Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Shops

• 03-10-2013 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Plan on getting a bit of work done to the bike over the winter months

Just wondering where to go?

Maybe if anybody has reviews from past experience of who to go to or who NOT to go to, it could prove handy for us members on the motorbike forum

The last thing any of us want is to leave our bike in with some cowboys :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭prunudo

nerrad1983 wrote: »
    Plan on getting a bit of work done to the bike over the winter months

Just wondering where to go?

Maybe if anybody has reviews from past experience of who to go to or who NOT to go to, it could prove handy for us members on the motorbike forum

The last thing any of us want is to leave our bike in with some cowboys :rolleyes:

Wouldn't mind knowing of somebody around north Wicklow. There isn't exactly a huge amount of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Thats exactly what i mean

Im not that long on bikes tbh and usually service it myself but for more technical work i wouldnt chance myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭prunudo

nerrad1983 wrote: »
    Thats exactly what i mean

Im not that long on bikes tbh and usually service it myself but for more technical work i wouldnt chance myself

Thing is, you need a decent shed/workshop aswell and proper tools too.

There's a guy who's supposed to be good in behind the topaz garage in Kilcroney but he only does BMW I think.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Its not wicklow but the nearest i can recommend is Bert in RPM - he's up the Dublin mountains behind Tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

As far as I'm aware we are not permitted yo give our opinion on shops in the motorbike section. That's my expience anyways.I am sure a mod will be along too clear things up soon enough.

Ofcourse I will pm you cos I'm a sound bloke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

leppla wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware we are not permitted yo give our opinion on shops in the motorbike section. That's my expience anyways.I am sure a mod will be along too clear things up soon enough.

Ofcourse I will pm you cos I'm a sound bloke!

Is this thread going to be locked soon then I wonder???

Thanks for pm mate, heard whats going on there, its bad form tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Zascar wrote: »
    Its not wicklow but the nearest i can recommend is Bert in RPM - he's up the Dublin mountains behind Tallaght

I've used Bert before. Top job from him but I thought he packed it in. Is he still working?

PS Could you PM me too?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

leppla wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware we are not permitted yo give our opinion on shops in the motorbike section.

Recommendations are fine and encouraged - but slagging off people/businesses who are not here to defend themselves just leads to a total mess - so none of that please.

Recommendations are fine and encouraged - but slagging off people/businesses who are not here to defend themselves just leads to a total mess - so none of that please.

So, a pointless thread then! If I want to read glowing reports about a shop I'll go onto their website for their own one sided view of the work they do.

Based on the above, if you have experience good/bad or indifferent of a shop could you PM myself, nerrad1983 and jvan

So personal recommendations from people who have good relationships with mechanics they would recommend to others are pointless? Ok...

We've had a few incidents of people coming on and completely trashing other people and businesses, then others coming along with hearsay to add flames to the fire. It's a disaster and it just causes big problems - you know how it works on boards and we can't have that. If you want to say things like he's expensive compared to X that's fine - but we won't have a repeat of the last time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

& yet the opposite is completely acceptable in the consumer affairs forum...bit of a double standard methinks?!

EG...http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057053130

With respect Zascar, I am not trying to undermine your Mod status, I just think it would be a more helpful resource for up & coming bikers to have the wisdom of ages re., motorcycle mechanics etc., passed on by us 'auld fellas' to the young Turks as we have experience of the 'cowboys & shysters' out there in this small community of ours.

I agree slagging off a person/business is out of order, but an honest fair review of a 'bad business' surely wouldn't be infringing upon boards.ie terms of use?

I stand to be corrected...

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

I have dealt with NDM,RPM,Cotters,Bikeworld,Crossans and a couple of online places.

Anyone interested in hearing my opinion and experiences feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As boards grows it's become more important now to protect boards from angry businesses that feel they have been slated by posters here. Thus it's easier to have "recommendations only" policy in this public forum. If someone asks about a particular shop and you have a bad experience there's always PM..

What we are especially trying to avoid is short posts along the lines of "don't go to XYZ, they're cowboys" since we can't fully know a poster's reasons to put a particular business down.

The older bikers will have both bad and good experience from various shops/garages and are very much encouraged to share the good experiences.
    Let the good businesses bloom and the bad businesses wither from lack of online exposure.

The Consumer Issues forum deals with specific cases and what rights consumer laws can provide. Other boards users can give advice on the specific case. It doesn't deal with "recommend me a shop" threads.

Most important question then is: Can we slag Wonda-Boy then? :D

There will be infractions if you don't! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

biko wrote: »
    As boards grows it's become more important now to protect boards from angry businesses that feel they have been slated by posters here. Thus it's easier to have "recommendations only" policy in this public forum. If someone asks about a particular shop and you have a bad experience there's always PM..

What we are especially trying to avoid is short posts along the lines of "don't go to XYZ, they're cowboys" since we can't fully know a poster's reasons to put a particular business down.

The older bikers will have both bad and good experience from various shops/garages and are very much encouraged to share the good experiences.
    Let the good businesses bloom and the bad businesses wither from lack of online exposure.

The Consumer Issues forum deals with specific cases and what rights consumer laws can provide. Other boards users can give advice on the specific case. It doesn't deal with "recommend me a shop" threads.
    KTRIC gave a good account of his dealings with Harley Dublin. If you give a good story and include details then it shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭boom boom boom

Any chance someone could pm me or post the names of numbers of a few mechanics south dublin please? Need carbs balanced and cleaned. But the couple of proper garages I was in, where looking for 50 quid an hour. More looking for someone reliable but to do in their own time or bring home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Any chance someone could pm me or post the names of numbers of a few mechanics south dublin please? Need carbs balanced and cleaned. But the couple of proper garages I was in, where looking for 50 quid an hour. More looking for someone reliable but to do in their own time or bring home.

PM sent

Advertisement