Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Credit Card Fraud by Father

• 03-10-2013 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello

My father took out credit cards fraudulently in my name and maxed them out. He confessed two years ago, I was naive and didn't report him hoping he would repay them, I made a payment on them two years ago when he confessed to bring them out of arrears and withing their limits.

I recently rang an ICB report and he never once made a payment, despite saying he would.

My relationship with him and my mother, who is just as involved is over and I need to move on with my life so I've therefore made the very, very hard decision to report them. I can't afford a solicitor so would appreciate some help with wording the letter.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Sounds like you could contact the Garda national bureau of fraud investigation, harcourt square, dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

Legalhelp wrote: »
    Hello

My father took out credit cards fraudulently in my name and maxed them out. He confessed two years ago, I was naive and didn't report him hoping he would repay them, I made a payment on them two years ago when he confessed to bring them out of arrears and withing their limits.

I recently rang an ICB report and he never once made a payment, despite saying he would.

My relationship with him and my mother, who is just as involved is over and I need to move on with my life so I've therefore made the very, very hard decision to report them. I can't afford a solicitor so would appreciate some help with wording the letter.

Thank you in advance.

No solicitor required, you go to the Gardai and report them for fraud, the state will take care of the prosecution as fraud is a criminal offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

T&Cs of your CC may have required you to dispute charges within a given period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If I were you, I would speak with a solicitor prior to approaching the Gardai; while you are entirely blameless for them applying for and using the cards, you will want to ensure that your knowledge over the past 2 years plus the payment you made does not cause you any issues relating to the fraud investigation nor in denying liability for the debt. If you had reported immediately on discovering the position, no advice would be needed. Given the time and your action in part paying the debt, I think you should seek advice and approach the Gardai and the card company with a solicitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Bepolite wrote: »
    T&Cs of your CC may have required you to dispute charges within a given period.

Maybe, if there was a valid contract with the credit card company. He says that he did not contract with the credit card company.

• Advertisement

Legalhelp wrote: »
    I can't afford a solicitor so would appreciate some help with wording the letter.

The Legal Aid Board offers legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Legalhelp

Thank you all. I will contact the legal aid board. I should have reported him sooner but it is hard as I will lose all my family as they are standing by him. I was hoping he would report himself.

Unfortunately this is the tip of the iceberg of the things he has done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

The Legal Aid Board offers legal advice.

The Legal Aid Board still charges and the waiting lists are very long. Try FLAC (free legal advice centre)

Sala wrote: »
    The Legal Aid Board still charges and the waiting lists are very long. Try FLAC (free legal advice centre)

Legal Aid Board charges are almost nominal compared to what is charged by private solicitors. Some Law Centres have waiting lists of weeks and others have waiting lists which are months long.

For people who are not in a position to pay for private legal advice, the Legal Aid Board is the best alternative. That's just my opinion, of course.

Perhaps this could be sorted out by a visit to FLAC, but I have doubts about that. It won't cost anything to find out, I suppose.

Advertisement