Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you give your dog any chocolate ever?

• 03-10-2013 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

I'm forever telling and am a bore about it, to never give dogs chocolate. I talked around on elderly lady recently to stop and she switched to club goldgrain!
    A bit of science behind this article.
    http://www.theinternetpetvet.com/dogs-chocolate-2/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

No, I don't but one of my old dogs managed to eat a tray load of Roses at Christmas once, left the wrappers, which you have to admit is very impressive. He survived, but definitely not something I would do by choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

No, never.
    I remember one time a few months back when I was out with the dogs and I got talking to an old man. He pulled a bag of chocolate raisins out of his pocket to give to the dogs :eek: Needless to say, I politely declined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

No, never ever. Not just because of the theobromine. So bad for their teeth, and empty calories!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

When we were much younger we used to train the family dogs with cadbury buttons :eek: We didn't know then that chocolate was bad.

One of my JRTs age a box of butlers dark chocolates when he was about 12 weeks old, we were freaked out but he was ok thankfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

My auntie's dog snaffled a four pack of Cadbury's Flake... Had terrible diarrhoea and was bouncing off the walls for hours afterwards. It was horrible for her! Thankfully it was milk chocolate, not the dark stuff or it could have been a lot worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

A while back two of mine came racing down the stairs with a whole half an easter each in their mouths....they had robbed an open egg from the window ledge. But the crazy thing about it was they legged it downstairs to me delighted with themselves but hadnt even taken a nibble off it. It still baffles me. Maybe they knew.....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Never, if he is getting any human food it's veg, maybe some spud, tins of sardines, meat etc, never anything sweet.

He did once get into a bag of Easter treats though, ate whole lot, I was taking a nap and woke up to a psycho dog, he was literally bouncing off the wall, his pupils were huge, he must a have drank about 3-4 litres of water in about 2 hours, he was panting like you have never seen a dog pant and he was really hot I had to ring the vet as it was out of hours vet just said to keep an eye on him as it was cheap milk chocolate and he was probably reacting to the sugar more than anything. Honestly he was like someone after taking a load of drugs, think of the most hyper dog you have ever met and multiply that by ten, it was crazy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I think we've had this discussion on here before and ascertained that there's probably not a lot of theobromine in the cadburys dairy milk type chocolate bars and subsequently if a medium to large dog stole a bar of generic milk chocolate and scarfed it, they'd be a bit sick and a bit sugar-hyper but probably not in danger of death.

Family member told me a story last week, however, about a pup being babysat for a few hours and it stole a single-serve bar of green and blacks 70% cocoa. Thankfully the sitters quite rightly called the vet who said 'come in, please' and had to give the pup an emetic and a saline drip plus an overnight hospital stay. That was one expensive chocolate bar...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

2Bn was spent on tobacco related illnesses in the HSE last year (4bn on booze related, 400m on all other drugs combined... but yeah, fncking junkies eh?). We ALL pay for those tax (Duty on cigs was only 1.3Bn) but only smokers COST them.

Smokers clog the queues for lung transplants which leaves others to die on the list.

And still I would defend smokers right to smoke... all I'm saying is "meet us half way". Go outside for your cig yeah? Its not much to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭Heroditas

DeVore wrote: »
    2Bn was spent on tobacco related illnesses in the HSE last year (4bn on booze related, 400m on all other drugs combined... but yeah, fncking junkies eh?). We ALL pay for those tax (Duty on cigs was only 1.3Bn) but only smokers COST them.

Smokers clog the queues for lung transplants which leaves others to die on the list.

And still I would defend smokers right to smoke... all I'm saying is "meet us half way". Go outside for your cig yeah? Its not much to ask.

Ehhhh..... :D

• Advertisement

There there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

My old man ate the doggy chocolate we got our dog for christmass :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

Did you post on right thread?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

ekevosu wrote: »
    Did you post on right thread?

Feck... Do you think this was aimed at Josh? :-o

DeV, is Josh SMOKING? :-o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

DBB wrote: »
    Feck... Do you think this was aimed at Josh? :-o

DeV, is Josh SMOKING? :-o

Do you give your dog any cigarettes, ever?

I'm sure I've posted before about my beloved old Westie... He was an Olympic gold medallist in the "Find the Chocolate" event, even climbing up sheer book-cases to get the 1lb box of Milk Tray that was on top, waving at him, calling him, tantalising him.
    I came home to several pools of chocovomit on the floor, and a very sorry-for-himself, sugar-filled Westie, chocolate smeared all over his beard like the nun in Father Ted who stole the Easter egg.
    He'd eaten every last sweet, bar one. The only one I won't eat... Turkish Delight. It appears we had similar tastes. But that didn't stop the little fecker from sucking all the chocolate off the Turkish Delight before spitting it out.
    Ahhh.... Gotta love Westies.
    :-D

ekevosu wrote: »
    Do you give your dog any cigarettes, ever?

