Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Pass/Ordinary Level science

• 03-10-2013 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi I am a transition year looking for help. I found out yesterday that I was invited to compete in the Junior Science Olympiad 26th October to take an exam to see if I can make the actual team.

I need to know a science subject (biology chemistry or physics) up to pass LC standard for the exam and am wondering what course is the easiest to cover fast (I only have a few weeks!)

I am planning to study biology for LC
    I want to be a vet so need to also study chemistry for LC
    I love maths so am very tempted to do physics!

Please help me choose, and it would be great if someone could give me tips on how to start!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

sotisme wrote: »
    Hi I am a transition year looking for help. I found out yesterday that I was invited to compete in the Junior Science Olympiad 26th October to take an exam to see if I can make the actual team.

I need to know a science subject (biology chemistry or physics) up to pass LC standard for the exam and am wondering what course is the easiest to cover fast (I only have a few weeks!)

I am planning to study biology for LC
    I want to be a vet so need to also study chemistry for LC
    I love maths so am very tempted to do physics!

Please help me choose, and it would be great if someone could give me tips on how to start!

Honestly i don't really see how you can cover any of the sciences (even just to pass standard) in only a few weeks! that is no time at all, but you asked so... i would suggest picking out the main biology topics , ecology,respiration,photosynthesis, reproduction,plants and making sure they are covered really well ( do 1 per week) then get as many of the next important topics covered as you can ,definitions etc do a couple of human systems , heart/breathing,maybe bacteria/viruses , i don't know if you could get all that done but its my only suggestion , best of luck :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

Do whichever you liked most at JC. With that little time, you need to pick a subject you know you enjoy so you can spend a metric **** ton of time just cramming it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Thanks guys for your replies, after talking to teachers and students who have been through the Olympiad process, I have decided not to bother learning anything new as it simply is too much!I will revise my JC notes.

Thanks again :)

That's a shame, but probably the best plan of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

Science is your thing! Do all three! You'll love them all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

If your gonna sit the chemistry exam btw learn how to balance equations!!

You're about a month late to the thread and the event OP was discussing happened about two weeks ago.

Advertisement