Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour Issue - Clapped out banger landed on front garden

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Solution: Early xmas present for neighbour
    0084487500240_500X500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Stheno wrote: »
    Has anyone a link to these planning laws stating that only two cars can be parked in a driveway?

There are three parked in both mine and my neighbours house pretty much permanently, sometimes four next door.

I would have thought it unlikely that there would be a hard and fast rule regarding the number of vehicles that can be parked out front of a house (as in, surely it would vary depending on the area/estate), but others seem better versed in the matter than I am so perhaps one of them could quote the relevant legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

camphor wrote: »
    No it doesn't. He already has two spaces. he is creating a third which is not allowed.

Thats not what you said though; you are making the assumption that the neighbour has two cars parked outside because there are two spaces. Im not arguing that they might not be allowed to park a third car out front, or that they might be asked to move the car from the grass to one of the actual spaces, but thats as much as this avenue is likely to achieve. Even if the neighbour has three cars then chances are they will just park one outside the garden.
    That fact that the council won't jump immediately or at any time doesn't mean the law is not being broken and the o/p doesn't have a remedy. Councils routinely ignore minor and trivial breaches of the planning code unless someone complains. The o/p has a legitimate complain based on planning, that is the point and always has been.

Fair enough; as I said above if there is a planning issue then the neighbour can sort it fairly easily and the best it will achieve is to get the car moved off the grass. I suspect that the OP is as much concerned about the "eye sore" as where they have it parked however, and they are free to complain about it if they wish, but it remains to be seen whether or not the council would agree with them and move to act, especially if the neighbour can make a convincing argument that they plan to have the car sorted and roadworthy in a timely fashion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭camphor

Has anyone a link to these planning laws stating that only two cars can be parked in a driveway?

There are three parked in both mine and my neighbours house pretty much permanently, sometimes four next door.

No one said there is any such law. the issue is about the development of parking spaces. planning permission is needed to develop more than 2 parking spaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

No one said there is any such law. the issue is about the development of parking spaces. planning permission is needed to develop more than 2 parking spaces.

1000s of home owners cobble their garden sometimes for extra parking other times for easy of maintance without needing planning permission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

visual wrote: »
    1000s of home owners cobble their garden sometimes for extra parking other times for easy of maintance without needing planning permission.

Thats fine if they put two cars on it, when they put three then planning is needed is what people are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

visual wrote: »

People change their gardens into drive way all the time and do so illegally without applying for planning permission.

All it takes is a complaint to be made or when the person tries to sell that it is a problem.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    People change their gardens into drive way all the time and do so illegally without applying for planning permission.

All it takes is a complaint to be made or when the person tries to sell that it is a problem.

Out of sheer nosiness I looked this up on citizens information.
    Parking for two cars is exempt from planning, and then it's on a local authority basis whether or not you need it for more than 3 cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Out of sheer nosiness I looked this up on citizens information.
    Parking for two cars is exempt from planning, and then it's on a local authority basis whether or not you need it for more than 3 cars.

You cannot make a driveway in Dublin city council without planning permission unless they changed this very recently. To even enlarge your driveway by a foot requires planning.

Planning is local so different in each council I didn't think citizens advice give this information

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭SeanSouth

Just remembered why I bought a house on three acres, lol
    Good grief, does this kind of stuff still go on.

Had a neighbour once. We called him Mr Concrete. First thing he did when he moved in was dig up the front garden and replace it with concrete, then he did the same with the back garden. Then he built the most awful "shed" out of concrete and then he started building walls everywhere out of concrete.........
    By the time he had gotten that far, the place looked like a ghetto but himself was delighted with it That's when we left. Cant stand people who dont have some basic consideration for others. Better off having plenty of space around you for parking and where there is no possibility for anyone to cause this type of grief.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

wgk wrote: »
    Hi

Have an issue with a neighbour. We bought the property at the start of the year and had our eyes wide open going into this.

Development is lovely (detached dormer bungalows built in early 90's). Each house has a driveway for two cars which is bordered by a square plot of grass to the right (there are no boundary walls between gardens).

My immediate next door neighbour's house is fairly shabby to say the least (look it helped at the time when it came to negotiating on the property) but we were willing to overlook that.

However after 9 months of quiet enjoyment of the property, my neighbour has, overnight, laid plastic sheeting on the front garden and plonked a clapped out banger on the grass, i.e. not on the driveway but on the front garden in front of his sitting room window.

This is very unsightly, the car doesn't look roadworthy, there are no insurance or tax discs and I would go far as to say it is an environmental hazard (the petrol cap is gone and has been replaced by a rag cloth stuck into the hole).

As I said the development is lovely, the neighbours are nice, the place is very well kept with the exception of this one property. I was willing to shut up and put up to an extent but this looks ridiculous when you are driving down the avenue.

Any advice, recourse, suggestions?
    aw now, now, he did put down plastic sheeting ;)give the guy some credit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The reason why it is there is to avoid having to have tax discs etc, no point in complaining about the lack of these.

Perhaps this may provide info
    http://www.dublincity.ie/Planning/PlanningApplication/Documents/ParkingCarsinFrontGardensAdvisoryBooklet.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Interestingly you mentioned that the development is Open Plan aspect, houses are uniform in colour.

It would be interesting to heck out the local by-laws in relation to the area.

Perhaps there is a Management Company or Residents Committee who may be able to give you advice on the parking regulations etc. Why not raise the matter with them and let them take up the issue with the individual in question , therefore keeping individuals out of it.

There is always one gob****e who can make a place look untidy. He must be weird to have a Daewoo as his prize car now destroying his lawn. The potential problem is he may start stripping down the car for parts which could become very unsightly altogether. I am sure the Council would not permit him to do so.

If it were a Classic Aston Martin, and the guy was a car enthusiast ,it may not look so bad . In this case it is nothing more than piece of scrap.

Do you know the neighbours on either side of Daewoo Man's house? Any feedback from them?

Tread warily, you don't wish to find yourself isolated either, therefore I suggest not approaching him directly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Interestingly you mentioned that the development is Open Plan aspect, houses are uniform in colour.

It would be interesting to check out the local by-laws in relation to the area.

Perhaps there is a Management Company or Residents Committee who may be able to give you advice on the parking regulations etc. Why not raise the matter with them and let them take up the issue with the individual in question , therefore keeping individuals out of it.

There is always one gob****e who can make a place look untidy. He must be weird to have a Daewoo as his prize car now destroying his lawn. The potential problem is he may start stripping down the car for parts which could become very unsightly altogether. I am sure the Council would not permit him to do so.

If it were a Classic Aston Martin, and the guy was a car enthusiast ,it may not look so bad . In this case it is nothing more than piece of scrap.

Do you know the neighbours on either side of Daewoo Man's house? Any feedback from them?

Tread warily, you don't wish to find yourself isolated either, therefore I suggest not approaching him directly
    :)

Advertisement