hospital via ambulance call-out ( key point) ; is then admitted as an emergency so is under " free" care if not VHI is not declared. Family refuse to sign him out without appropriate home care & supports provided . Standard practice nowadays. Home care & supports provided.

Ok I didnt know that. I thought the State would go to lengths to try and recoup the money cost of home or institutional full time care. Such as if the person had any assets or money to their name.

What if your wife becomes ill and is unable to care for her father. Will she eventually be expected to do the heavy lifting that caring for any elderly or incapacitated person entails? Will you stay home from work to help?

I would be asking and assuming that you would retain your own home, and renting it out , and also providing a rental income to the FIL by renting at whatever decided rate .

That would provide some security & legal standing to you and your family , and allowing the father in law and brothers in law the benefit of a solid framework which they could have some security and confidence in. If they agree to ut- and they may not.

As your fil would be resident in the house it should come under the rent a room scheme as it would still be his principle primary residence . This would allow him to collect an income from you ( I think it's 12,000 or 14,000 pa) and this could be used to offset bills /medical costs /other care requirements as his situation evolves. Your wife and ultimately children and you of course would benefit as he would have a fixed regular income to retain the additional services of a part time care provisionorganisation such as bluebird or home stay . You may see the advantages of a big "free" house but the reality may well be that as your FIL's medical & care needs evolve your wife may simply not want or be able to give him the care he needs. She will additionally be minding 3 kids & will want holidays/ weekends away with you and to be able to leave to go shopping/meet friends/ go for a walk/do school runs /be herself etc. The reality that most home carers in Ireland find is that they become overwhelmed with the requirements of their loved one as the situation evolves & cannot wave or walk away as there is no one else to mind the elderly person. The home caters association have been protesting all last year & marched on the Dail last year and every year at budget time to emphasise these issues. They also have a great website listing some of basic difficulties caters face ; your wife should look at this before you make any decision to sell & /or move in.

This could probably offset the concerns of the other siblings and tHEIR wife's who will also no doubt have an eye to their wants & inheritances also.

Tbh I'm not sure how well thought out this is -the focus seems from your thread to be on the asset value of his house - it must be huge if it will allow the owner, you, your wife, and 3 other people to live their comfortably. I can't imagine the rest of the family just allowing you to sell up & move in for the rest of your lives without there being major issues & concerns.

I would also be asking basics like if there will be an additional 5 people living in the house who will pay the additional gas/oil & heat & water bills. Not your FIL? Not to mention all the other logistical costs & issues .

I would also be extremely concerned about the long time cost to your family, home life & most particularly your wife if you close & lock all doors behind you - it sounds fraught with difficult scenarios & legal pitfalls & is a big gamble for the peace & stability of your family.

I can assure you this isnt some kind of play for a free house. My wife does want to care for her father and is quite worried about him. We do on the other hand have to consider the implications for our own family and at the moment, based on weighing up all the options, we cannot move in with her father.

I can assure you this isnt some kind of play for a free house. My wife does want to care for her father and is quite worried about him. We do on the other hand have to consider the implications for our own family and at the moment, based on weighing up all the options, we cannot move in with her father.

And there is the problem, as soon as a bit if "land" is involved, motives are questioned in this country. All your wife wants to do is care for her father and protect her own family. Which is why it's best to sort it out now. I know I'll be accused of saying all sorts of things. But the best bet is to get the family together and agree a long term solution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement