Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposal Advice

Options
  • 03-10-2013 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey,
    First time poster long time reader. I need advice, I think I am nearly sorted but I'm having second thoughts.

My first instinct was to propose on top of a mountain in Ireland, we both like the outdoors and it would link nicely to how we met. It’s not your normal proposal either which I like. I was going to pick the ring myself but having thought about it, I know she would love the experience of going to pick a ring together in secret, and I think it would be fun too.

So I've changed my mind. We are going on holiday to NYC for a week in November. I plan to buy a Claddagh ring as a token ring and propose on Irish soil in NYC at the Irish Hunger Memorial, then go to get the ring over the next few days while in NYC.

http://www.bpcparks.org/bpcp/parks/parks.php#memorial

My question is……Is it a strange place to propose at a memorial remembering the famine? I want the proposal to have a link with home. I've been there before and it’s a lovely quite place in the middle of the city that always reminds me of home.

She would hate the Top of the Rock, Empire State, a packed restaurant or Central Park because of the crowds. My only gripe is that people might think it was a strange place. I don’t care but I want it to be special for her.

Is there anywhere else in Manhattan that is quite, no crowds and scenic that I could do it?

OR……… To throw a spanner in the works, should I go with my first thoughts and propose with the Claddage ring the week before we go to NYC on the top of our local mountain. I’d have to swear her to secrecy until we get a ring in NYC, I’d like her to have the ring when we tell people.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I've been to that memorial, it's a lovely area, might be a bit of an odd one for a proposal though, not sure. Like it wouldn't seem odd to me but "others" always have opinions on things like this :rolleyes:

I really love Central Park, in November will there be big crowds all over it? I loved going out on the lake in a boat, so peaceful and quiet, not November weather friendly though I would say! Isn't there a beautiful band stand or similar looking down onto the lake there? On a quiet chilly November day that would be fab.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

do not worry about what other people think, she will love it and it is all so romantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I have a friend who proposed on top of a local mountain.

Fiancee was totally caught by surprise (but in a good way, and said yes)

Their girls know the mountain as where daddy asked mommy to marry him.

Always thought it was a nice idea.

However at the end of the day, other people's opinions don't really matter.

Which do you think your fiancee would prefer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Daz235

Hey,
    Thanks for the responses,

I think you are all right, it doesn't matter what anyone else things. My girlfriend would probably prefer the proposal in NYC.....less climbing involved:D.

seosamh1980 - thanks for the suggestion I'm going to look into the band stand in Central Park. It sounds like a nice place too.

Only 6 weeks left can't wait.......:D:D

Advertisement