Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Massive jump in DOE test fees- RSA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

Yepeeeeee just got my cert for the van, tested it on Monday got cert today ,very efficient service ,but cert is valid for 4 weeks :eek: how did they work that out ? Have I to go back in in 4 weeks to test it again ? What a joke .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I don't know ill contact tax office tommorow,last doe was nov gone ,but I read some where I should get at least 6 months ,but why not a year if its a whole new system and new test :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

ubs69 wrote: »
    I don't know ill contact tax office tommorow,last doe was nov gone ,but I read some where I should get at least 6 months ,but why not a year if its a whole new system and new test :mad:

I got a year on my disc which I only got a week ago. Ring them and see what they say.

Bpmull wrote: »
    I got a year on my disc which I only got a week ago. Ring them and see what they say.

When did your lat doe expire?

ubs69 wrote: »
    When did your lat doe expire?

It was out about two weeks when I got it done as when I rang I couldn't get an appointment for nearly two weeks. I'd imagine 4 weeks is just a mistake unless your doe was out 11 months or something like that and even at that I assume there is some cut of value on the backing dating so that you get a minimum of a certain amount of months.

I doubt it as my van was regd in February and I got a disc with 10-14 expiry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Its now going by the date of your last test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

The whole thing is set up to stop dodgy test centers passing vehicles that shiuldnt pass...and doing retests where they are not needed.
    the brown envelopes are no more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

The whole thing is set up to stop dodgy test centers passing vehicles that shiuldnt pass...and doing retests where they are not needed. the brown envelopes are no more.

Can you substantiate this statement?

The system is EXACTLY the same as it was before, only the bureaucracy and department are different, some of the former staff are still doing the same job.

My own vehicle passed only this month and it had a brake pad so worn down that it was eating the brake disk. I was told the pads were worn down and I should change them, so I toddled off to my mechanic and one disk was more than half way cut through.

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Can you substantiate this statement?

The system is EXACTLY the same as it was before, only the bureaucracy and department are different, some of the former staff are still doing the same job.

My own vehicle passed only this month and it had a brake pad so worn down that it was eating the brake disk. I was told the pads were worn down and I should change them, so I toddled off to my mechanic and one disk was more than half way cut through.

If it passed on brake performance yhen it passed.
    Your test center is obviously useless or dodgy.
    on equipment tests there is no way for them to cheat the system anymore.
    if the aoftware says it passed then it passed.
    and same for a fail.

If it passed on brake performance yhen it passed.
    Your test center is obviously useless or dodgy.
    on equipment tests there is no way for them to cheat the system anymore.
    if the aoftware says it passed then it passed.
    and same for a fail.

Interesting. So a computer passed my vehicle but a roadside check would have failed it? Seems the whole thing has not been thought through.

Interesting. So a computer passed my vehicle but a roadside check would have failed it? Seems the whole thing has not been thought through.

No....the tester passed the visuals when they shouldn't have.

Yes and no. The cert should be down very fast, in the event that it does not arrive quickly, three days after the test, one may Tax without the physical cert as it will be in the database for the Tax Office to see.

Do you have to wait for the cert in the post before you can get tax?

No, You can now tax online 24 hrs after the test so no more queing in the tax office for yas lads!

• Advertisement

Your pin is the last 6 digits of your chassis no

You could be right, ill check in the morning when i go into the office and see what we have been told

aaakev wrote: »
    No, You can now tax online 24 hrs after the test so no more queing in the tax office for yas lads!

That's better again. Never really understood why a commercial vehicle owner or his agent had to turn up in person. And I know, had in the cert from the DOE and get another from the MTO, but still why?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Does that apply for first time taxing too, as in after you buy a (commercial)vehicle?

• Advertisement

Does that apply for first time taxing too, as in after you buy a (commercial)vehicle?

No because you still need the "goods only" declaration for first time taxing of a new (to you) commercial vehicle

No because you still need the "goods only" declaration for first time taxing of a new (to you) commercial vehicle

That is ridiculous too - but that is another matter.
    Ok thanks.

That is ridiculous too - but that is another matter.
    Ok thanks.

Tell me about it! Anyone can make the declaration with any details ince the reg of the vehicle is correct.....

Did anyone check out cvrt site ? Looks like you have to do 3 tests if your doe is out of date , what a load of bollocks

You could be right, ill check in the morning when i go into the office and see what we have been told

Spoke to the DOE manager in the garage here and he said you do not need a pin, just your reg. If your DOT test is not over one month out of date and there are no arrears owed for road tax you can tax online 24 hrs after the test. we have had feedback from several customers who said the new process is great, one of these customers has over 40 vehicles on the road so that's a huge amount of time saved each year, it could be over a week in total man hours lost for one employee doing the tax office run!

• Advertisement

That is what I gets when I attempt the online taxing.

Dont know what to tell ya Fred... When was your tax out and last doe out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

Tell me about it! Anyone can make the declaration with any details ince the reg of the vehicle is correct.....

Yes but many people would be not inclined to make false declaration and ask Garda to sign it. With goods only declaration that mean no personal use, only to and from home to work. Any other use intended and declaration is false. Some High horses I think upset over uninsured drivers but not against making false decalation for commercial tax, mind boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Scouserfan

visual wrote: »
    The test centres for DOE aren't as high teck as NCT

All equipment in commercial test centres are identical to nct including cameras. Nct is carried out by Spanish company called applus. 45 nct centres, 140 cvrt commercial centres. 8 times more cars on road than commercials. Nct is a monopoly, but too many covet centres in country

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Scouserfan

Despite the numbers of CVRT centres, it still takes weeks to get a test.

We get same and next day appointments at our local centre. Nobber Motors in meath

Despite the numbers of CVRT centres, it still takes weeks to get a test.

Where are you based??! We test about 7,000 vehicles a year and you can normally get a test within 2 or 3 days! Alit of the time we can fit you in next day at a push....

Id say thr has to do with the new tax system too so people who were fusdling the systen or letting vans sit are now doing the test because they have to.... Reckon it will calm down in a few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Setec

Got a test organised for next week in the next town over. My local test centre is nearly a 5 weeks waiting list!

Setec wrote: »
    Got a test organised for next week in the next town over. My local test centre is nearly a 5 weeks waiting list!

I go out of town too, a county centre will fit me in anytime if I don't mind waiting. I can make an appointment in the morning for the same afternoon.

It's been like that for over ten years after a Cork centre 'booked me in' for 9 AM and told me to come back at six that evening, got the test done out of town, same day and I had virtually no waiting time.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballbag05

Where's best place in Cork city area for a doe test, feel like I'm being ripped off in Dennehys Careigtwohill

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballbag05

They all charge the same statutory fees. €111 for the test and €43.50 for a retest.

It's that they always fail it and make me retake it is the ripping off factor

ballbag05 wrote: »
    It's that they always fail it and make me retake it is the ripping off factor

The condition of your vehicle does that

The condition of your vehicle does that

No it may not. One would think that, but some centres have reputations, some fails pass in other centres.

Over time one gets experience and word of mouth will impart wisdom.

No it may not. One would think that, but some centres have reputations, some fails pass in other centres.

Over time one gets experience and word of mouth will impart wisdom.

But a fully working truck will always pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

But a fully working truck will always pass.

Yes but it's obvious there are matters of opinion that can result in pass or fail and like it or not, test centres differ. Locally, one centre is attached to a sales and servicing outlet and they tend to fail very slight wear items to the point where Toyota main dealer passed fit what the tester failed.

Advertisement