Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Alarm problem

Options
  • 03-10-2013 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a wired HKC alarm, but my garage has a wireless PIR, every now and again, the keypad starts beeping and says there is a fault with my garage zone, just tap in our code, it stops beeping and all is fine again for a few days maybe a week, I changed the battery in it about six months ago, the alarm is fitted about 2.5 years, I have not tried to call HKC direct for advice, but I am told they will only deal with installers.

Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

clogher71 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have a wired HKC alarm, but my garage has a wireless PIR, every now and again, the keypad starts beeping and says there is a fault with my garage zone, just tap in our code, it stops beeping and all is fine again for a few days maybe a week, I changed the battery in it about six months ago, the alarm is fitted about 2.5 years, I have not tried to call HKC direct for advice, but I am told they will only deal with installers.

Any ideas??

Is it the hybrid system you have installed?
    What does it say on the keypad when you disarm the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

I am sorry, I don't understand what you mean by a hybrid system.

Its says something along the lines of zone garage PIR and the fault light is illuminated

I am sorry, I don't understand what you mean by a hybrid system.

Its says something along the lines of zone garage PIR and the fault light is illuminated

This is the hybrid system.

Is your control panel, not keypad made of steel or the polycarbonate housing?

Yes, its like the one in the link...hard plastic.

Yes, its like the one in the link...hard plastic.

Sounds like it may be a problem with communication with the panel. Is it a comms fault being shown on the keypad?

• Advertisement

thanks altor, I don't remember what it said exactly on the keypad, but the text message it sends every time is 'Supervisory Z011 Pir garage',

thanks altor, I don't remember what it said exactly on the keypad, but the text message it sends every time is 'Supervisory Z011 Pir garage',

That is the problem so. You could try move it to a different location in the Garage to see if that helps.

Move it as near as I can to the control panel?, its not getting the signal properly?
    Its not that far away, is there such thing as something interfering with the signal?

How do I 'turn off' the alarm so I can move the PIR without setting off the alarm?

Thanks a mill...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Move it as near as I can to the control panel?, its not getting the signal properly?
    Its not that far away, is there such thing as something interfering with the signal?

How do I 'turn off' the alarm so I can move the PIR without setting off the alarm?

Thanks a mill...

Do you have the engineer code to put it into engineer mode?

Thanks a mill...

It is more than likely something interfering with the sensor. Hopefully moving it to a different location will improve the signal.
    You dont need the engineer code to move the sensor. Once the alarm is not set it will indicate a tamper on the keypad. Simply enter your user code to stop the beeps. Move the PIR to another location in the garage. If you had the engineer code you code check the signal strength before fitting in the new location but if not you are just seeing if you can resolve the issue by moving.

• Advertisement

I think I have the engineers code guys.....I have one code that lets me into more functions.....Are we talking something metal interfering? It does not have a pattern when it happens, it could be the middle of night, just wondering is there anything I should be 'keeping it away from' when I move it.

I think I have the engineers code guys.....I have one code that lets me into more functions.....Are we talking something metal interfering? It does not have a pattern when it happens, it could be the middle of night, just wondering is there anything I should be 'keeping it away from' when I move it.

Mains cables and metal. When you enter the other code you have does it say authorized by?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

How long is this happening? Has anything been parked between the house and garage that has not been there before?
    Is there anything new or different in your neighbourhood that is broadcasting radio signals?
    Any new

altor wrote: »
    Mains cables and metal. When you enter the other code you have does it say authorized by?

Cant see authorized by, but there is walk test, chime test, managers menu etc

@kop, it did cross my mind, but I thought it might be silly, and now I am after looking at my phone texts, we changed car, and it looks like the first time it happened was the day we got the car, it is normally parked between the house and the garage.

Are we on to something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Cant see authorized by, but there is walk test, chime test, managers menu etc

@kop, it did cross my mind, but I thought it might be silly, and now I am after looking at my phone texts, we changed car, and it looks like the first time it happened was the day we got the car, it is normally parked between the house and the garage.

