Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlon Ireland 2014 Membership Fees

Options
  • 03-10-2013 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭

As a welcome to the new moderator pgibbo - lets get a controversial one in straight away to keep him on his toes.

I see membership dues for Tri Ireland are in for 2014 and as far as I can remember it was 50 euros last year + 3 euros handling fee

So its up to 55 euros this year + 3 handling fee so a 10% increase year on year, have they given any reason for this increase, is it good value?

I now have to enter 4 races to make it worthwhile to take one out, I cant remember the last year I did 4 races :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

catweazle wrote: »
    As a welcome to the new moderator pgibbo - lets get a controversial one in straight away to keep him on his toes.

I see membership dues for Tri Ireland are in for 2014 and as far as I can remember it was 50 euros last year + 3 euros handling fee

So its up to 55 euros this year + 3 handling fee so a 10% increase year on year, have they given any reason for this increase, is it good value?

I now have to enter 4 races to make it worthwhile to take one out, I cant remember the last year I did 4 races :o

It's to pay for all the draft marshals they used this year

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

No its not good value. The only benefit I see is public liability insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I rejoined even though I'm not likely to do too much racing next year.

I look at it as being able to join in with any triathlon club training session as a guest and see that as being where I get my value from. I spend several hundred rejoining a gym last year and as our new mod will attest, I rarely got to use the pool, I did more open water swimming with GTC and the Open Water Clinic at the start of the year. Also its nice to be sociable and get out the odd time with my own tri club on the bike.

At the equivalent of €4-5 for a couple of hours doing my hobby? €55 a year is not much

AND the discounts you get on presentation of your card!!!

How could I forget ?! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I rejoined even though I'm not likely to do too much racing next year.

I look at it as being able to join in with any triathlon club training session as a guest and see that as being where I get my value from. I spend several hundred rejoining a gym last year and as our new mod will attest, I rarely got to use the pool, I did more open water swimming with GTC and the Open Water Clinic at the start of the year. Also its nice to be sociable and get out the odd time with my own tri club on the bike.

At the equivalent of €4-5 for a couple of hours doing my hobby? €55 a year is not much

ROI?

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    ROI?

I got more out of the €50 / 55 investment last year than the multiple time that on the pool / gym membership.

Won't be gyming it in 2014.

Plus as mentioned by Oryx the insurance thingy too.

Plus as mentioned by Oryx the insurance thingy too.
    Bear in mind that is third party insurance only.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Holding a valid TI license is a prerequisite to be a member of a tri club, or at least it is for our club.
    So it is not just only for races.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I didn't pay a handling fee? Just paid 55 TI and 55 club membership...thought it had only gone up 2 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Keep in mind to get a cycling ireland race licence is €150+ i believe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I didn't pay a handling fee? Just paid 55 TI and 55 club membership...thought it had only gone up 2 euro

Yup, I just paid €55 total via cc, versus €53 last year. A 3.8% increase- over three times the highest 2013 inflation rate, heads should roll;)

Personally I think it's set at the right price- as mentioned above the real value is in the insurance aspect. As a newbie to Tri, I've been impressed by the overall work TI do in promoting and organizing the sport, and the quality of TI-sanctioned events I've completed in. There's lots of ways for them to improve, but in the main they get a lot more right than they get wrong.

I don't see the insurance as of any value at all, tbh. The likelihood of me being personally sued for an accident is slim, and the insurance does not cover me for personal accident. (Unlike in the UK where the BTF membership covers personal accident and legal fees.)

Regardless, I pay my dues every year, even if I dont do many races because its just one small fee in the year, for something I invest a lot in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Don't forget the benefit of a topaz fuel card. Think it has saved me more than the membership fee with it's fixed petrol/Diesel price. As i live in Galway the national average is normal 5c cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

topcat77 wrote: »
    Don't forget the benefit of a topaz fuel card. Think it has saved me more than the membership fee with it's fixed petrol/Diesel price. As i live in Galway the national average is normal 5c cheaper.

i got this too...BUT... you have to pay 25 quid up fron or something and save about 2 cent a litre (leinster area), so you have to get about 1250 litres before you break even. not that great

if you are saving 5c everytime (surprised) then fair enough. still take a while to break even

Advertisement