Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need bank statements going back 7 years? Bank or Data Protection request

Options
  • 03-10-2013 2:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Lady in the bank said it will cost me 160 euro to get this

would i be better going down the data comission route?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Data Protection requests don't nessecarily include statements. You may get a big paper dump of data which might contain the information that may appear on the statements, but you won't receive copies of your statements per se. Therefore if you need actual copies, and haven't kept them you'll need to pay for the copies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

It would be only 30 odd pages im very annoyed at the price the bank want

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Then you should have kept them.

Its not as easy as hitting print. Call your branch manager and ask can they reduce the fee.

Yep i agree but over moves and stuff im down a few
    All i really need is cheque lodegments but the bank not very helpful i will prob get them and leave them

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You make it sound like someone just needs to press a button and they can retrieve your data.

If some or all of the data is 7 years old, it's most likely now on a magnetic tape in an archive warehouse so the bank will have to pay the warehouse company a charge to get one of their employees to retrieve the tape and deliver it to the bank's IT centre. Then someone in the IT department will have to run a job to extract your data from the millions of statements on that tape, then the tape will have to be sent back to the archive warehouse.

All of which costs money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Who do you write to in the bank to get an foi request processed?

Don't expect it to be done in second but im sure its not that hard either in this day and age,I will ask in the bank can they do any better on price

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Data Protection requests don't nessecarily include statements.
    Think that you may possibly be wrong there...If the customer requests all information including all PDF's and any other electronic format held on record, the customer would get copy's of their statements. However speaking from experience it could take 3 or 4 months to get exactly what you are looking for as companies tend to drag their heels when it comes to Data Protection requests for information
    If some or all of the data is 7 years old, it's most likely now on a magnetic
    tape in an archive warehouse
    Ah we have moved on from those days;)

Where I work (its not a bank but is F.S.), if a person asks for a statement from 2005 it would take me 30 seconds to upload their statements and it would only take 2 minutes to print off all their statements from 2005 to date.

Its disgraceful that a bank should charge its customers such an fee, it next to extortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I went into an AIB branch last year to get copies of my statements. After waiting to see a manager for 45 minutes I was told it would be 2 Euro a page. Disgusted.

All I need is cheque lodgements or even lodgements id say no more than 30 in that time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Kennie1 wrote: »
    Think that you may possibly be wrong there...If the customer requests all information including all PDF's and any other electronic format held on record, the customer would get copy's of their statements. However speaking from experience it could take 3 or 4 months to get exactly what you are looking for as companies tend to drag their heels when it comes to Data Protection requests for information

Ah we have moved on from those days;)

Where I work (its not a bank but is F.S.), if a person asks for a statement from 2005 it would take me 30 seconds to upload their statements and it would only take 2 minutes to print off all their statements from 2005 to date.

Its disgraceful that a bank should charge its customers such an fee, it next to extortion.
    and the technology and skills to do that cost no one anything......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Why you can't beat one of these guys

479882_02_ci_sc7?$splssku$

At the end of the day, they send you "free" copies. It is up to folks to retain them just in case.

OP: You can of course move banks, but to be honest, they all have similar charges for exactly this service.

Yes I agree but sometimes you lose some things in the course of life

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭fibix

True story, I needed something from 2009, costed me around e2,5 per page. This is why I download my e-statement pdfs now religiously.

Advertisement