Are we on to something here?

Interesting, basically the beam communicates with your control panel via radio waves, so if your new car has more electronics? metal etc. than your last one then it may be the source of the interference.

Can you park it in another position, so that it is not between the house and garage. If for no other reason just to determine if this is the cause, it is a bit of a coincidence alright,

Yes it does have more gizmos, sat nav was the one that caught my mind, with the GPS antenna, but you would imagine it would do it more often once a week. I don't have houses near me, so it could be the culprit, the car is away for the weekend and I am home so I will get a better chance to monitor.

Yes it does have more gizmos, sat nav was the one that caught my mind, with the GPS antenna, but you would imagine it would do it more often once a week. I don't have houses near me, so it could be the culprit, the car is away for the weekend and I am home so I will get a better chance to monitor.

Yes but once the car is off so would these devices in the car. I would monitor to see if the car being parked between the control panel and device is the problem but it could be anything, If the range of the sensor was to far to begin with then moving the sensor might sort the issue. The only way to know is to monitor the location and signal strength in engineer mode.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

With HKC can you fit an external receiver nearer the device that's troublesome. ?

KoolKid wrote: »
    With HKC can you fit an external receiver nearer the device that's troublesome. ?

Yes you can but ideally you would want to know what the issue is first as simply moving the detector might sort the problem. The signal strength can be greatly increased by moving the detector to a different location without the need for an receiver.

Agreed, but sometimes a second receiver may be the better option if it can increase the signal by a much higher percentage . Particularly if it can be located at the keypad and if that's close to the zone involved.

• Advertisement

Ideally having the engineer code to test the signal strength of the sensor would be the better option. I would only consider installing the receiver if moving the sensor did not solve the issue.

The signal is clearly an issue. If moving the device solves the problem and gives an acceptable signal level then happy day. However in many cases like this it would only improve marginally or to borderline levels. If in any doubt improving the wireless network is always a good idea anyway.

The signal is clearly an issue. If moving the device solves the problem and gives an acceptable signal level then happy day. However in many cases like this it would only improve marginally or to borderline levels. If in any doubt improving the wireless network is always a good idea anyway.

That would only depend on what is blocking the signal. Could be any number of issues here but without seeing the engineer signal strength as the sensor is moved we will never know. I still would rather move the sensor before paying extra to have the repeater installed. As a last resort the op will have no option to do this but then again he will also need the engineer code to do this too.

I agree it needs to be seen, it is also going to need engineer access one way or another.
    In most cases, in my experience, increasing the signal solves most issues.
    Is HKC s a separate receiver or a repeater?
    How expensive are these from HKC.?
    It's relatively cheap to do with Siemens so I'd normally do it if there are any issues at all.

The receiver for the HKC system can be hardwired to the control panel.
    If used as wire free it acts as a repeater. It needs to be supplied with 12V.
    It is just over half price of the Siemens wireless gateway expander.

That's a bit limited.. Is there no option to install in the keypad??

Having a wired and wire free version in one is limited :rolleyes:

altor wrote: »
    Having a wired and wire free version in one is limited :rolleyes:

Compared to being able to install one into a keypad it is. A keypad is often near a front door so its the obvious choice to extend the range to a garage or for remotes or PAs.. A repeater needs a good signal at its location, this doesn't.

Compared to being able to install one into a keypad it is. A keypad is often near a front door so its the obvious choice to extend the range to a garage or for remotes or PAs.. A repeater needs a good signal at its location, this doesn't.

All wire free devices need a good signal. The location of the device and the receiver is what determine this. Same with the location of the receiver in the keypad. Not always going to solve the issue but the options there to add either a wired or wire free version to a different location.

• Advertisement

But that's what I'm saying???
    A receiver that can install into a keypad doesn't need a good signal as it's in direct connection to the panel via the existing keypad bus. It also doesnt need any cabling as it plugs directly onto the keypad PCB. More flexible, cheaper and less limited in my opinion.

Advertisement