Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philadelphia cheesecake recipe help

Options
  • 03-10-2013 2:46pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have the cheesecake recipe that's on the back of blocks of Philadelphia?

When I was a kid, I used to make that all the time. I made lemon ones and strawberry ones. I remember you'd use a packet of jelly and it wasn't a very difficult or complicated recipe. I'm pretty sure this was the recipe I used for the lemon one. But I definitely also made a strawberry one using strawberry jelly and tinned strawberries in the cheesecake mix. There's this recipe on the website, but that seems more complicated than how I would have made it as a fairly young child. Can anyone help me adapt the lemon cheesecake recipe to be strawberry? Should I just replace the lemon rind and juice with strawberries? I'd surely need to reduce the volume of liquid somewhere else though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

This is the recipe I have used before and it comes out fine. Im more into baked cheesecakes at the moment.

!pkt digestive biscuits, 6oz butter, 1/2lb philadelphia, 1pkt jelly, 1/4pt boiling water, 1 large carton of cream, 2oz icing sugar.

I am presuming you have the jist of making cheesecake. So the base is melt the butter, batter the biscuits and combine together and put into greased cheesecake tin. Pour the boiling water into the jelly and disolve and leave to cool. Mix the sugar in a bowl with cream cheese. Whip cream. When cream is whipped , mix sugar and cheese mixture into it and then pour jelly in and mix well. Pour mixture on to base and leave in fridge to cool et voila.

Obviously no tinned strawberries in this one. What I would suggest is using fresh strawberries if possible and folding them gently into the mix or you could heat the juice of the tinned ones and use that as the liquid to disolve the jelly rather than using the boiling water.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Madiller29

rotten cheesecake im sorry, make it the right way

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Madiller29 wrote: »

Can you offer a recipe then? That's a pretty pointless and rude post otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Madiller29

yes I can,

300g of cream cheese
    200g of fruit puree
    450g of semi whipped cream
    4 leaves of gelatine
    1 large or 2 small eggs
    100g caster sugar
    50ml water
    50ml cream to dissolve gelatine

1.firstly you boil your sugar with your water to 121'C and pour it into your whipping egg(s) until cool( this makes your sabayon)
    2. Semi whip cream as this is going on
    3. cream cheese until smooth and beat in puree
    4. then beat in egg/sugar mix
    5 warm remaining cream and add soaked gelatine and then beat in to mix
    6. Fold in semi-whipped cream

Note: Make the base how you prefer ( I like to mix my butter and bicuit , press into base and cook at 180'c for ten minutes, then cool before use)
    Also this recipe is perfect for freezing the cheesecake as the sabayon stabilises the cream cheese mix
    Also always soak gelatine in cold water before dissolving in a hot liquid.

Happy baking ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭simonsays1

wow,
    Harsh!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Rude and totally uncalled for. Would it have hurt to just be nice to the poster, and then offer your recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,356 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Personally, I find that no binding agent (gelatine or egg) is necessary so long as you whip double cream, slacken out the Philadelphia and refrigerate. I make lemon cheesecakes, raspberry/white choc etc and find the fewer ingredients the better.

Advertisement