Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog trouble

• 03-10-2013 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

i have a six month old dog who is very hyper and i cant get him to calm down, its great during the day as we all love playing with him, bringing him for walks etc but at night he is still full off life and doesnt stop barking and running around until 2 or 3 am, can anyone help me with ideas or suggestions on how to stop this mad late night behaviour?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

What are you feeding him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

My dog is hyperactive as well..
    For sure a lot of walks and mental stimulation for him.
    Then a bit of crate training in the evening and I bought kongs and also big bones from the butcher to keep him enterteined!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 never2late29

Toulouse wrote: »
    What are you feeding him?

nuts only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

The brand was what I was after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

nuts only

What brand / type of nuts?
    Hyperactivity in dogs can be food related.....

What breed is your dog?

Is he neutered? They can also help calming a dog down...

But mainly its a combination of good food and exercise (also mental stimualtion) is the key.

• Advertisement

Toulouse wrote: »
    The brand was what I was after.

pedigree chum puppy nuts

cocker5 wrote: »
    What brand / type of nuts?
    Hyperactivity in dogs can be food related.....

What breed is your dog?

Is he neutered? They can also help calming a dog down...

But mainly its a combination of good food and exercise (also mental stimualtion) is the key.

pedigree chum puppy nuts
    he is a mini jack russel
    not neutered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

pedigree chum puppy nuts
    he is a mini jack russel
    not neutered

Ok so firstly move him to a better quality food, Supermarket brands are really poor food for dogs, full of crap to be honest, its like feeding your kids sweets all day, they are bound to be hpyer... better quality food doesnt have to cost the earth, plus you feed smaller portions so the cost work out the same a pedigree ... I feed my guys burns which is a reasonable price..

you can get it in your local vets or here:

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/burns/burns_puppy/156531

Have you considered neutering him? it really helped with my cocker when he was a pup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

There ya go, how would you expect a child fed purely on McDonalds to behave? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

A hyper bonkers pup can be quite the trial. We had a similar experience with one of ours. The good news is that they grow out of it. The bad news is it can take a while! Stock up on the booze/chocolate/comfort food!

Do you have a crate? I had to initiate a winding down routine with mine which was basically me for about six weeks having to corrall him into the crate every night. I wouldn't let him past me because I felt it was important for him to go in himself and not have me picking him up and putting him in because he'd get older and get peeved about it, not mention heavier! Then when I got him in, there was the rub down and quiet words of praise and soothing phrases, kind of like what you'd have to do to a child. But it worked. Okay, it started off taking half an hour to settle him but then it got down to five minutes. Now once I say 'bedtime', he gets comfortable and lies down. He's five years old now and he's been doing that since he was over a year old.

I'd look into changing his food as well. It can seriously contribute and I didn't realise until I changed our dog food because it wasn't agreeing with one of the other dogs and I began to realise the difference it was making to the other lad's energy levels. And that was on the Hill's Science Plan so you never know what effect the different brands will have. We changed to Barking Heads and we haven't looked back.

Bear in mind too, he's just a pup. Six months, they're just babies really and Jack Russells do have high energy and like to be going about the place. Which is cold comfort when it's 2am and you're ready to fall down asleep!

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement