Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activating card in Australia

Options
  • 03-10-2013 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

In October last year I received my new Visa Debit card, to replace my Laser card.
    As I live in Australia, pleas advise as to how I can activate and use this card?
    My account was opened at Rathmines BOI in April/May 2006.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi KPeirce, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to Boards.

A card can be activated at Chip and PIN ATM's abroad however it needs to be activated within 6 months of the issue date. 

In this instance, you will need to call your branch and apply for a new card. 
    A full list of branch contact numbers can be found here

I hope this helps. 

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KPeirce

Not really Billy. Australia doesn't have "chip and pin" atms. We have ATMs. There is nothing to distinguish one from another except for the financial institution it belongs to.
    I tried inserting into an ATM after a lengthy discussion with a BOI employee when I first received the card and my transaction was declined.
    So, it would be helpful if BOI could please provide a list of locations of suitable ATMs in Perth, Western Australia please. That way I could at least try activating it before going through the hassle of an international phone call, explaining my situation, trying to prove my ID over the phone and waiting weeks for the card to be reissued (probably at a cost to me).
    Thanks in anticipation of your reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi KPeirce,

We have just investigated this query further, you should be able to activate your current Visa Debit card abroad using your previous 4 digit PIN for your old Laser card. 

We have received a similar query recently, on activating a card abroad, on another thread.

If this information does not enable you to activate your card, you will need to contact your branch and request a replacement. Alternatively you could use the Request Replacement Card option available in Online Service Desk when logged onto 365Online.

Thanks
    Tara

Advertisement