Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ram Lamb prices?

• 03-10-2013 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Haven't had a chance to get to any ram sales yet this year,luckily don't need an adult ram but might buy a good Cheviot ram lamb if avail to put with a small no of ewes,anyone seen any sold?......suppose any good quality lamb would be up on 200 euro or so?....know it's prob a bit early for Ram lambs to be in sales.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Haven't had a chance to get to any ram sales yet this year,luckily don't need an adult ram but might buy a good Cheviot ram lamb if avail to put with a small no of ewes,anyone seen any sold?......suppose any good quality lamb would be up on 200 euro or so?....know it's prob a bit early for Ram lambs to be in sales.

I was down in blessington sheep Ireland sales last week . There was no Cheviots but Charolais Texarkana and Suffolk all started at. 250 up to 375.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mallethead

The mainn Wicklow chevoit sheep oweners association show and sale in blessington is Saturday
    i'll head in for a look and let you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

sea12 wrote: »
    I was down in blessington sheep Ireland sales last week . There was no Cheviots but Charolais Texarkana and Suffolk all started at. 250 up to 375.

I asked SI about Cheviots and they said there is feck all of them recording, most likely why they wouldn't be at a SI sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Lastin

What advantages would you see in using a Wicklow cheviot and what breed are your ewes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

mallethead wrote: »
    The mainn Wicklow chevoit sheep oweners association show and sale in blessington is Saturday
    i'll head in for a look and let you know
    Cheers,know its nearly always hogget rams at that sale but let us know what trade is like anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Lastin wrote: »
    What advantages would you see in using a Wicklow cheviot and what breed are your ewes?[/quote
    Have Cheviot ewes and Suffolk x from cheviot,
    Cheviots are great mothers,have good frames and produce v good lambs from a Suffolk ram,
    Would put Cheviot lamb with some cheviot ewes and a few nice Suffolk x ewes,to breed replacements.

a few nice Suffolk x ewes,to breed replacements.

If I remember right, there were some lovely cheviot suffolk x (lambs I think) at the ploughing.

To get the ones with the" nice heads" they don't use a Suffolk ram. Would the op not look a another breed rather than a glorified goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mallethead

Most People up our way use a chevoit or chevoit/ sufflolk cross
    Which would be highly thought of for producing a fat lamb
    you mustn't know too much about chevoits if you re calling them a glorified goaticon10.png

Maybe we will agree to disagree on this one, each to there own I suppose:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The cheviot ram sales in Blessington is some sight, some huge sheep , but how they would look without the wool I'm not sure , always found the cheviots to be narrow at the shoulder but I haven't had any around for a few years, those lairg sheep look good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

IMO the chevoits are the best sheep to produce on marginal ground .

And as said above crossed with a suffolk ram , the results are usually the best.
    There is a great demand for the ewe lambs and usually fetch great prices .

Iv never heard anyone make such a foolish comment as a calling them a glorified goat :confused: .

Although its hard to fatten pure chevoits , its the maternal ability of the ewe lambs that still makes it worthwhile when it takes that bit longer to finish the wethers .

I bought chevoit hoggets in Blessington today .
    The place was absolutely packed out the gate with rams ...
    Bought a hogget Chevoit Ram too .

Richk2012 wrote: »
    IMO the chevoits are the best sheep to produce on marginal ground .

And as said above crossed with a suffolk ram , the results are usually the best.
    There is a great demand for the ewe lambs and usually fetch great prices .

Iv never heard anyone make such a foolish comment as a calling them a glorified goat :confused: .

Although its hard to fatten pure chevoits , its the maternal ability of the ewe lambs that still makes it worthwhile when it takes that bit longer to finish the wethers .

I bought chevoit hoggets in Blessington today .
    The place was absolutely packed out the gate with rams ...
    Bought a hogget Chevoit Ram too .

Was there any Lairgs there Rich? I emailed the Wickla society (only cheviot society I knew of in Ireland) asking if they knew of any lairgs, I got ignored :D

Advertisement