Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Full Time FE1 study versus JobBridge

• 03-10-2013 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

What are people's thoughts on doing full time study for the Fe1s versus taking on a job Bridge position in a solicitors office?
    I was on a job Bridge scheme before but I quit because I thought it would be more valuable to commit to full time study for the FE1s. I don't think its realistic to take on a full time position as an intern and balance that with fe1 study and the so called experience you get from it. Besides that, the money earned on job Bridge is a disgrace. I was expected to live on 80 euro a week after rent and expenses which isn't realistic when you factor in paying for things such as exams, materials and basics like clothes. At least if I was studying for the FE1s full time I could work the weekends and still take home what you would get on job bridge after a 40-45 hour week. To make the minimum wage on job bridge you are expected to work a full day Saturday inclusive of the full weeks work you have already done which isn't fair considering a lot of students had to work hard to get where they are. Besides that its difficult not to feel that the government are using you to prevent businesses from going under.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭chopser

Many people have worked full time and done the Fe-1s including me.

If you do not have an apprenticeship lined up then you should take the jobbridge scheme in the Solicitors office if there is even a tiny chance they will offer you a trainee ship. Even if they don't you will look more appealing to other Firms.

I got lucky with my traineeship but from what I gather getting one can make the Fe-1s look like childplays so if I were you I would try to balance work and study. It is very do able and I still had a good social life. Just not in the immediate month before exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

To make the minimum wage on job bridge you are expected to work a full day Saturday inclusive of the full weeks work you have already done which isn't fair considering a lot of students had to work hard to get where they are.
    That sounds unpleasant. I know that it's a tight job market and all, but this sounds a bit like slave labour to me. You'll have to weigh it up for yourself, regarding what future prospects might be like, but I would have doubts about these people.

For instance, will these people offer you a traineeship? Do you even want to work for them in the future? Will you be able to get better training from more reasonable employers elsewhere?

I don't know of many trainees who were required to work Saturdays on a regular basis.
    At least if I was studying for the FE1s full time I could work the weekends and still take home what you would get on job bridge after a 40-45 hour week.
    I would say that you could compare that situation to your prospects of getting your traineeship elsewhere. Also, as you pointed out, you'd have a lot more free time to prepare for your FE-1s.

I'm a bit out of the loop as regards the ease or difficulty of getting positions as trainee solicitors these days, but maybe there are some trainee solicitors on this forum who could be of more assistance.

You have my two cents anyway.

Advertisement