Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More daft cycle lanes

Options
  • 03-10-2013 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I see even more cycle lanes have appeared on Pearse road between Markievicz Park and the Retail park, have the council learned nothing from the shambles that is Cemetery Road, where do they expect anyone attending a match in Markievicz park or a funeral in the cemetery to park their cars? All Pearse road from the retail park to Mail Coach road have cycle lanes on both sides along with Cemetary Road and Cleveragh Road, I suspect the the Mail coach road to the Garda Station will be next. it's about time the person in the Borough council coming up with these plans was fired!

On another rant about councils, this time the county council wasting money on print and postage by sending me out a reminder about renewing my dog licence two months after I did it, while they are millions in the red!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I noticed these new ones the other day. Whilst the lanes on pearse rd might be of some use, the ones on cemetry rd are a total waste of time, and only lead to confusion, have taken possible spaces away from people visiting the Cemetry, and their layout have possibly made it even more dangerous for cyclists.

Also need to send the traffic warden up there to start giving out tickets. Cars are not suppose to park or enter lanes with a solid white in any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I couldn't agree more with you.
    Pearse Rd is a total mess now and I hate using it...but have no option! And as for Cemetery Road....that is laughable. In some parts the cycle lane seems to be wider than the car lane.
    Also they made a hash of the turn from Pearse Road onto MCR. It's far too sharp. I've seen so many cars almost ending up in the wrong lane going down MCR as they take that corner. Whatever engineer signed of on it should be ashamed of themselves.

I see even more cycle lanes have appeared on Pearse road between Markievicz Park and the Retail park, have the council learned nothing from the shambles that is Cemetery Road, where do they expect anyone attending a match in Markievicz park or a funeral in the cemetery to park their cars? All Pearse road from the retail park to Mail Coach road have cycle lanes on both sides along with Cemetary Road and Cleveragh Road, I suspect the the Mail coach road to the Garda Station will be next. it's about time the person in the Borough council coming up with these plans was fired!

On another rant about councils, this time the county council wasting money on print and postage by sending me out a reminder about renewing my dog licence two months after I did it, while they are millions in the red!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Cars are not suppose to park or enter lanes with a solid white in any circumstances.

Nevermind the fact that I'm up this road every day in a HGV, and whatever chance of a car not entering the cycle lanes, the truck takes up the cycle lane and the actual lane for traffic. Its an absolute disgrace. Laughable in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

The council get grants/money per km of bicycle lanes made. Just painting lines on a road aren't bicycle lanes. I hope not but I think a lot of these new lanes are accidents waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

6781 wrote: »
    The council get grants/money per km of bicycle lanes made. Just painting lines on a road aren't bicycle lanes. I hope not but I think a lot of these new lanes are accidents waiting to happen.

Untill drivers are given more training or used cop on in awareness to cyclists, and cyclists them self too take better precautions, these accidents will happen.

I used to live in London, and had a daily commute on bike of about 10 miles, also used the bike to get around, getting up to 100 miles plus some week, and have had nothing worse than the odd near miss, swear word, and raised fist.

Here, doing the fraction of cycling for getting around, have had many more near misses, from cars turning left, and infringing on cycle lanes without looking, undertaking cars turning right without looking, not watching when driving on roundabouts, etc etc, resulting in me have to break suddenly, or swerve many times, on a couple of ocassions bunny hoping on the pavement to avoid ending up under wheels, and one ocassion even getting hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

heard it was an inexperienced/naive engineer that got the ball rolling on this.
    it's a complete joke, add the strandhill road to the mix. not the wider part but from one of the sea roads inwards.
    junction at christies, what exactly were they thinking.... or not at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I know ...it's an absolute disgrace. Just wait till a morning when it's icy...there will be absolute mayhem at Christies corner.
    promethius wrote: »
    heard it was an inexperienced/naive engineer that got the ball rolling on this.
    it's a complete joke, add the strandhill road to the mix. not the wider part but from one of the sea roads inwards.
    junction at christies, what exactly were they thinking.... or not at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I noticed these new ones the other day. Whilst the lanes on pearse rd might be of some use, the ones on cemetry rd are a total waste of time, and only lead to confusion, have taken possible spaces away from people visiting the Cemetry, and their layout have possibly made it even more dangerous for cyclists.

Also need to send the traffic warden up there to start giving out tickets. Cars are not suppose to park or enter lanes with a solid white in any circumstances.

No parking tickets would ever be issued to gaa fans parking illegally.

Advertisement