Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in coincidence?

Options
  • 03-10-2013 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I've had an Eircom Netopia router for 6 years now. I've considered leaving Eircom several times but lately the promise of eFibre kept me on the hook. I was naively expecting that because for about the last year Eircom has promised Ashbourne would have eFibre between July and September 2013 that this meant Ashbourne would have eFibre between July and September 2013. Naturally on Sept 30th this was changed to November 2013.

Anyway I digress ... I still have Eircom DSL, allegedly the 24Mb package, from which I get about 7Mb.

Last night (Oct 2) there was a national failure of DSL which included mine. Apparently at some time during the night this was rectified and from other posts on boards.ie people's DSL started working again. Not mine! This morning I ran more tests; connected to the phone point by the door; single laptop connected by ethernet cable; etc. I got a solid DSL light and no negotiation of an IP connection - red Internet light. Remote test by broadband CSR showed NO line problems and successful DSL connection. I switched back to bridge mode on the Netopia and connected from my Router/Firewall device - in the manner that I have been connected for the past 5 years; no joy.

Eircom's answer to two devices not connecting is that the Netopia needs to be replaced as "these things go bad." Keep in mind that the Netopia reports a good DSL connection, it's the PPPoE that's failing to negotiate an IP address. This of course means waiting, without broadband, until the new box shows up.

Why would a national DSL outage suddenly cause my Netopia to stop working?
    Was there perhaps an "infrastructure upgrade" that caused older routers no longer to work?
    Has anyone else had this problem since last night?
    Or is it all coincidence?

Thanks,

Gareth.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

gobrien wrote: »
    I've had an Eircom Netopia router for 6 years now. I've considered leaving Eircom several times but lately the promise of eFibre kept me on the hook. I was naively expecting that because for about the last year Eircom has promised Ashbourne would have eFibre between July and September 2013 that this meant Ashbourne would have eFibre between July and September 2013. Naturally on Sept 30th this was changed to November 2013.

Anyway I digress ... I still have Eircom DSL, allegedly the 24Mb package, from which I get about 7Mb.

Last night (Oct 2) there was a national failure of DSL which included mine. Apparently at some time during the night this was rectified and from other posts on boards.ie people's DSL started working again. Not mine! This morning I ran more tests; connected to the phone point by the door; single laptop connected by ethernet cable; etc. I got a solid DSL light and no negotiation of an IP connection - red Internet light. Remote test by broadband CSR showed NO line problems and successful DSL connection. I switched back to bridge mode on the Netopia and connected from my Router/Firewall device - in the manner that I have been connected for the past 5 years; no joy.

Eircom's answer to two devices not connecting is that the Netopia needs to be replaced as "these things go bad." Keep in mind that the Netopia reports a good DSL connection, it's the PPPoE that's failing to negotiate an IP address. This of course means waiting, without broadband, until the new box shows up.

Was there perhaps an "infrastructure upgrade" that caused older routers no longer to work?

Thanks,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth,

I'm afraid the map is for illustrative purposes only and we can't guarantee the dates on it. There are many factors in which can affect the lead times on the upgrade to Fibre. It's a nationwide rollout so will take time to get all eligible customers enabled unfortunately.

I wouldn't be aware of why the modem has stopped working from my channel here I'm afraid, I can advise that Eircom do not support bridging as a service however.

The issue with fixed broadband service yesterday evening was a nationwide fault and not an infrastructure upgrade, the issue has been resolved now.

The only channel that can may be able to help you is the support channel on 1890 260 260 (option 0)

Sorry I can't help you any further.

Thanks

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

gobrien wrote: »

Thanks,

Gareth.

Mine came back online last night with no issues . I live in Baldara Court , Ashbourne , so not sure why you had issues . I pm'ed an eircom rep today & they said fibre will be going live in Ashbourne 30th October . Will prob upgrade in late November just to avoid any initial teething problems with installation in the area . Hope it works out for you !

• Registered Users Posts: 24 [DVDF]Merlin

Similar issue here Broadband has gone about 4 or 5 times in the last 9 days or so (always pretty reliable for years). Red internet light on the nettopia solid dsl light /flashing etc. Router page indicates dsl unavailable. This normally happens during the day and becomes reliable after 6 pm or thereabouts.Have connected the modem to main line(pain in the arse) with splitter removed as per instruction from support, and get nothing or occasionally solid dsl light and red internet light. Getting pretty annoyed to be honest.I've had no issues now for a few years as said earlier always somewhat reliable for the past few years. I cant help wondering if the forthcoming roll out of this e-fibre has something to do with it re upgrading the local exchange (tuam co galway)? 

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gobrien

Hey Merlin,

My Netopia started doing exactly what you describe the day after my previous post. "Tech support" sent me a new Eircom-branded Zyxel D1000 router (possibly the VDSL router that will be used for "eFibre"??). The new one is working perfectly, although bridging was a pain in the but-tocks to get working. Yes Eircom, bridging is not supported ... I know. I suppose it is possible that the Netopia just happened to break at exactly the moment Eircom had a national outage ... but Ockham might nick himself on that razor!

Just in case anyone is trying to bridge, the key was to go into each area: NAT, Firewall, etc. and turn everything off. Only then select bridging mode. Of course bridging should completely ignore all those features but it started working properly as soon as I disabled the firewall and NAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

[QUOTE=[DVDF]Merlin;86984456]Similar issue here Broadband has gone about 4 or 5 times in the last 9 days or so (always pretty reliable for years). Red internet light on the nettopia solid dsl light /flashing etc. Router page indicates dsl unavailable. This normally happens during the day and becomes reliable after 6 pm or thereabouts.Have connected the modem to main line(pain in the arse) with splitter removed as per instruction from support, and get nothing or occasionally solid dsl light and red internet light. Getting pretty annoyed to be honest.I've had no issues now for a few years as said earlier always somewhat reliable for the past few years. I cant help wondering if the forthcoming roll out of this e-fibre has something to do with it re upgrading the local exchange (tuam co galway)? [/QUOTE]

Hi [DVDF]Merlin

Did you contact technical support -  1890 260 260 over the weekend? Or if you would like to PM me with the details I can test the line and broadband connection to confirm if it is a modem issue.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
Advertisement