Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I'm going to Buy a DE Safety Razor

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MojoRising

I see a lot of gilette fat boys online ? really need some advice here on which adjustable as all new to me, appreciate all the help

also found this one on line, year i was born :) what do you think? 1966 Gillette SLIM Adjustable Safety Razor L-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

If you are going to get an adjustable I would say go for a new one. While the Gillette Fatboy is an adjustable, it was made in the late 50's and early 60's so there has been plenty of time for them to pick up problems such as the adjustments getting stuck and the head geometry getting messed up by someone not storing it in a good manner and parts get bent. This is more a warning of buying one on eBay than if you use one of the shaving forums.

Also buying a Fat Bot on eBay you are unlikely to get great value. The cost of them has pretty much doubled in the last 12 -18 months. I always thought the Slim was the better razor anyway, but that's personal preference.

If you can get that Slim for that price, you will have done well. It will probably go towards the $50 mark though.

That's all just my opinion...

thanks for that really do appreciate the help and advice, you think i should try for the slim? really lost here, if i was to buy a new adjustable I take it it would be mad money? thanks Jon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭jpb1974

The Merkur Progress is a modern adjustable that people rate very highly.

Merkur Futur would be another very good 'un.

• Advertisement

Merkur Progress is €54 on Shaving.ie. The Futur is €67 and has an interesting look to it.

Here is the link to the adjustable DE razors on Shaving.ie: http://www.shaving.ie/adjustable-safety-razors/

I would say send the seller a message and see if he will ship to Ireland. If he does keep an eye on it or put in an offer you are willing to go to.

thanks a million, for that he said he could post for $15 which sound ok, what you think? does it mean you can only use gilette blades in it? a newbie so forgive my ignorance yet again !!

I could get it with postage for $65 , what do you think? or am I better to go for new? also can you only use Gillette blades in it? thanks again Jon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭Raoul

jpb1974 wrote: »
    The Merkur Progress is a modern adjustable that people rate very highly.

Merkur Futur would be another very good 'un.

I have the merkur progress. It's great. Been shaving with it for three years I think. No complaints

MojoRising wrote: »
    I could get it with postage for $65 , what do you think? or am I better to go for new? also can you only use Gillette blades in it? thanks again Jon

If you can get it for $65 including postage, I reckon you will have got a pretty decent deal. Once it works as described in the listing it will work just as well as a new adjustable.

It will take any blade designed to be used in a double edge safety razor - gillette do happen to make a large number of blades.

Once you get a razor make sure you get a sample pack of razor blades. There is quite a difference between different brands of razor blades so try as many as you can until you find the one you like.

If you want, PM me the link to the razor. I'm pretty sure I found the one you are on about so my advice is based on the one I found.

• Advertisement

thanks I'll pm it on to you and also take your advice on sample pack of blades, must get a brush next and cream? thank a mill for all the help, Jon

is that the one you were looking at too? thanks jon

It wasn't. I sent you the link to the one I was looking at.

After the razor and blades, a brush and cream or soap would be worth the investment. I'd say go for a badger brush and a cream as it will be easier to get used to than a hard soap.

thanks mate

No worries Jon, happy to help!

Advertisement