Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Alarm problem

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

Have to disagree with you there.
    That would make the receiver limited as its location depends on a keypad.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Not if you have the added benefit of also being able to install it anywhere on any keypad bus.
    Next!!

KoolKid wrote: »
    Not if you have the added benefit of also being able to install it anywhere on any keypad bus.
    Next!!

Are you saying the keypad receiver SPCW112 can be installed on the keypad bus without a keypad:confused:

Or are you talking about the SPCW130?
    Which can be hardwired to the keypad bus!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The receivers fit into the keypad or into the gateway which can wire into anywhere on any keypad bus. Covers all possibilities really..

The receivers fit into the keypad or into the gateway which can wire into anywhere on any keypad bus. Covers all possibilities really..

That is a more expensive option but can be done!!!
    Cable for the bus also needs to be accessible to do same.

• Advertisement

And on the opposite side the receiver alone is a cheaper option than a gateway or repeater.

A receiver that can install into a keypad doesn't need a good signal as it's in direct connection to the panel via the existing keypad bus. It also doesnt need any cabling as it plugs directly onto the keypad PCB. More flexible, cheaper and less limited in my opinion.

I would not say this is more flexible, more limited as it can only either go in the control panel or the keypad.
    To attach to the gateway you would be looking at installing a SPCW130 which works out more than the HKC equivalent.
    And on the opposite side the receiver alone is a cheaper option than a gateway or repeater.

Adding the receiver is the cheaper option as but it is limited to the location of the device your looking to add it too.

The SPCW130 is limited as such as it needs to be wired to the keypad bus.

Can the SPCW130 act as a repeater if given a local power supply?

So you don't see the benefit & flexibility of a receiver that can be wired anywhere on any keypad bus or plug tidily into the panel or any keypad but you do in a receiver that has to be either wired or within good reception range in the first place??
    And the wireless one still needs power? You would be better off wiring it so!

I haven't come across a wireless installation that can't be covered by one of those solutions. The ability to put a very cheap receiver into any keypad really is the most flexible solution IMO.
    Its cheap.
    Its neat.
    Its already getting power from the panel so it doesn't need another power supply.
    Its not dependent on there already being reception in the location.
    A keypad if often close to the front door so its ideal to extend garage reception & keyfobs. If you wire a keypad into a second area you can easily & cheaply add wireless there as well...
    I could go on & on listing the advantages & flexibility, but, as you know, some people will always find an excuse to disagree. ;)

I do see the benefit of adding the receiver into the keypad.
    Just dont agree with your opinion that it is:
    less limited in my opinion.

Most control panels are located beside a fuse board at a front door too so adding the receiver to the keypad located there is not going to benefit anyone.
    Even the bus line to the keypad here would be of no use.
    If you wire a keypad into a second area you can easily & cheaply add wireless there as well...

So now you are running a cable plus having to add a second keypad.

More expense:confused:
    I could go on & on listing the advantages & flexibility, but, as you know, some people will always find an excuse to disagree. ;)

You could but unless it proves the receiver is limitless you will be wasting your time ;)

As I said, love to argue..
    I love how you are so quick to jump on something that's more expensive but ignore what's cheaper, easier and tidier.
    So your argument is I can't say something is limited in it function unless I am comparing with something that's limited???
    That's almost as good as your zero resistance.
    Once again your logic goes out the window just for the sake of an argument....
    [sigh]

• Advertisement

I said I do see the benefit of adding the receiver into the keypad.
    Wont suit all cases.

It is you who is claiming the receiver is limitless.
    Have not seen anything to say it is???

I know you said this:
    Next!!

Its not like the receiver (cheap as it is) can be added directly to the keypad bus like you say. It needs a gateway, keypad or control panel to be plugged into..

Next!!!

altor wrote: »
    I said I do see the benefit of adding the receiver into the keypad.
    Wont suit all cases.
    I know , someone will always come up with something it wont suit.
    But it suits most in my experience. I haven't come across an issue I couldn't solve using an additional receiver.
    It is you who is claiming the receiver is limitless.
    Have not seen anything to say it is???
    Did I say that ?:confused:
    I know I said
    More flexible, cheaper and less limited in my opinion.
    and
    I could go on & on listing the advantages & flexibility
    and I know you said..
    You could but unless it proves the receiver is limitless you will be wasting your time ;)
    As pretty much nothing is limitless this really shows your insistence to argue over anything over & over...
    Its not like the receiver (cheap as it is) can be added directly to the keypad bus like you say. It needs a gateway, keypad or control panel to be plugged into..
    Obviously something that plugs onto a PCB board in a panel or keypad etc is going to need a separate interface to hard wire onto a cable or into terminals in a panel.
    Are you really down to that level of picking posts apart just for the hell of it?

I haven't myself as I find fitting the control panel in a central location prevents issues arising. Yes it may suit some cases installing a receiver in the keypad but not all.

That is what makes the receiver limited in my opinion.

With the panel in a central location this is when a keypad receiver works best.
    A keypad at the front and/or back door is ideal for extending the range or wireless fobs or sheds/ garages etc in either garden.
    I also find then great if you wire a keypad to a shed or another area out of range you then have full signal there .

Always find it best to use wired devices if possible to get a cable to a shed, but yes the more receivers installed on a system the better.

Advertisement