I don't allow it, but how do I know what they get up to behind the bike shed?!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm sure I've posted before about my beloved old Westie... He was an Olympic gold medallist in the "Find the Chocolate" event, even climbing up sheer book-cases to get the 1lb box of Milk Tray that was on top, waving at him, calling him, tantalising him.
    I came home to several pools of chocovomit on the floor, and a very sorry-for-himself, sugar-filled Westie, chocolate smeared all over his beard like the nun in Father Ted who stole the Easter egg.
    He'd eaten every last sweet, bar one. The only one I won't eat... Turkish Delight. It appears we had similar tastes. But that didn't stop the little fecker from sucking all the chocolate off the Turkish Delight before spitting it out.

I met someone once who also had a red setter, as did I at the time.

Her dog was called Raffles after the "gentleman thief"

Now one christmas when I was overcome with a surfeit of Christmas spirit, we came down with a fit of madness, and despite having piles of dogs, put up a tree with those chocolate covered trees.

A couple of days later we noticed they looked a bit limp.

The red setter had sneakily devoured all the chocolate overnight.

TBH I'd not worry about a couple of chocolates of the normal variety, I'd be very concerned if a dog ate a bar of 85% dark chocolate tho!

THe higher the quality of chocolate, the worse it is, it's like potatoes etc.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

D'OH

I was going to post about how Josh seems to dislike "doggie chocolate" but then got annoyed with a thread about smoking in AH. ngggh.

Josh actually hates smoke and barks like mad at even the neighbours chimneys!

Hmm.. I may have train-wrecked this thread :)

Stheno wrote: »

TBH I'd not worry about a couple of chocolates of the normal variety, I'd be very concerned if a dog ate a bar of 85% dark chocolate tho!

Don't get me wrong, I can laugh about it now (just as well, because "The Milk Tray Incident" was not the last), but on the night, my vet got a hysterical, tearful call from me. But yeah, whilst it's not good for them, milk choc is not dangerous to an otherwise healthy dog other than causing a big tummy ache, but the high quality, cocoa-rich choc is dangerous and needs immediate vet attention.
    This thread is giving me the munchies :-D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Don't get me wrong, I can laugh about it now (just as well, because "The Milk Tray Incident" was not the last), but on the night, my vet got a hysterical, tearful call from me. But yeah, whilst it's not good for them, milk choc is not dangerous to an otherwise healthy dog other than causing a big tummy ache, but the high quality, cocoa-rich choc is dangerous and needs immediate vet attention.
    This thread is giving me the munchies :-D

I'd the same and learned a good lesson.

Lock up the good choc!
    I've a bar of Lilys 85% cocoa here if you are stuck :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

You will never understand what it's like to have a Westie unless you own one. Their personalities are amazing.

They have no fear, they are extremely headstrong, stubborn and much more intelligent that people give them credit for.

Last Easter I could see it in my Sams eyes he was going to go for my Easter Egg at one stage or another. I had it in the press in the sitting room, he sniffed it out easily, and was trying to figure out how to open it. Sat there growling until someone came over to him and opened it, eventually had to put it in the fridge and dogs aren't allowed near the fridge in my kitchen, I still reckon he tries to open it to get at the ham

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭frecklier

My dad's a vet, and when we were growing up, our dog ate anything we ate. The only thing we couldn't give him was small bones. Dog lived til age 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

Our dogs are safe; I cannot afford chocolate of any kind...kind person just gave me a wee bar of Cadbury but no way will the dogs even see it,...it is sitting by my bed being "enjoyed" in my mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 name0123

we have a bichon and she loves chocolate, often when she gets out on us the only way to get her back in is to go outside with the biscuit tin and she will come running back, as soon as she sees someone going to the treat press she is over waiting for some,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

As a general rule, no, but he has been known to get half a malteaser now and then. Of course he has known a full bag of malteasers as well - I was lying on the couch watching telly, and the little jerk snook up - "YOINK" and away he went, delighted with himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

When I was a kid our dog at home used to get all the coconut and coffee sweets out of the Roses and Quality Street tins at Christmas as we all hated them. Poor fella must have thought they were the only ones in the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Christmas day a few years ago, the box of celebrations were on the floor. My Sis in laws Japanese Spitz took a few trips to the box, and pick out a bounty every single time.

Must be a strong smell from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

My pair will sit and drool if there's any human chocolate around but they never get it, and luckily we're the household that prefers the cadburys/galaxy milky milk chocolate rather than the high percentage cocoa pure stuff! Although when offered they will refuse those doggie choc drops, and it takes a lot for my rescue boy to refuse treats. They never manage to pilfer any either, I have a human here that I have to hide the chocolate from so it ends up in the most unlikely of places or hidden in the freezer (I love frozen chocolate)

My sisters boss always used to feed her dog cadburys buttons as treats. The dog lived til she was 16/17 but maybe it was all the meat and fresh cod that the dog was also fed;).

• Advertisement

Our kiki loved maltesers, she went mental for them. Generally don't give them any choc or raisins though
    Special doggy chocolate sure or the beef treats or bacon, they loooove that

Advertisement