Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What weight were your babies

• 03-10-2013 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what weight the babies were when they were born.Do you think your own /partners birthweight had anything to do with your own kids.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My baby was 3.35kg. No, I don't think it has anything to do with my birth weight or my husbands. My siblings are all different birth weights to me.

Why do you ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

First boy approx 7-10 days early 7lb 7oz
    Then girl on due date 7lb 14oz

We are both approx 5ft 9 or 10 in height
    Both babies were long and are among the tallest in their age groups of the kids I know

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Glinda

Yes, definitely think so - I was 6lb 12oz, at birth, fairly petite having my own kids and had two babies who were 10lbs and 8.5 lbs (three and a half weeks early- would have been around 11lbs at term!).

Mother in law told me later (!) my husband was the lightest of her five babies at 9lbs 10oz - and she's tiny. That's a huge weight for babies in the late sixties!

Docs spent the whole time I was pregnant testing me for gestational diabetes, found it almost impossible to believe someone my size would produce babies that large without being diabetic. Seems it was just genetics though! (both kids perfectly normal sizes now).

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

My first and only boy weighed in at 8lb 11oz.(5 days overdue but right on time due to my calculations)
    I was 7lb something when i was born, I was only 7stone in weight when i
    conceived him, it wasnt expected my baby would be any bigger than 6/7 lbs mark, it was a surprise when he was born.

But i do think it comes from my partners side, his sisters all had big first babies too, he will be tall like partners side too, of course genetics must play a part, mind you I had a ferocious appetite whilst pregnant, put on 4 stone weight in the 9 months.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

7lb 4 @38 weeks, 7lb 8 @38 weeks (girls) 8lb 4 @41 weeks boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

My daughter was 3.56kg (7lb 13oz I think) born at 39 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭slarkin123

My daughter was 7lb 7oz at 39 weeks
    Son number 1 was 7lb 9oz at 42 weeks
    Son number 2 was 6lb 6oz at 38 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Was just wondering
    1st son was 8lb 12
    2nd son was 8lb 10
    3rd son was 9lb 2
    4th son was 9lb 13
    5th son was 8lb 12

Iwas 3lb born and my partner was 10lb

*mod note*
    Please do not use ds or dd here as people do not know what it means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

My daughter was 7lbs 14oz at 40+6, I was 6lb something, not sure what my partner was.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

My son was 2lb 8ozs @ 28 weeks.. almost 11 now and average height for his age

• Advertisement

dubstarr wrote: »
    Was just wondering
    ds1 was 8lb 12
    ds 2 was 8lb 10
    ds3 was 9lb 2
    ds4 was 9lb 13
    ds5 was 8lb 12

Iwas 3lb born and dp was 10lb

*mod note*
    Please do not use ds or dd here as people do not know what it means.

Sorry wont use it again

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

760g at 28 wks - Just turned corrected age 1 and is awesome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

First (girl) - 6lbs at 40 weeks exactly
    Second (girl) - 6lbs 13oz at 40+1
    Third (girl) - 6lbs 15oz apparently born at 37 weeks but not exactly sure of dates.

Both my partner and myself were small babies, I was 5lbs 5oz and he was 6lbs. We're both quite short now but not exactly skinny.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

760g at 28 wks - Just turned corrected age 1 and is awesome :)

Wow that's tiny! Must have been like a little doll! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I was the biggest of my siblings at 7lb 10. OH was 2nd biggest at 8 or 9 something
    Our daughter born at 41 weeks was 6lb 10.
    Im very small though height wise and so is OH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I was 6 something, OH was 10 something, son was 8lb born 9 days over.

Both he & his dad struggle to put weight on now, he 23lbs @ 18 months, me not so much ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Mine was 3.66Kg (8lbs 1 oz). This is the exact weight I was when I was born and I did read the mother's birth weight has a bit to do with it. Both myself and my husband would be on the smaller side.

I had hyperemesis when pregnant and lost a huge amount of weight. At the end I was all baby (people thought I was only about 6 months pregnant the week before I went into labour) and the midwives estimated he'd be the top end of 6 pounds. He was 1 week early. It just goes to show no matter how sick you are the baby really does take everything it needs from you! My mum was just as sick as I was and carried the same so I was very similar to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

Dessie Curley: [at a pub, after Sharon's delivery] 7 pounds 12 ounces.
    Loner: Is that a baby, or a turkey?
    Dessie Curley: A baby!
    Loner: That's a good-sized baby.
    Dessie Curley: Right.
    Loner: Small turkey, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

No 1 - 6lbs 8 ozs @ 36 weeks
    No 2 - 6lbs 11 ozs @ 39 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

6lbs 12oz @39+5

at birth he was at the 25th percentile, by 6 weeks he was the 50th!!

I was 6lbs 6oz @39 weeks and am now 5 10", my mother's other two babies were 6lbs 12oz and 5lbs (my little sister @ 40+4)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

Me: 5lbs 6 (I think) at 34 weeks (3rd baby)

My first : 4lbs 12 at 34 weeks
    My 2nd: 7 lbs 11 at 38 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I was around 7lb 8 when I was born.
    My son was 11lb 12oz. Though I was induced plus section so his birth weight was quite inflated.

There have been a few studies showing mothers birth weights can be predicative of their daughters birth weights but there's no link for males.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

liliq wrote: »
    I was around 7lb 8 when I was born.
    My son was 11lb 12oz. Though I was induced plus section so his birth weight was quite inflated.

There have been a few studies showing mothers birth weights can be predicative of their daughters birth weights but there's no link for males.

Just curious- when you say 'inflated' what do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

I was 6lb something, my daughter was 6'3 at 37/5 weeks, I'm a complete short arse, 5ft nothing! Not sure what weight exactly her dad was, 8 something I think!

m'lady wrote: »
    Just curious- when you say 'inflated' what do you mean?

Epidurals, the fluids that are used alongside them to keep blood pressure from dropping, IV antibiotics etc. cause a lot of fluid retention in the baby, and can increase their birth weight.
    A lot of hospitals weigh babies that haven't been born naturally 24 hours after birth for a more accurate weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

liliq wrote: »
    Epidurals, the fluids that are used alongside them to keep blood pressure from dropping, IV antibiotics etc. cause a lot of fluid retention in the baby, and can increase their birth weight.
    A lot of hospitals weigh babies that haven't been born naturally 24 hours after birth for a more accurate weight.

Never heard this. My two were sections and their weights were fine.

My last was like this i had gd and i was pumped full of fluids.Thats why i think he lost more than his 10% birth weiight.I dont think he was 8 lb 12 to begin wiht

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

teggers5 wrote: »
    Wow that's tiny! Must have been like a little doll! :)

Yes, but it wasn't his fault. I ppromed (premature preterm membrane rupture) so he didn't have much room left to do any growing.

He is a monster now. We came back from holidays last Saturday and non of his 12 mo clothes fit him any more. He ate his own weight in Spanish omeletts. He couldn't get enough of the stuff. If there is a famine in Spain this winter you can be sure my son was the cause :)

Never heard this. My two were sections and their weights were fine.

Example of one of the studies:
    http://m.pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/127/1/e171.abstract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Boy (1st) 3.33kg 5 days overdue
    Girl (2nd) 3.08kg 4 days early.

Advertisement